Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers

AMD now offers new Catalyst 11.10 Version 3 preview drivers for AMD/ATI graphics cards. Among other things, the new drivers feature several RAGE improvements. This tweet says this is nearly the same as the upcoming release driver: "Cat 11.10 official release will happen Oct 31 - but Catalyst 11.10 V3 is pretty much the identical driver, so use with BF3 (plus new CAP)." Thanks Bill.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. . Oct 22, 2011, 15:58 Ray Marden

Edit: Disregard; double post.  

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 22, 2011, 15:58 Ray Marden

I finally installed these today and the results are mixed.

The game runs faster, the texture loading updating is significantly decreased, and the lighting works much better.
This is the first time I would say the game looked good.
However, I had my very first game lock up with these drivers - I had other graphical issues with earlier drivers, but never a lock up.

Having just purchased DA2 for $8 and Alice Returns for $12 on Origin,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

14. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 21, 2011, 08:28 Eldaron Imotholin

How the hell can I be the only one getting this whatever NSIS_Error error?

Weird ass shit..

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

13. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 20, 2011, 22:12 Stolk

WaltC wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 09:15:
Krovven wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 00:27:

Finally fixed my video problems with Rage. Very sad shame that it took 2 weeks for the proper drivers to come out allowing me to play the game. It really is inexcusable from all three id software, AMD and Bethesda that the game was released without the proper drivers being available.

Don't forget about the patches that id software has made to the game in the last two weeks--still more to come in that department if I recall correctly. Most definitely this was completely id software's fault, all the way around. Ars Technica reviewed the console version of the game and gave it terrible marks, including bad marks for massive texture popping! Don't be mistaken about the game's bugs, graphical and otherwise--they affected all versions of the game to some degree upon release. Those bugs are the fault of no one except the game developer.

If id software doesn't release their code to 3d-card IHVs ahead of time there's no way that either nVidia or AMD could be prepared. Although the game initially ran better on nVidia products, because apparently the only in-house 3d cards id software owns for testing and development are made by nVidia, it was nVidia who initially put out the faq as to how to configure the game to run properly on nVidia products--because the game initially did not run properly on nVidia 3d cards, either..

This should be common sense--it is up to the game developer/publisher to see that a game is relatively bug-free upon release--and nobody else. This means that a developer tests his software and initiates a dialogue with 3d-card IHVs, if necessary, so as to address these kinds of problems *before* the game code is frozen and finalized ahead of shipping. This is also one very good reason AMD has a solid, reliable monthly driver update program--it allows them to constantly stay on top of things to the degree that a game/developer allows them to do so. But even that, as you know, is no defense against a buggy release from a game developer, which is pretty much all that happened here.

Basically, this game had two *separate* issues out of the gate:

(1) Bugs, graphical and otherwise
(2) No attempt by id software was made to differentiate the PC version to take advantage of the "ten times more power" that Carmack states an average PC has over a console.

Carmack went on to cite "budget restraints" as the likely culprit, but the fact is that id software & Bethesda publishing chose to release a version for the PC, thereby enticing people who own PCs to buy the game--so an accommodation to the PC's environment should certainly have been budgeted. Otherwise, the correct release path to have taken was not to release for the PC. (Either do it right or don't do it at all. Doing less is a cheat.)

Last, it may well be that Carmack has shaped his company around consoles and portable devices, and that is fine, of course, as far as it goes. However, there are plenty of companies who do great work for the PC and are suitably rewarded for it--despite Carmack's opinions on the matter. He seems to favor Commander Keen territory, and I certainly won't begrudge his actions if he opts to stay there in the future.

What a horrible post of bad information.

12. Re: What? Oct 20, 2011, 13:36 Krovven

Darth Guybrush wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 09:48:
3 weeks after launch and nothing?

It's been 2 weeks this past Tuesday.

11. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 20, 2011, 13:35 Krovven

WaltC wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 09:15:
Don't forget about the patches that id software has made to the game in the last two weeks

There has just been 1 patch for Rage and for me it did very little. It was 100% bad drivers causing the problems that prevented me from playing RAGE.

10. Re: What? Oct 20, 2011, 11:01 WaltC

Darth Guybrush wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 09:48:
The drivers that they used for testing were not shipped with the game is what I understand happened. Bullshit. 3 weeks after launch and nothing?

Am not at all sure what you're talking about. 3d-card drivers, pretty darn near 100% of the time, are not shipped in the same package as the game you buy. Heh...;) There's something massively wrong with a 3d game should it require "special" 3d-card drivers in order to run. If the game developer has done his job then the 3d-card IHV has had his game code a decent interval ahead of the day the game ships, and major problems have been overcome prior to finalizing the code for the version of the game software that initially ships. If game devs don't do it that way, then they they have only themselves to blame when the results are less than optimal, as happened in the case of RAGE.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

9. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 20, 2011, 10:49 Eldaron Imotholin

I'm having a NSIS_Error after downloading the Win7 file......  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

8. What? Oct 20, 2011, 09:48 Darth Guybrush

The drivers that they used for testing were not shipped with the game is what I understand happened. Bullshit. 3 weeks after launch and nothing?

==
Steam: Darth Guybrush
XBox Live: Darth Guybrush

7. no Oct 20, 2011, 09:46 Darth Guybrush

Dead Island no longer launches. Same with DOW Retribution. Deus Ex: HR still OK.  

==

6. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 20, 2011, 09:15 WaltC

Krovven wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 00:27:

Finally fixed my video problems with Rage. Very sad shame that it took 2 weeks for the proper drivers to come out allowing me to play the game. It really is inexcusable from all three id software, AMD and Bethesda that the game was released without the proper drivers being available.

Don't forget about the patches that id software has made to the game in the last two weeks--still more to come in that department if I recall correctly. Most definitely this was completely id software's fault, all the way around. Ars Technica reviewed the console version of the game and gave it terrible marks, including bad marks for massive texture popping! Don't be mistaken about the game's bugs, graphical and otherwise--they affected all versions of the game to some degree upon release. Those bugs are the fault of no one except the game developer.

If id software doesn't release their code to 3d-card IHVs ahead of time there's no way that either nVidia or AMD could be prepared. Although the game initially ran better on nVidia products, because apparently the only in-house 3d cards id software owns for testing and development are made by nVidia, it was nVidia who initially put out the faq as to how to configure the game to run properly on nVidia products--because the game initially did not run properly on nVidia 3d cards, either..

This should be common sense--it is up to the game developer/publisher to see that a game is relatively bug-free upon release--and nobody else. This means that a developer tests his software and initiates a dialogue with 3d-card IHVs, if necessary, so as to address these kinds of problems *before* the game code is frozen and finalized ahead of shipping. This is also one very good reason AMD has a solid, reliable monthly driver update program--it allows them to constantly stay on top of things to the degree that a game/developer allows them to do so. But even that, as you know, is no defense against a buggy release from a game developer, which is pretty much all that happened here.

Basically, this game had two *separate* issues out of the gate:

(1) Bugs, graphical and otherwise
(2) No attempt by id software was made to differentiate the PC version to take advantage of the "ten times more power" that Carmack states an average PC has over a console.

Carmack went on to cite "budget restraints" as the likely culprit, but the fact is that id software & Bethesda publishing chose to release a version for the PC, thereby enticing people who own PCs to buy the game--so an accommodation to the PC's environment should certainly have been budgeted. Otherwise, the correct release path to have taken was not to release for the PC. (Either do it right or don't do it at all. Doing less is a cheat.)

Last, it may well be that Carmack has shaped his company around consoles and portable devices, and that is fine, of course, as far as it goes. However, there are plenty of companies who do great work for the PC and are suitably rewarded for it--despite Carmack's opinions on the matter. He seems to favor Commander Keen territory, and I certainly won't begrudge his actions if he opts to stay there in the future.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

5. Nope Oct 20, 2011, 06:14 Darth Guybrush

Still crashes. Gimme a refund Steam!  

==

4. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 20, 2011, 06:08 InBlack

Does this do anything for World of Tanks?  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 20, 2011, 00:27 Krovven

Theyarecomingforyou sent these to me last night, thanks for that.

2. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 19, 2011, 23:38 Bucky

Downloading these now for BF3. The beta didn't run bad on the 11.9s, so these plus final code should make things nice and smooth.  

1. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 19, 2011, 21:00 Stolk

Well these make Rage run better than ever. Settings all the way up now and little to no pop-in. If only they made sure these were available day 1, would have been a better day for everyone involved.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2011, 21:05.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo