Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Into the Black Oct 20, 2011, 16:02 Sixtoes

Enahs wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 10:08:
So while it is cool, and I love the science behind it, it is not very useful and will only do as advertised in very limited settings.

Pretty much true; I'm not certain that focusing (no pun intended) this technology on consumers - as opposed to pros - will be successful. As for it ever being useful for pros, the resolution will have to be significantly better. If they can ever get this technology to work with a high-quality dSLR and long lenses (think 400/2.8 like the ones you see on the sideline at an NFL game), then it might be a game-changer. For now, it's just a gimmick - albeit a kinda cool one.

And for sixtoes response, well, if you are going to do post processing of some kind, then why not do as PHJF suggested and put everything in focus and add the focusing effect with the computer in photoshop, etc.

Because, while you can make adjustments to DoF (depth of field) in post-processing, a professional can tell the difference between a Photoshop-created blur (gaussian, lens, radial or whatever) and genuine bokeh created by a wide-open lens aperture.

- - Giving money and power to government is like giving car keys and whiskey to teenage boys. - -
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Into the Black Oct 20, 2011, 10:28 space captain

arent these the kinds of cameras they put into a semi-circle array type device, and do that matrix style shots with the frozen panning etc.  
Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Into the Black Oct 20, 2011, 10:08 Enahs

If you look at the optics and science of it, it only will work for things setup with just a drastic field of depth as in there examples.

Everything else (most things people will take a photo of) will be in complete focus like normal point and shoot cameras. So no, when you go to the zoo with your kid and take a photo of the zebras with it, they are all going to be far enough away that they will all be in focus, there is no making one zebra focused and the other blurry; even if those 2 zebras are 100 ft away from each other.....unless you are in the zebra habitat....which if you are either your zoo is really freakin cool or you are going to jail.

So while it is cool, and I love the science behind it, it is not very useful and will only do as advertised in very limited settings.

And for sixtoes response, well, if you are going to do post processing of some kind, then why not do as PHJF suggested and put everything in focus and add the focusing effect with the computer in photoshop, etc.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Into the Black Oct 20, 2011, 00:18 Sixtoes

PHJF wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 23:52:
Seems kind of stupid. Why not just have the camera put EVERYTHING into focus?

Because selective focus is often used to draw the viewer's attention to the subject of the photograph and away from distractions. Having everything in focus is beneficial for some types of photographs (landscapes, for example), but distracting for others (like portraits).

As to the original post, I suspect there's a reason why Lytro hasn't revealed the resolution specs of this camera/toy.

- - Giving money and power to government is like giving car keys and whiskey to teenage boys. - -

3. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2011, 23:52 PHJF

Seems kind of stupid. Why not just have the camera put EVERYTHING into focus?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2011, 20:45 nin

I'd like to know what rez it shoots at. And that lens better come with a cover.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2011, 20:36 jdreyer

Okay, to understand what makes the Lytro images special, you have to go to the site and click on the images. Click on the out of focus part to see the coolness that is Lytro. Pretty amazing you can pick this up for $400, although I wish the form factor was more ergonomic.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo