Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year

Valve announces plans for a second free add-on for Portal 2 coming to their puzzle/platformer early next year. Word is this will include the recently revealed improved editing program:

October 21, 2011 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the second game add-on for the year's highest rated multiplatform game, Portal 2, is in development and targeted for release early next year.

This major update will feature an easy-to-use in-game map editor that will let users design, build and share their own single-player and co-op test chambers with the community, who will be able to view, play and vote on them with a simple click.

Portal 2 was released April 19, and currently holds a Metacritic score of 95%, making it the top-rated multiplatform game of 2011. Its first content update, "Peer Review", came out two weeks ago.

View
4. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 16:27 Kastagir

As I recall, the creative director (?) behind the HL2 story (and Portal) is seriously ill and on a leave of absence. I don't believe this was the chief writer for HL2, and I can't remember his name. I'm fairly certain it is not Marc Laidlaw, but a less well-known individual. I got the strong impression, following such news items, that Gabe Newell and Marc Laidlaw will not continue the HL2 storyline without this individual's contribution and that said individual's "burnout" was the reason for Portal being developed rather than Episode Three.

Gabe has said a number of things that have been contradicted. He said in 2004 that he didn't want to make fans wait 6 years for a sequel to HL2, so he chose an episodic development approach. Seven years later it's hard to see that as anything but a failure or a lie. In May of this year he also said that this model has been completely replaced, though what it has been replaced with is anyone's guess.

Personally, I have not purchased a single Valve title, or anything on Steam, since the Orange Box. And I will not purchase anything from Valve (or on Steam) until HL3 Episode Three is released. This may seem extreme, but my boycott of Steam is due to my dislike of the platform and its unfriendliness to third party mods. My boycott of Valve titles is more to do with a complete lack of interest in anything they've released since HL2 and Portal.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 21, 15:42 Re: Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year Lobster
  2. Oct 21, 16:01 How about Half-Life... kanniballl
  3. Oct 21, 16:26  Re: How about Half-Life... Elessar
  14. Oct 22, 10:51   Re: How about Half-Life... kanniballl
>> 4. Oct 21, 16:27  Re: How about Half-Life... Kastagir
  5. Oct 21, 16:36   Re: How about Half-Life... Elessar
  6. Oct 21, 16:40    Re: How about Half-Life... Jow
  8. Oct 21, 17:20    Re: How about Half-Life... elefunk
  9. Oct 21, 17:47     Re: How about Half-Life... Rhett
  12. Oct 22, 01:22    Re: How about Half-Life... space captain