Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week

Robot Entertainment announces Artifacts of Power, the first DLC for Orcs Must Die!, their just-released action/strategy hybrid. They say this will be released on Tuesday via Steam, and is the first of two planned DLC packs, a topic they remained tightlipped about as recently as ten days ago. Here are the items the $2.49 pack adds:

• Vampiric Gauntlets – Armed with these grim gauntlets, you can drain the enemy’s health while healing you at the same time. If you have a desperate need to use spells, you can also use the gauntlets to drain your health in exchange for mana.
  • Alchemist’s Satchel – Toss a series of deadly acid bombs that explode on your command to melt flesh from the bones of multiple groups of orcs at once.
  • The Shock Zapper – Mount the Shock Zapper on the ceiling and zap fliers and ground units equally dead with this oversized pest remover.
  • Floor Scorcher – By the time they see the fire, it will be too late. Burn entire groups of complacent enemies with this pop-up flaming surprise.
  • New Trap Upgrades – You’ve got two new reasons to go back and earn those 5-skull ratings on War Mage and Nightmare levels. With the Artifacts of Power Pack, you can now spend skulls on new upgrades for Shock Zapper and Floor Scorcher.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 22, 2011, 10:01 OldTimber

I had this and dungeon defenders in my cart on steam. Played the demo of both and instantly bought this one and deleted that pile of crap looking dungeon defenders. DD already had a negative in my book by running that pos unreal crap so it had to overcome that to begin with. Didn't really help how bad it looked with a cluttered interface, horrible looking character models trying to do a cell shader look, nice wizard btw hadn't seen the orko look since ummm Magicka a few months ago now, really didn't cut it. OMD on the other hand looked clean well designed being stylistically similar to Torchlight and even WoW. Coop? Hell MMO it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 18:12 Malacai

I completely disregarded your comments when you let us know that you hadn't played the game.

"In what world does this game deserve $15 when I'm probably going to beat it in one day and then you pay another $2.50 for additional content?!"

I love this game. Its levels propel me along like Portal 2 levels did. Is there a kill filter on blues?

24. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 17:54 bigspender

CO

-

OP

DLC

PLZ

23. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 17:39 Slashman

There is nothing wrong with OMD. It's a very polished game that looks and plays great for the price. It's got 24+ levels to play and an entertaining story to boot.

It doesn't need multiplayer to make it worth the price.

I may or may not buy this DLC...but if they offer more levels, then they can definitely have my money for them. I believe in rewarding developers who deliver good products.

Dungeon Defenders may have a bigger checklist of features...but that doesn't make a game great either. I like the look and feel of OMD. I don't need to play it with someone else to validate my experience.

22. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 16:57 Ravor

This is a great game, easily worth the money. It would make an awesome adventure type of game or RPG.. wish they'd go in that direction.  

21. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 16:56 DrEvil

Bhruic wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 15:53:
Why? Isn't this the equivalent of preorder swords or something?

You don't generally pay extra for a pre-order, so I wouldn't consider this equivalent. And while, yes, the "pay for items" concept seems to be rather common, I still consider it a mark against any developer that uses it - especially this close to release. It just screams "here's some cool stuff we left out of the game so we could charge you extra for it".

Or, in some cases, screams "gamers blazed through our content so fast they're demanding more content ASAP!".

I admit there are very few cases where I'm willing to give a developer that though.

It's really a lose-lose situation for developers though. If you continue to deliver new, paid content for your game, it keeps your game commercially alive and attracts new customers. But it can alienate your existing customer base.

If you give away all updates for free, you start eating into a game's initial profits in hopes of attracting enough new customers to make up for it and still turn a profit.

20. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 16:21 Esoteric

I played the demo of OMD and thought it was a good game, but I held off buying it because Dungeon Defenders was coming out soon. I'm glad I waited, because although I'm sure I would have enjoyed OMD, DD offers soooo much more. I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long, long time.  

19. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 15:53 Bhruic

Why? Isn't this the equivalent of preorder swords or something?

You don't generally pay extra for a pre-order, so I wouldn't consider this equivalent. And while, yes, the "pay for items" concept seems to be rather common, I still consider it a mark against any developer that uses it - especially this close to release. It just screams "here's some cool stuff we left out of the game so we could charge you extra for it".

18. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 14:51 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 14:11:
Tower defense games aren't really that appealing to me, so I wasn't considering getting this anyway, but if I was, this announcement would have changed my mind. It's bad enough when the major developers go the immediate paid DLC route, but for an indie dev to do it is just nuts.

Why? Isn't this the equivalent of preorder swords or something? If they were doing paid levels ten days after release then I guess I might be on board with "hey what gives here". I've kinda given up on fighting the DLC item battle because the industry in general makes a lot of money on it and it isn't going anywhere. Preorder, post-release, exclusive blahblah crap, its everywhere now.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

17. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 14:11 Bhruic

Tower defense games aren't really that appealing to me, so I wasn't considering getting this anyway, but if I was, this announcement would have changed my mind. It's bad enough when the major developers go the immediate paid DLC route, but for an indie dev to do it is just nuts.  

16. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 14:04 Darks

Tumbler wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 12:37:
Cmon man, I hate ripoff DLC's also but not only do you get alot of content in the original for $15 bucks but $2.50 for a few items and upgrades isn't much to ask from these guys.

They put out a solid game for cheap, and the dlc content isn't too bad, I'll bite and support them, and more important, have fun doing it.

This is a $10 game if the buyer feels generous. At $15 they should be offering this DLC free of charge to existing owners and dropping the price on the core game to account for the DLC purchase for new buyers.

This game is overpriced. Adding DLC for free would work to bring it more in line with a fair price.

I’d be will to bet that if this game had sold for 20 dollars you would be in here bitching it should be 15 dollars. Pretty pathetic dude, getting well over 20 hours of game play for a 15 dollar price tag is damn good value.

The only thing I have been disapointed about in this game was the lack of Coop. but that may come at a later dsate. I know many or pushing the dev for it.

Buts it people like you who will never be happy no matter what the cost of a game is.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

15. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 14:01 SpectralMeat

Here is a video of the new DLC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tNSn6N1UBd4

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 13:38 nin

to which a Dev posted saying that there were no plans for any DLC at this moment in time and they would not be doing a Sanctum ...

The only comments I've ever seen them make are "we have nothing to announce at this time..."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 13:28 Mac

Interesting when a dev lies to the community - there is a post on the Steam forum just before release, when someone asked if there was any DLC planned, and wanted to avoid it if it was going to be like Sanctum - to which a Dev posted saying that there were no plans for any DLC at this moment in time and they would not be doing a Sanctum ...

Liar Liar Your Bum Is On Fire ...

12. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 13:15 nyr27

Most $60 games aren't worth half that either. I've already gotten 20 hours out of this game. Well worth $15.

Though, this dlc doesn't really interest me. I want new maps!

11. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 13:13 Beamer

Verno wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 12:23:
If you have to sell it door to door then I ain't buyin. It doesn't take a genius to see that $2 AAA videogames is something that cannot possibly last either.

It's not even $2 for the people that make it. Redbox raids a Walmart and buys every copy of whatever game (leaving none for other customers), then puts them in the vending machine.

So if 100 people rent or 1000 people rent the developer just sees that one copy sold.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 13:02 spindoctor

Released last week and dlc announced already? Since when did indies start doing this?

Oh well, will wait for a 5$ sale on the 'complete' game.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

9. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 12:58 Verno

The game is priced perfectly fine jehovah Tumbler, feel free to wait or not buy it at all, no one is forcing anything on you. You can wait until it's a penny and post a few messages bragging about it then. Just because a developer is small doesn't mean the game doesn't represent a good value at a specific price tag.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

8. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 12:37 Tumbler

Cmon man, I hate ripoff DLC's also but not only do you get alot of content in the original for $15 bucks but $2.50 for a few items and upgrades isn't much to ask from these guys.

They put out a solid game for cheap, and the dlc content isn't too bad, I'll bite and support them, and more important, have fun doing it.

This is a $10 game if the buyer feels generous. At $15 they should be offering this DLC free of charge to existing owners and dropping the price on the core game to account for the DLC purchase for new buyers.

This game is overpriced. Adding DLC for free would work to bring it more in line with a fair price.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: Orcs Must Die! DLC Next Week Oct 21, 2011, 12:33 SpectralMeat

I'll be buying this. I love this game.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo