Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

CCP Layoffs

Layoffs have hit CCP, as the Icelandic developer is cutting more than 100 positions, which represents twenty percent of its staff, reports Develop, saying most of the cuts will be at CCP's Atlanta office. "As we re-examine our outward relations, we are also taking time to re-evaluate our internal goals. In doing so, we have come to the conclusion that we are attempting too many things for a company our size," says the developer. "Rather than allowing this to persist, we have made the decision to sharpen our focus. Sadly, this means reducing our staff." Word is they are refocusing on EVE Online, and that development of their World of Darkness MMORPG continues with "a significantly reduced team."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 12:51 Agrikaan

Nomaar wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 12:33:
Agrikaan wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 05:18:
So, does this still make them whiners and drama queens?

Absolutely. I've played EVE on-and-off since its beta. I've also played every other MMORPG out there, and none of them come close to having the number of spoiled, obnoxious brats that pervade the EVE fanbase. It's like playing with a bunch of evil Sheldons.

Wierd. I played it daily for seven years, in many corporations and alliances. We must have been on different servers...

I consider EVE players to generally be nice, mature, relaxed and friendly. Perhaps a bit demanding at times, as the game itself is demanding and unforgiving, I give you that, it kinda follows. When you lose a ship, you LOSE it (and everything in/on it), so better be careful - especially in a group. That might draw a special breed of gamers. Compared to other games you only have the hassle of respawning a bit down the path, stats down 1% for 15 minutes. For weak people!

And compared to other communities I've been in (a few MMOs and FPSs), the average EVE player is definitely not worse. Try go on a raid with people and do one mistake. Or don't have the right breastplate. Jeez. When you don't have to face the people you interact with, some people get really intolerant and impatient. That seems to be a general trait...

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2011, 13:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 12:33 Nomaar

Agrikaan wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 05:18:
So, does this still make them whiners and drama queens?

Absolutely. I've played EVE on-and-off since its beta. I've also played every other MMORPG out there, and none of them come close to having the number of spoiled, obnoxious brats that pervade the EVE fanbase. It's like playing with a bunch of evil Sheldons.

18. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 09:16 dheer

Was kind of looking forward to it just because it was world of darkness. Not that I've ever really liked anything from CCP, just wanted something done with the license. Hopefully someone can convince a game company to try to capitalize on the latest vampire craze by showing them some Toreador concept art.

Bloodlines type game = Shut up and take my money.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

17. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 09:09 MrBone

Karma...ain't it sweet. Rolling on.  

16. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 08:27 Jonny

Damn, sensible ideas from CCP? It's like I fell into a weird parallel universe.

A good parallel universe though, the shifts in their focus over the last few weeks have been needed and requested for the last several years. Looking forward to Eve growing again, instead of stagnating as a money tap for WoD development.

15. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 07:17 Acleacius

Nate wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 20:43:
Well at least the management pulled there head out of their nether regions. Perhaps they will also realize they should make a PC version of Dust 514.
Damn, that would be pretty amazing, in a positive way.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 05:28 Veterator

Was wondering the same thing if there was enough people who've been pissed off by CCP that all of them leaving created this shortage. Perhaps this is there way to get around apologizing and fixing the issues, by saying the restructure allowed them to ..blah blah blah. So now they've got it all fixed and they welcome everyone back to enjoy....what they had before.

13. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 05:18 Agrikaan

So, the despised whining drama queens last summer, who quit EVE in protest against the apparent direction of EVE are now shown to have been about 100% right. So the protests worked and have had an effect that will benefit all EVE players. So, does this still make them whiners and drama queens? And those that whined about them in turn, and said "good riddance", what should they now be called, as they were about 100% wrong?  

12. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 04:24 lvitriol

Hopefully this means that walking on planets in Eve Online comes soon.  

more sp.

11. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 04:24 Theo

Ginny wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 01:23:
Tbh i can only see futher woes, until they boot out the mass rmt/bots that kill eves end game.

Repeat after me, eve does not have a specific end game, eve does not have a specific end game.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

10. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 03:47 Razumen

I wish they created a Freelancer type game with their Eve assets, now that would totally kick ass.

Too bad they can't see the type of potential they have there.

9. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 03:42 InBlack

A 500 employee developer (well 400 now) is hardly small...  

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 03:20 Umbragen

It was unlikely they could have made an interesting WoD MMO anyway. The only reason to play EVE is to be an asshole to other people, it's not a mechanic that would have translated well. And, as small as they are, they would never have been able to generate enough content make a Vampire game viable.  

7. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 01:23 Ginny

Considering the cash grab they've been on recently, im not suprised.

75% steam, bulk buy rmt isk, come back $5 offers, it was clear they were having problems when you couple that with the drop in numbers in the last few months.

Tbh i can only see futher woes, until they boot out the mass rmt/bots that kill eves end game.

That might keep them in business, but it's killing them longterm.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2011, 01:31.

6. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 19, 2011, 23:45 Linksil

Sugarman i'm in the same boat. Can't stand controller for fps.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

5. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 19, 2011, 22:29 Sugarman

As they should, Eve makes them plenty of money and they need to cater to where the money is. And I agree, they should make Dust for the pc, for the life of me I cannot use a controller to play FPS games, believe me, I've tried, it just doesn't feel right.  

4. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 19, 2011, 21:34 Creston

Well, that takes care of the WoD MMO...

Creston

3. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 19, 2011, 21:15 Cutter

Well, so much for WOD, sigh. Not that I really had any faith in CCP to deliver a good game based on that IP anyway.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 19, 2011, 20:43 Nate

Well at least the management pulled there head out of their nether regions. Perhaps they will also realize they should make a PC version of Dust 514.  

1. Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 19, 2011, 20:32 Tumbler

That sucks. I'm surprised we are not seeing Dust 514 this holiday season...I feel like they announced it in 2009 at e3...no? Maybe a bit later but looking at youtube they definitely were showing the game off in 2009...why isn't that done already?  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo