Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic

The Battlefield Blog celebrates the conclusion of the open beta testing of Battlefield 3 with an Infographic with some eye-opening statistics about the test. Word is: "Did you know that if we had an empty 9mm casing for every shot fired in the Open Beta, we would have enough brass to melt and build almost 3,900 SU-27 Flanker jets? Okay, Flankers are not made out of brass, but still. For more stats and figures, check out the pic below. And thanks again for playing and helping make Battlefield 3 a better game at launch!"

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 21, 2011, 22:26 Verno

So did EA apparently judging by the commercial spamming of the "beta"  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 21, 2011, 14:20 Bhruic

It wasn't a beta anyway, it was a demo.

Close, but you got the words "demo" and "beta" in the wrong order.

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 21, 2011, 13:53 Verno

It wasn't a beta anyway, it was a demo.  

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 19, 2011, 16:03 eRe4s3r

Ah but its the repeating argument whether opinions about betas are worthless

For me, the only thing this beta is good is as a guide for later. Did they fix those things in Retail or not (and you can be sure i will dismantle any flaws and issues i find in Retail BF3 in a post here).

Sure the beta had some hefty issues and lots of glitches, but it was a beta. And I was in enough of them to not even bother anymore, if it had no glitches it wouldn't be called a beta now would it

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 19, 2011, 15:59 eRe4s3r

Your point is that you see negative buzz around BF3 beta and i am not denying that point. I just explained why that has no relevance. All that negative buzz is about an old beta, and i don't give 2 cents about a beta or how it plays and I certainly don't base buying decisions on it. So what else to call those who bash BF3 based on an old beta? ^^

And I never said I like BF3... ^^ I don't even have any opinion on it yet, except that its better in the beta than BC2 is right now. So yeah

Unless those "negative buzz generating guys" have played the retail their opinion isn't worth a damn, and certainly shouldn't be used to decide whether YOU like this game or not. Heck i don't want to convince you to buy BF3 - wait till its out, until people can comment here how it really plays. And then you will surely arrive at some opinion

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 19, 2011, 10:44 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 09:29:
The more opinions are around the more you will find some that agree with your own ;)

I didn't have time to play it. Never installed it. So I have no opinion, though I openly admit a dislike for the previous games.

Point being, in the terms of Internet BF3 beta was huge.

I never once commented on this, and certainly wouldn't deny it. That has nothing to do with anything I said and you referenced.

There'll be no shortage of nay-sayers and haters and there'll be thousands of those after a beta of this size.

Considering the nay-sayers and "haters" (what a stupid term) on this board are the exact same ones that have gone into every single MW3 thread to say "who cares about this game, BF3!" I take their turn of opinion fairly seriously.

The reality is that this was an open beta - you'll always find haters, but even if that were 1 million haters, that'd still make 7.1m potential buyers.

Stop with that stupid term. I'll just use an equally stupid, overused term and say you like it because you're a sheep. There. Can we stop with stupid terms that needlessly dismiss valid opinions?

BF3 will sell 7.1 million units easily. BC2 sold between 7 and 8. So what? MW3 will still sell 20. Justin Bieber will sell 7 million copies of his next album. What does this have to do with anything? The buzz on the internet post-beta is far worse than pre-beta. That's my point. You keep arguing unrelated things. Will you really deny my only point?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 19, 2011, 10:33 Verno

That's just a roundabout way of saying you liked it so all other opinions are dismissed as haters and naysayers. Some of us like more measured feedback, both positive and negative.

Also what if 7.9 million people didn't like it?

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2011, 10:40.

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 19, 2011, 09:29 eRe4s3r

The more opinions are around the more you will find some that agree with your own

Point being, in the terms of Internet BF3 beta was huge. There'll be no shortage of nay-sayers and haters and there'll be thousands of those after a beta of this size. And yeah, i liked BF3 even with the hundreds of beta bugs, the suppression mechanic alone is one of the best systems ever made, and when Caspian really worked for a moment it was one of the most epic battles I ever saw. I can't even go back to BC2 now least alone BF2, it just feels so inferior.

The reality is that this was an open beta - you'll always find haters, but even if that were 1 million haters, that'd still make 7.1m potential buyers.

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 19, 2011, 09:24 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 22:59:
Yeah the buzz was so bad that a laughable 8.1 million players played it

: Sigh :

How is the amount of people that played something relative to the buzz around it?
The buzz around BF3 was high prior to the beta. The beta then came out for free. It makes perfect sense that a few million people played it.

Then the beta turned out to be less than many had hoped. They took to the internet and complained. The buzz on the game soured.

This isn't rocket science, people? The arguments you're making aren't even connected. Something free will always have a lot of people checking it out. That has nothing to do with whether the people enjoyed it or not. Just open up any of the post-beta BF3 threads here and compare them to the pre-beta BF3 threads to see how the word of mouth soured.

-------------

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 19, 2011, 09:17 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 22:59:

People love console betas and never put it past a publisher to lie about statistics.

Verno disagrees? Or is just stating the obvious that a technical issue can happen regardless of server browser implementation?

I don't agree that just because something can potentially be fixed faster that Dice will necessarily do so based on past behavior.

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 22:59 eRe4s3r

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 20:22 Sepharo

Malachii wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 14:25:
Surely with in being in browser and all on their back end, the days of waiting for them to fix a server browser issue with a client patch are gone. in theory, they should be able to roll out fixes much faster now.
If they do, is still in the air..

This is my thought on it too.

Verno disagrees? Or is just stating the obvious that a technical issue can happen regardless of server browser implementation?

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 14:25 Malachii

Surely with in being in browser and all on their back end, the days of waiting for them to fix a server browser issue with a client patch are gone. in theory, they should be able to roll out fixes much faster now.
If they do, is still in the air..

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 12:51 Verno

Matshock wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 12:07:
The fact that I loaded up Origin and was able to use it and the Battlelog browser with the same firewall and no problems tells me that is not likely the case.

You're drawing a conclusion based on a singular experience, not the underlying ports used or other potential issues. Moving the browser out of the client does not mean they will not create the exact same scenario whether its by not implementing UPnP correctly (something Dice has a habit of doing every other patch) or by things like a software upgrade creating an out of date plugin that won't be loaded (just an example off the top of my head).

Put differently, there is literally no reason they could not have implemented everything identically in-game. A technical fuckup is just that, it will happen regardless of where things are. This is Dice we're talking about here, by all means don't let me rain on your optimism but I'd temper things accordingly based on their previous launches and patches

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 12:07 Matshock

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 11:11:

There's nothing preventing the same thing from happening again, they just moved the browser out of the client. In fact if anything its more likely to occur because of potential problems with the web plugins and browser compatibility.

The fact that I loaded up Origin and was able to use it and the Battlelog browser with the same firewall and no problems tells me that is not likely the case. I could browse servers, look at stats screens, etc.

The only option in the BC2 beta was "join a game now" if that tells you anything.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 11:11 Verno

Yep, BC2's in-game browser was inop on release and then died again months later after a patch for some of us with a hardware firewall. There was a period of several weeks where I couldn't play a game that I had been playing for months.

I'm glad to see the in-game browser gone.

There's nothing preventing the same thing from happening again, they just moved the browser out of the client. In fact if anything its more likely to occur because of potential problems with the web plugins and browser compatibility.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 10:59 Beamer

You mention that we preoder something that had bad word of mouth.. Says who?

Do you read the internet?
The buzz around the beta was bad. Hence bad word of mouth.

-------------

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 10:56 Matshock

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 21:52:
Don't be hilarious, nobody expects it to be fixed in the gold copy, but the 0-day patch which everyone know will come on release day will likely fix plenty of things Add to that that the beta really was a month old when it started they had 2 months to fix issues, and i have no doubt they did that.

Don't tell me you haven't been around BC2 rel on pc and what a crap-fest that was on release. With this a lot more rides on it for EA so they will make sure EVERY issue is patched and every little nagging detail is addressed. The alternative is to lose to Cod which releases a whole month later, its during that time BF3 either wins or loses the war.

So yeah

Yep, BC2's in-game browser was inop on release and then died again months later after a patch for some of us with a hardware firewall. There was a period of several weeks where I couldn't play a game that I had been playing for months.

I'm glad to see the in-game browser gone.

I'm pretty sure the game play portions of the beta were obsolete when they were released. I know that was the case with the BC2 beta.

Finally if NVIDIA gets an official driver out on time I expect BF3 to be quite playable on release day.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 10:49 Malachii

I guess it boils down to a level of commitment. I am dedicated to the BF series. For preordering through Origin we get the expansion pack for free.
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/blog/bf3-pre-order

As far as the impressions from one solitary fan, if you have a spare hour, check out: (I started at what is probably the key question)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UAfQNX14rCY#t=2957s

You mention that we preoder something that had bad word of mouth.. Says who? You? Other negative players that aren't fans? Lol. Makes no sense. Like every big title, it's not for everyone. Great! I cannot speak for other preorder customers, but I suspect it does not have a "bad word of mouth" to us.

People preorder for many reasons:

*To make sure they get a copy
*Support a franchise/developer
*Pay for something ahead of time while funds are available
*Secure bonuses

For me, the last 3 are key and are the reasons I am excited for next week.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Infographic Oct 18, 2011, 10:29 Beamer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those post-beta impressions are from one guy that had smoke blown up his ass a little, right? He felt special playing it?

Why, exactly, are you guys happy to be preorder customers? What does preordering get you that makes it so special and worth guaranteeing money down rather than waiting even a few hours to get some kind of consensus? This isn't like the days of Super Mario 3 where if you don't preorder it could be months until you get the game. Hell, with Steam you could have it in hours without even putting on pants.

So why preorder something that has bad word of mouth rather than simply waiting and seeing? Why be happy that you preordered something with bad word of mouth?

I'll still only preorder games I'm pretty sure I'll like and that Amazon offers $20 cash back on. No other preorder bonus is worthwhile, and I'll only do it for something like Batman that is a pretty solid bet that I'll get my money's worth after that $20 off.

-------------

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo