Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC

Steam News announces the release of three new DLC packs for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution. Here's word on the new content for Relic's RTS sequel:

The Last Stand Tau Commander comes with 26 pieces of wargear, 2 achievements, an all new voice and 20 levels of progression and can be used in the Last Stand Mode.

The Chaos Word Bearers Pack adds the iconic Chaos Space Marine Legion, with seven unique models for the major multiplayer units as well as new color schemes for the others.

Lastly, the Death Korps of Krieg Pack adds the iconic Imperial Guard regiment, with ten unique models for the major multiplayer units as well as the Death Korps of Krieg distinctive color patterns.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. removed Oct 21, 2011, 23:02 lin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 22, 2011, 03:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 21, 2011, 01:20 KilrathiAce

Actually Last Stand is quite popular game mode. I like Tau Commander and all the items for him. I hope in future they add a new 3rd last stand map.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

15. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 22:27 Lokust

LOL, $10 for a last stand character? You can rarely even find enough people playing (read: three) last stand to get a game. I wouldn't pay $10 for the character and the whole tau faction as a single player plugin race + multi.  

14. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 22:21 entr0py

TurdFergasun wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 17:09:
you build bases in company of heroes? have you even played it? daw2 has nothing to do with coh, other than tales of velure. coh and coh: opposing front, where of the same high quality as dawn of war 1, and have absolutely none of the dumbed down shenanigans as daw2. daw2 might as well be a flash game it's so mindless.

Are you kidding? CoH pioneered nearly all of the gameplay changes between DoW 1 and 2. Including smaller and more versatile squads, a quick retreat button, directional cover, highly destructible terrain, multi-player based around resource points and victory points, devastating infantry suppression, location based damage on tanks, ect.

Yeah, it had base building which DoW II lacks. But personally I never actually enjoyed building all the structures that build units, then managing half a dozen different queues. Constantly jumping back and forth on the map between dull, repetitive base building and managing battles was irritating when only one of those activities was enjoyable.

13. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 20:50 panbient

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 19:24:
Can one of you smart guys tell me if it's this game i'm thinking of where it was mostly squad based, continual movement -capture, progress- game..or were there bases?

I suck at RTS's.. flat out suck.. so I like to turtle up and take my time..which DoW game is right for me?

totally unrelated- is there ever going to be another Earth 2160 game? that game was money!

There were bases in the original Dawn of War series, the Dawn of War2 series is what you describe at the start of your post. If you want to turtle this is not the game for you. I miss turtle-ing too, haven't found better than the original Starcraft for that style of play.

12. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 19:49 Dev

Isn't this close to 20 DLC packs now?  

11. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 19:24 ColoradoHoudini

Can one of you smart guys tell me if it's this game i'm thinking of where it was mostly squad based, continual movement -capture, progress- game..or were there bases?

I suck at RTS's.. flat out suck.. so I like to turtle up and take my time..which DoW game is right for me?

totally unrelated- is there ever going to be another Earth 2160 game? that game was money!

10. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 18:33 panbient

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 11:10:
Is this game any good? I haven't played any of the series.

Retribution is by far the weakest installment in the series, little to no replay value for single player unless you're a trophy whore. The direction of the DLC and patches seems to indicate that Relic has given up (or never had any intention) on improving the lame SP campaign.

The original DoW games are a bit more traditional with base building and big hordes of units, DoW2 is more about tactics and efficient use of specialized squads for SP. Soulstorm is the best of the original style (and arguably the entire series), Chaos Rising is tops for the 'new' style.

Both games feature 'normal' MP with base building and a capture and control style gameplay, part 2 adds 'The Last Stand' co-op arena mode.

9. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 17:31 Tumbler

you build bases in company of heroes? have you even played it? daw2 has nothing to do with coh, other than tales of velure. coh and coh: opposing front, where of the same high quality as dawn of war 1, and have absolutely none of the dumbed down shenanigans as daw2. daw2 might as well be a flash game it's so mindless.

Was thinking the same thing, it's dirty pool to say if you like CoH you'll like DoW2. The company is the same that made both games and there are a few mechanics borrowed from CoH but it's definitely not CoH in the WH40K universe. My god I wish it was though.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 17:09 TurdFergasun

7. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 16:27 Warskull

I would skip it. The core concept is good and actually could have been the next great RTS model. They have some rather obnoxious technical issues that hamstrung them. It just isn't worth playing with the game slowing down to the framerate of the slowest player. One idiot is always trying to play with settings way too high and as a result the game freezes for everyone while it waits for him to catch up.

Plus they ran off a massive chunk of their multiplayer player base with a disastrous launch. They left game destroying bugs (units permanently ate up pop cap after they died) in the game for over 2 months.

6. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 16:01 entr0py

If you liked the gameplay of Company of Heroes, and the Warhammer 40k setting, you'll like it.

That's a demo of the original game at least, not sure about the expansions:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/15620/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

5. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 15:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

DoW2 is an insult to the concept of RTS games.

Take away base building if you must(and think HARD before you do that), but don't dumb down the rest of the game and allow so few units that the game becomes trivial. Fake RTS players already have DotA/LoL style games to waste the world's bandwidth on.

*Sheds a tear for the former makers of Homeworld(1 and 2) and DoW 1.

4. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 14:09 Creston

I wish they'd add the Tau as a race. They were by far my favorite race in Dark Crusade and Soulstorm.

Hmmm, I should reinstall those and play them again.

Creston

3. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 13:19 TangledThorns

$10 for Tau? No.  

2. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 13:13 Tumbler

Way more bang for your buck with the first Dawn of War and expansions.

I bought DoW2 at full price and was frustrated with that price. I waited until the first expansion was half off, $20 and that felt like a bad purchase. I bought retribution at launch because I was too lazy to cancel my pre-order on steam and I don't think I've ever played it. (played a few games in beta and just thought it was horribly boring)
DoW2 is an ok game but I think you'll find it tedious and boring very quickly. I don't know why they keep adding these content packs. They are tempting, or where, until you play the game. Ooooh that looks nice, maybe I'll fire it up for a few games....oh right, that is why I don't play this anymore. Thanx but no thanx.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: New Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Oct 20, 2011, 11:10 Fibrocyte

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo