Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Via Digital Distribution

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: TF2 Oct 20, 2011, 10:14 DG

Not just me and my fave servers then...

I thought I might be having problems when I got a hl2.exe crash the other day. I'd been getting some minor symptoms too like sometimes the sound stutters and occasionally I get graphical corruption (effect similar to the range indicator when positioning a sentry). Plus big lag spikes.

Servers have frequently lost connection to the item server, had half the players dropped after map change (server reports failed Steam auth) or they just crash.

Bit miffed with TF2 at the moment because I can't understand why performance is so poor for a 4 year old game that was never cutting-edge. On a Core2Duo E8500 with a ATI6950 an intense timedemo comes out at ~80fps (5 var), changing the advanced visuals options from all low to all high is +/- 2 fps which suggests it's completely CPU bottlenecked.

80fps with variance of 5 seems all good though yeah? Actually in the game is a different story. After noticing things during play I did a little test:

Alone in the spawn room, fps way past 100. With someone idling in there it fell to ~80. Turn around 360 degrees and watch the fps counter jump back to 100 by looking away from the player. Respawn wave hit, more players in the room and FPS is hit even more.

On the Turbine map, in the central area my FPS is either over 100 if most people are off screen battling for the intel or whatever, but in the 40s while the battle is for control of the centre.

OK thinks I, minimise the model detail. Nope. Shadows? Nope. Everything? Nope.

I never used to notice it really, I could swear it gets worse with every update bringing new items. Could easily be imagining that though I guess.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Oct 20, 2011, 08:43 Shok

panbient wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 21:30:
PHJF wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 20:21:
Four fucking updates and they still haven't fixed the rampant hl2.exe crashing.

Glad to read I'm not the only one suffering with this. I've actually gotten MORE crashes with the newer patches. It felt like I was having to restart TF2 after every round last night.

I suppose rolling things back to how smoothly things worked last week would be too much to ask. What are the odds we get custom TF2 title screens encouraging people to fool around with the workshop and the Mann-conomy after the actual game crashes - Stiffen your lip Solider, just because your game crashed doesn't mean you can't spend money in the Mann-co Store! Get Shopping maggot!

Glad to hear it's not just me and/or the maps I was playing causing the crashes. I was beginning to wonder if the boofort map I've been playing nightly was the cause.

5. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Oct 20, 2011, 08:28 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 01:11:
Dungeon Defenders isn't doing much better, at least when you play ranked characters online (the only way to get achievements, etc.). Their TrendyNet infrastructure SUCKS.

A lot of day 1 networking infrastructure sucks in games, especially indies. Heck, valve's day 1 lobby setup on l4d1 SUCKED. They didn't get it working right for like 4 months, and valve doesn't have the excuse of not having enough resources.
Anyway, trendy has gotten out 2 patches already, which is impressive. Shows they are working on it. And its gotten a ton better. Not nearly as much disconnects as there was earlier. Keep in mind that if it says "host disconnected" its mostly not the trendy network. One way you can tell is check custom game list right after a disconnect. If they are all in tavern, it was a global trendy reset. If its a mix of in game and tavern, its just the game you were in.

4. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Oct 20, 2011, 04:32 lvitriol

Considering how much time I spent with Sword of the stars 1 I should preorder nr 2, share your dollar with me?.  

more sp.

3. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Oct 20, 2011, 01:11 jacobvandy

Dungeon Defenders isn't doing much better, at least when you play ranked characters online (the only way to get achievements, etc.). Their TrendyNet infrastructure SUCKS.  

2. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Oct 19, 2011, 21:30 panbient

PHJF wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 20:21:

Glad to read I'm not the only one suffering with this. I've actually gotten MORE crashes with the newer patches. It felt like I was having to restart TF2 after every round last night.

I suppose rolling things back to how smoothly things worked last week would be too much to ask. What are the odds we get custom TF2 title screens encouraging people to fool around with the workshop and the Mann-conomy after the actual game crashes - Stiffen your lip Solider, just because your game crashed doesn't mean you can't spend money in the Mann-co Store! Get Shopping maggot!

1. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Oct 19, 2011, 20:21 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo