Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks"

An unconfirmed rumor on Kotaku from a "source claiming to be close to the publishers of the recently-launched Rage," says the launch of id Software's DOOM 4 is indefinitely postponed due to issues with the RAGE launch. This includes a quote from Bethesda's Pete Hines saying they "don't comment on unannounced games," but as noted on VG247, he proceeds to do just that, as he tweets that this is "complete bollocks," adding: "Re: DOOM 4 rumor, games are done when they are done and no title under development at id has been postponed – indefinitely or otherwise."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 23:11 Tanto Edge

Doom 4 will be an open ended first person shooter with rpg elements where you explore the surface of multiple planets, other dimensions and eventually hell itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 22:12 Razumen

That's something you gotta bug Raven about, they developed all those games. Unfortunately, people don't like originality so they had to start pumping out generic (if solid) shooters.  

27. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 18:57 Creston

space captain wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 15:31:
RAGE is really garbage stuff.. first game ive been so bored with so quickly in a long time

just about to uninstall

btw - on the graphics weirdness.. there are spots where some kind of lighting kicks in, and then like all the black is gone, and replaced with really dark green.. so its like the darkest color is dark green, instead of black, and the whole image has a yellowish tint.. its really really really ugly - and its totally in game, in fact Sherrif Black's office has the best example, because its always like that except when you are standing next to the front door and it goes back to normal lighting... super lame work there fellas

The post-processing was rumored to have been added really, really late in the cycle, I agree that it's just a terrible hackjob and looks plain ugly in most areas.

Creston

26. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 18:55 Creston

Razumen wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 14:13:
Prez wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 12:17:
What is worrisome to me about the idea of DOOM 4 being the next id game after RAGE is that it would probably use the RAGE engine (Tech 5?). Which from what I can tell, is great at rendering outdoor environments but not so much indoor environments. Unless they change the DOOM theme significantly with 4, that doesn't bode well considering DOOM games take place almost exclusively indoors.

Why not? All they have to do is not skimp on the texture resolution, and if the game really does take place indoors, they should have more overhead to be able to do that.

Except, of course, Johnny Carmack has admitted that it's "Consoles Fo Life, Yo!" and neither the 360 nor the PS3 has the capability to do decent textures in tech 5.

So the PC version will get the blurry, low-res shit that the consoles get, whether Carmack adds another dithering pass to the engine or not.

Creston

25. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 18:52 Creston

Yeah, I doubt that was going to happen. Of course, if Doom 4 uses tech 5 (sigh. So much for originality in names...), and it's set mostly indoors, it's going to look like just as much ass as Rage does indoors.

And I think plenty of people are really disappointed in Rage that Doom 4 is going to suffer pretty harshly in sales.

Creston

24. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 17:57 bigspender

also plz gimme id tech 5 hexen with co-op. that was great fun.  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

23. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 17:56 bigspender

if id games are release "when they are done" wtf was rage released, its clrearly not "done" its a beta at best with the shitty graphics issues - i can't play the damn thing.  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

22. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 16:57 saluk

I enjoyed RAGE, (actually still haven't beaten it, but am getting close and having a blast), but I do see how it is less than perfect. I hope they can fix some of the issues with the tech and their game design and really make Doom 4 shine. They should ditch the rpg elements, while I personally liked the crafting system and roaming around talking to people, I think mostly they serve to confuse most players, and focusing on the shooting is what doom is for anyhow.

They should delay it to make sure the game is the best they can make it. They should not delay it indefinitely.

It's a good thing they tried the tech on a new property that nobody cares about yet rather than if RAGE had been Doom 4 and dragged that franchise through even more muck. Maybe they can redeem themselves and the franchise in one foul swoop, but they surely have an uphill battle.

21. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 16:56 Shineyguy

What is worrisome to me about the idea of DOOM 4 being the next id game after RAGE is that it would probably use the RAGE engine (Tech 5?). Which from what I can tell, is great at rendering outdoor environments but not so much indoor environments. Unless they change the DOOM theme significantly with 4, that doesn't bode well considering DOOM games take place almost exclusively indoors.

Well, looking at id's history, there has been only one single game that used id's existing engine technology.

That game was Doom 2.

Usually Carmack writes a new engine (yes, using bits of code from the last) for every new game that id develops. And before you say "But Quake 4!", Quake 4 was not developed by id Software.

20. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 16:39 MajorD

RAGE

Pros:
1)Outdoor distant graphics are beautiful.

2)Engine runs silky smooth.

3)Feel/responsiveness of the physics/engine is what we have come to know, love, and expect from an id Software engine (at least for me).

4)Directional audio (5.1 / 7.1) is excellent.

5)Character detail and animation is impressive.

6)Level/city/town designs.

7)I’m sure I’ve missed some, so add as you see fit.

Cons:
1)Console focus/port.

2)RPG element implementation somewhat weak.

3)Numerous and very poor design decisions.

4)Indoor/up close textures are pathetic.

5)Little to no interaction with the environment:
  • Pushing chairs out of the way, knocking things of counters and/or shelves, shooting out windows, etc., etc. These all may seem simple and useless to some, but it all adds to the immersiveness. This is 2011 you hoople heads, you’re supposed to be making advancements.

6)The invisible walls are so annoying. Yes, at some point/area of the level you have to have invisible walls, but there are so many of them where they shouldn’t be and/or could have been placed more strategically. One ‘very simple’, but annoying example, of many, is when you’re looking over a railing down a stairwell and you want to jump over the railing down onto the stairs in lieu of having to go around the railing to get to the stairs, but can’t.
    No, I’m not a game developer, and I am only going by other games I have played that have more open and interactive environments, so IMO there are better ways/areas to put up invisible walls - it is here that RAGE had poor and lazy level design that lacked ingenuity to better implement those invisible walls.

7)No switching between 1st person and 3rd person when driving. WTF?!

8)The abrupt lighting change when going in/out of indoor/outdoor environments.

9)Add to list as necessary……

19. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 15:31 space captain

RAGE is really garbage stuff.. first game ive been so bored with so quickly in a long time

just about to uninstall

btw - on the graphics weirdness.. there are spots where some kind of lighting kicks in, and then like all the black is gone, and replaced with really dark green.. so its like the darkest color is dark green, instead of black, and the whole image has a yellowish tint.. its really really really ugly - and its totally in game, in fact Sherrif Black's office has the best example, because its always like that except when you are standing next to the front door and it goes back to normal lighting... super lame work there fellas

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 15:10 theyarecomingforyou

Indeed. RAGE has pretty shitty visuals indoors. A lot seems to be the lighting but it was also due to design decisions made regarding the use of MegaTexture. They need to bring back dynamic lighting - the pre-baked lighting of RAGE is a backwards step from Doom 3. And the whack-a-mole AI will need to be improved considerably.

Doom 4 could still be a decent game if they learn from the mistakes with RAGE, though I'm still astounded by some of the terrible design decisions they made.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
    Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 14:13 Razumen

Why not? All they have to do is not skimp on the texture resolution, and if the game really does take place indoors, they should have more overhead to be able to do that.

Still looking forward to this.

16. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 13:47 headkase

I couldn't link to this title from Steam forums as their lame lameness filter censored out "bollocks" - in the link. Well, that was useless.

15. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 13:20 Jerusahat

In case it's not super obvious, he didn't just randomly say "bollocks". It was in response to Tom Bramwell at Eurogamer.
    @tombramwell wrote:
    Hoping that Doom 4 "indefinitely postponed" rumour is bollocks.
    @DCDeacon wrote:
    @j0hn385 @tombramwell Complete bollocks.

14. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 13:18 Umbragen

Doom 4?

Don't they need to make Doom 3 first?

13. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 13:02 Elf Shot The Food

You don't have to be British to use British slang on the internet.

As for the rumor, I don't buy it.

12. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 12:45 KilrathiAce

Before Bethesda folks start to sound a bit harsh or smart "***" vs rumors and customers they should hire 1 or 2 folks to do QA for their PC versions of games. Otherwise, lets not get even go there about wheter RAGE was ready or had issues.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
    Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

11. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor Oct 21, 2011, 12:39 DNForever

Don't think I've ever heard bollocks used verbally and maybe a few times in writing. I think most Americans know what it means or could infer from context, but it's definitely not widely used.

10. Re: Bethesda Calls DOOM 4 Rumor "Bollocks" Oct 21, 2011, 12:19 Sempai

THANK GAWD!

Yes Id need to pull up their pants and stop living in the 90's but I needs me some more Doom!

Id! Don't let me down fuckers!

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo