Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 18:08 eRe4s3r

Unless you already used all the sata and power cables (like me ~.~) as 3d-artist you just got different space requirements.. i realize that. So maybe i am not the target group for SSD's yet. Only thing thats limiting for me right now is my RAM, i need faster Ram, more Ram.. probably gonna upgrade to 16gb ram as soon as i can.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 14:42 Bucky

Verno wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 13:05:
For example Bucky lists something about putting his games on one but there are probably less than 20 games on the entire market that see appreciable load time reductions with an SSD and most of those are MMOs. That situation likely won't change until games aren't designed around consoles either. Traditional hard drives are fantastic for storage purposes, relatively reliable overall and cheap. SSDs are already in a pretty decent sweet spot price-wise and the benefits of running your operating system with one are both substantial and noticeable.

See, now you're just trying to ruin my fun.

I know there won't be much improvement beyond some initial load times, and even then it'll be minimal. That's the nice thing about a gaming rig though, I don't need a reasonable excuse for an upgrade. I won't be doing any upgrades for another 6 months or so anyway (waiting on Ivy Bridge and Kepler) so, with luck, SSD prices should improve even more by then.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 14:21 mag

I had my system drive bite it the other weekend, and in a moment of weakness I bought a 120 GB Vertex 3 SSD for ~$180.

I'm really not all that impressed. It's fast and all, but I guess I just don't spend that much time waiting on my disks.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 13:05 Verno

SSD performance....

Too bad they didn't include the 2TB drive in that chart, because even though its slower, it's still the better drive, because you can buy 3 to 5 for the price of 1 ssd, and raid them together.

Yes, that'd be total waste of energy and space, but just saying that SSD's are still MILES away from any sweetspot

Still atleast 2000% too expensive

Unfortunately the profit margin on consumer SSDs is already very low, they barely make more than the cost of the materials right now. The kind of comparative costs to traditional platter drives will require serious manufacturing advances, cost reductions and so on. The hard drive business has been around for decades let's not forget. Consumers don't need a 1TB SSD anyway. Very few user workloads see any appreciable benefit from it. A smaller drive for the operating system and I/O intensive apps is more than fine until SSD costs come down over time.

For example Bucky lists something about putting his games on one but there are probably less than 20 games on the entire market that see appreciable load time reductions with an SSD and most of those are MMOs. That situation likely won't change until games aren't designed around consoles either. Traditional hard drives are fantastic for storage purposes, relatively reliable overall and cheap. SSDs are already in a pretty decent sweet spot price-wise and the benefits of running your operating system with one are both substantial and noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to just have a 1TB SSD to whip all of my stuff into it and not have to worry about multiple drives or etc but these days its an extra pair of sata cables and 10 cents on my power bill. I like where we're at now, if I lose an HD it's cheap to replace which makes backup solutions a lot more affordable as well. With all of the various controller/firmware issues I'm more than happy to let the tech mature before dumping everything into it as well.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2011, 13:13.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 12:39 Bucky

If OCZ can get decent performance in a SSD for around $1/GB, I'll finally bite. I've been refusing to pick up an SSD that's under 500GB (if it can't fit my entire Steam folder, I'll pass), and at that size they're still too expensive.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 12:32 eRe4s3r

SSD performance....

Too bad they didn't include the 2TB drive in that chart, because even though its slower, it's still the better drive, because you can buy 3 to 5 for the price of 1 ssd, and raid them together.

Yes, that'd be total waste of energy and space, but just saying that SSD's are still MILES away from any sweetspot

Still atleast 2000% too expensive

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 11:28 Verno

Samsung sold their HD unit to Seagate back in April.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 20, 2011, 10:53 Optional nickname

WD Q4 revenue will have 30% more profit, due to the illegal price gouging they are now doing, from the so called, Thailand flooding.

as if that is the one and only source of production, give us a fucking break WD. And move your facility to America & employ the 15%, you outsourcing fucking douchebags.

EVERYONE BUY ONLY SAMSUNG SPINPOINTS,

BOYCOTT WESTERN DIGITAL AND SEAGATE

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo