Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link

Square Enix announces the North American release of The Missing Link, the new DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Eidos Montreal's action/RPG prequel. Here are some new screenshots and a new launch trailer, and here's word on the new content this offers:

Tortured by Belltower agents and with his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must escape from a freighter destined for an unknown location. Jensen uncovers a new layer of conspiracy, befriends new allies, and fights ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events of DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION!

“We are thrilled to bring DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION - The Missing Link to fans,” said David Anfossi, producer of DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION at Eidos-Montreal. “This unique DLC provides an enhanced DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION experience with deeper insight into the conspiracy, visual improvements, new characters and enemies, and a twist on gameplay elements.”

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION - The Missing Link is available at a cost of 1200 Microsoft Points via the Xbox LIVE® Marketplace (XBLM) for Xbox 360, and $14.99 on the PlayStation®Network and Windows PC platforms. Providing an average of four to six hours of compelling gameplay, players will be able to earn ten new achievements/trophies and 250 Xbox Gamerscore points. Players must own DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION in order to download and play DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION – The Missing Link.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 20, 2011, 00:29 Krovven

Dunkirk wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 08:31:
Anyone know how many DLC's they expect to make, and if they're going to release a "GOTY" version with everything all at once, sometime in the future?

Let me look into my crystal ball...one moment please....I see something...yes, yes they will!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 23:44 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure the non-lethal bonus is 20. Even if it is 50 though, or 100, or whatever... you don't need more XP than you will get playing whatever way you desire. In my balls to the wall guns playthrough I still had tons of extra praxis without much to spend it on toward the end of the game. Just play how you want.

There were just a lot of balancing issues in general with the XP. In an RPG, all paths should be equally viable. In DX, the most effective path is to hack everything and perform stealthy, non-lethal takedowns. This will net you more XP than any other approach. Do you need all that XP? Nope, especially not when you can buy two Praxis Kits at each LIMB clinic. I think they should have done what the original DX did and only rewarded XP for completing objectives and exploring. That way, every approach is equally viable. Also, they shouldn't have sold any Praxis Kits and credits in general should have been much harder to obtain.

Also some of the upgrades are just minor convieneince things, sure, but can't that be said of almost any progression system? Cloak and armor and recoil reduction and all that stuff is not essential to beating the game, no, but they still offer benefits. You could ignore a lot of upgrades in every RPG and still finish the game, that doesn't make them pointless.

The problem is that the third-person cover system and omniscient radar made augs like X-Ray Vision and Mark & Track pretty useless. I actually turned off the cover system and tried to ignore the radar and that made those two augs significantly more useful. They should have removed the radar completely and replaced it with a health regen aug (that actively consumes energy) instead of having it regen by default.

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 19:34 StingingVelvet

jimnms wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 17:49:
And you don't get the same XP for going lethal or non lethal. A non lethal take-down gives you 50 XP, and a head shot with the tranquilizer gives you a total of 40 XP. A head shot with a gun gives you 20 XP.

I'm pretty sure the non-lethal bonus is 20. Even if it is 50 though, or 100, or whatever... you don't need more XP than you will get playing whatever way you desire. In my balls to the wall guns playthrough I still had tons of extra praxis without much to spend it on toward the end of the game. Just play how you want.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 17:49 jimnms

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 14:07:
I find it amusing that the stuff you get from XP you say was useless, but then you still went way out of your way and altered your play style just to farm said useless XP. You DO have OCD! You do get XP from headshots though, which is a bonus for lethal that equals the non-lethal bonus. The only unbalanced thing is the ghost bonus really, and you can get that lethally as long as you use silenced weapons.

I didn't "farm" the XP system, I discovered it doing the mission where you have to get into that abandoned warehouse that turns out to be the FEMA place. Once I snuck past everyone and reached the elevator, it triggered the end of that part of the mission, and gave me the bonuses for ghost, etc. I realized there was still unexplored places, and I wanted to go back to the guy at the beginning of the level and sell some crap. After triggering the end of the mission, it didn't matter if you were spotted or an alarm went off because you already had your bonuses. I obviously didn't do that because I got the achievement for not setting off alarms. I did sneak back out to explore the rest of the map, knocking people out along the way.

And you don't get the same XP for going lethal or non lethal. A non lethal take-down gives you 50 XP, and a head shot with the tranquilizer gives you a total of 40 XP. A head shot with a gun gives you 20 XP.

Steam Profile

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 14:07 StingingVelvet

jimnms wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 23:39:
I finished DX:HR over the weekend. It took me 89 hours, but I'm a bit OCD and have to make sure I explore every inch. It was one of the better games of recent years, but I was left disappointed by it.

A lot of the augments were useless, and I saved my praxis points until I needed them. At one point I had 14 unused point, so I went ahead and fully upgraded dermal armor for the stupid boss battles, and the cloaking thing even though I'd made it that far without using it. I wasn't going for a pacifist run, but I was doing stealth and non-lethal because you get more XP. By the end of the game I had 9 unspent points. I never upgraded the battery things because I got by just fine with the single re-generating cell. I did upgrade the regen speed of unused cells though. I carried 5 of those energy bar things with me, and if I came across another one I just ate it. I never found a place where I needed more than two cells.

I felt the whole take-down system kind of ruins the game and made the stun gun completely useless. First, why bother with having a lethal or non lethal option? You get more XP for a non-lethal take-down and there is no down side to using it, but using the lethal take-down causes any enemy on the map to hear it. They should have reversed it, have the lethal take-down quick and silent, but the non-lethal take-down louder. That would make doing a pacifist run much more challenging and make the stun gun useful.

It was also way too easy to get XP. After finishing a mission stealthily and getting the bonuses, you could turn around, go back and kill everyone for more XP.

I find it amusing that the stuff you get from XP you say was useless, but then you still went way out of your way and altered your play style just to farm said useless XP. You DO have OCD! You do get XP from headshots though, which is a bonus for lethal that equals the non-lethal bonus. The only unbalanced thing is the ghost bonus really, and you can get that lethally as long as you use silenced weapons.

Also some of the upgrades are just minor convieneince things, sure, but can't that be said of almost any progression system? Cloak and armor and recoil reduction and all that stuff is not essential to beating the game, no, but they still offer benefits. You could ignore a lot of upgrades in every RPG and still finish the game, that doesn't make them pointless.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 14:04 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 12:47:
Have the devs confirmed that's not the case? I've not been following it that closely.

It's a completely separate launcher and everything dude, like an old-school FPS expansion. It can't be cut into the main game.

And honestly that's good. It was designed to be played separately and the original campaign was designed to not have it. I would be annoyed if I could no longer play the game as it was released.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 12:47 nin

I mostly hate it because it would be nice if it was dropped into the main game. Like if you had the DLC and started at the beginning and go to the "I'm going off the grid." part it dumped you in the DLC. Once done the DLC you continued on with the original game.

Have the devs confirmed that's not the case? I've not been following it that closely.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 12:11 necrosis

deadearth wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 08:59:
necrosis wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 08:46:
I heard the DLC was released. Went to DX:HR's DLC page and could not find it. Dug around for a link and finally found one.

Why the fuck is it a separate entry on the steam list?

That is dumb, but I believe it might have to do with the fact that the dlc itself has achievements. Correct me if i'm wrong but with most other games that get dlc, their achievements get pushed up to the base game. For some reason they didn't do that with this dlc. I think they need to revamp their dlc/achievement system.
I mostly hate it because it would be nice if it was dropped into the main game. Like if you had the DLC and started at the beginning and go to the "I'm going off the grid." part it dumped you in the DLC. Once done the DLC you continued on with the original game.

I can see the benefits of it being separate but... sorry its just stupid.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 11:21 Creston

jimnms wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 23:39:
I finished DX:HR over the weekend. It took me 89 hours, but I'm a bit OCD and have to make sure I explore every inch.

Argh, someone beat my 70 hours!

A lot of the augments were useless, and I saved my praxis points until I needed them. At one point I had 14 unused point, so I went ahead and fully upgraded dermal armor for the stupid boss battles, and the cloaking thing even though I'd made it that far without using it. I wasn't going for a pacifist run, but I was doing stealth and non-lethal because you get more XP. By the end of the game I had 9 unspent points. I never upgraded the battery things because I got by just fine with the single re-generating cell. I did upgrade the regen speed of unused cells though. I carried 5 of those energy bar things with me, and if I came across another one I just ate it. I never found a place where I needed more than two cells.

Pretty much everyone is in agreement that the energy bar upgrades are useless, unless you're doing a pure stealth run in which case it allows you to cloak longer. They should have always had the second to last cell recharge, so if you have 5 bars, it would recharge up to 3. That makes getting them worthwhile. As it is right now, there's no point.
And I agree that you do wind up with a lot of praxis points for which you don't really have a use. Whenever I do a playthrough now, I don't spend the first fix Praxis points, instead considering them a payoff for having health regen and a radar.

I felt the whole take-down system kind of ruins the game and made the stun gun completely useless.

You don't HAVE to use it.

First, why bother with having a lethal or non lethal option? You get more XP for a non-lethal take-down and there is no down side to using it

Technically there is, because they can be woken up by their buddies. However, since everyone sticks to such a strict route, the odds of one of them being found are low to nill, and that's a shame. Guards should have much bigger patrol routes, and randomly check behind places, at least on the higher diff levels. That would force you to really go out of your way to hide the bodies.

but using the lethal take-down causes any enemy on the map to hear it. They should have reversed it, have the lethal take-down quick and silent, but the non-lethal take-down louder. That would make doing a pacifist run much more challenging and make the stun gun useful.

They should both be noisy, actually. I have no idea why the game feels that punching someone in the face with your cyberarm somehow doesn't convey a sound to the guy standing five feet away...

It was also way too easy to get XP. After finishing a mission stealthily and getting the bonuses, you could turn around, go back and kill everyone for more XP.

Hahaha, I never even thought of that.

Hacking was too easy, and the stop worms and nuke viruses were useless. The only time I used one was by accident, and I had over a hundred of each by the end of the game.

Yeah. It's a fun minigame, and at least it doesn't get mind-numbingly boring like so many other minigames, but it could have done with bigger and more difficult levels to hack. Just upgrading the security rating on the security node isn't enough.

Then there was the endings.

The devs have admitted they let people down with the endings, and that they ran out of time. It sucks, but oh well.

Creston

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 11:11 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 09:39:
I skipped the boss fights by using a trainer, because those are so tedious

<hit typhoon key>
<hit typhoon key again>
<boss dies, show goes on>

THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

*air guitar*

Creston

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 09:39 nin

I skipped the boss fights by using a trainer, because those are so tedious

<hit typhoon key>
<hit typhoon key again>
<boss dies, show goes on>

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 08:59 deadearth

necrosis wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 08:46:
I heard the DLC was released. Went to DX:HR's DLC page and could not find it. Dug around for a link and finally found one.

That is dumb, but I believe it might have to do with the fact that the dlc itself has achievements. Correct me if i'm wrong but with most other games that get dlc, their achievements get pushed up to the base game. For some reason they didn't do that with this dlc. I think they need to revamp their dlc/achievement system.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 08:46 necrosis

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 08:31 Dunkirk

Anyone know how many DLC's they expect to make, and if they're going to release a "GOTY" version with everything all at once, sometime in the future?  
Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 08:20 Fibrocyte

I would rate DX:HR as an average game. It was entertaining but I'm disappointed by the fact that I paid full price for it.

I'll grab the DLC when it is way cheaper.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 05:05 Dmitri_M

A great game today is one that's on par with a title released 10 years ago. Best you can expect is no "progress".  

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 18, 2011, 23:39 jimnms

I finished DX:HR over the weekend. It took me 89 hours, but I'm a bit OCD and have to make sure I explore every inch. It was one of the better games of recent years, but I was left disappointed by it.

I felt the whole take-down system kind of ruins the game and made the stun gun completely useless. First, why bother with having a lethal or non lethal option? You get more XP for a non-lethal take-down and there is no down side to using it, but using the lethal take-down causes any enemy on the map to hear it. They should have reversed it, have the lethal take-down quick and silent, but the non-lethal take-down louder. That would make doing a pacifist run much more challenging and make the stun gun useful.

Hacking was too easy, and the stop worms and nuke viruses were useless. The only time I used one was by accident, and I had over a hundred of each by the end of the game.

Then there was the endings. My biggest (maybe only) complaint about the original Deus Ex was that you get right to the end to make your choice, but it wasn't as lame as walking into a room and being told push this button for this ending, or push this button for this ending... The second Deus Ex, as flawed as it was, wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. One thing it almost got right was the way the endings played out. Depending on which side you worked with more earlier in the game changed the way the final level played, but you could still change your mind and pick a different side at the last minute.

I've started another game, but this time I'm just going to run and gun through it and find all 29 of the XP books. I think I only missed one, and I know where it is. I saw it, but I couldn't get to it and after I cleared the way I forgot to go back for it. After that I'll play one more time on the hardest difficulty and go for the pacifist achievement. I did get the achievement for not setting off any alarms, which surprised me because I thought a turret spotted me and set off an alarm early in the game.

As for the DLC, I think I'll wait for a $5 sale.

Steam Profile

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 18, 2011, 22:43 Dev

tuddies wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 22:25:
What a great game! I wish the levels were even larger, but consoles don't have much memory. I skipped the boss fights by using a trainer, because those are so tedious, but just loved everything else about this fantastic Deus Ex remake. So polished and wonderful.

This DLC sounds great and I would love to see more released for this! Duke Nukem take note - this is how you remake a classic!
As mentioned in previous threads, you can put 2 points into the typhoon thing and kill any boss with 2 shots from typhoon. You could even use a trainer to get those extra 2 points.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 18, 2011, 22:25 tuddies

What a great game! I wish the levels were even larger, but consoles don't have much memory. I skipped the boss fights by using a trainer, because those are so tedious, but just loved everything else about this fantastic Deus Ex remake. So polished and wonderful.

This DLC sounds great and I would love to see more released for this! Duke Nukem take note - this is how you remake a classic!

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 18, 2011, 20:36 Dev

$15 seems a bit steep to me since I paid less than $30 for my pre-order. I think I'll wait.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo