Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"

IGN quotes DICE creative director Lars Gustavsson on the topic of the Battlefield 3 open beta test. As far as putting the military shooter sequel through its paces, he's making a note here, "huge success":

"Looking at the open beta, for us at DICE it's truly been a huge success," said Gustavsson. "We could have been better in how we messaged this to the community, what we were doing and why it's not as polished as a final demo but there is a reason we called it a beta and not a demo."

"This test was done so we would get as many eyes as possible on the game code to ensure a good release, and that means hammering the back end, seeing that the servers hold up, making sure we get all the telemetry we need, that all the hooks are working and also getting a good first take on the balancing of the game. What is the score progression? How are people doing?

"But of course also Origin and Battlelog, all of these things that we need to get ready for the final ship. So for us it's been really useful and I would really say mission accomplished. Once again, yes, there is a vocal community out there but I wouldn't like to have it any other way. It's dedication and passion when people speak up and there's nothing wrong with passion."

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 19, 2011, 07:13 Dades

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 22:17:
That's me too. Everyone says "Keep playing - we all started out at the bottom!" But after 5 solid months of trying to get better at BF Bad Company 2 multiplayer, I would still consistently finish with a 1:5 Kill:Death ratio (at BEST) and be at or near the bottom of my server for points even though I was sincerely trying my best to coordinate with my team and perform my role. I was never really good even in my youth, but now I'm just terrible at mp games. There's just not much fun in dying repeatedly. And that's not even counting the low tolerance I have for the many asshats and griefers you're bound to run into during the coarse of the game. No, I just don't find any enjoyment in mp anymore. My favorite way to play BF 2 and 2142 is singleplayer with bots or in coop (the "HER" mods are wonderful in this regard).

You only need to die repeatedly for about an hour before things start to click unless you're handicapped and I know a few handicapped players who aren't that bad so you probably just need to suck it up and practice a bit. It doesn't take long to get decent and the bots present no challenge at all so you might as well get your moneys worth.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 18, 2011, 23:53 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 22:17:
As much as I hate to admit it, SP might be the only reason I get BF3. I don't have the reflexes to keep up with these kids anymore. I generally get my ass handed to me in mp more than I like to admit.

That's me too. Everyone says "Keep playing - we all started out at the bottom!" But after 5 solid months of trying to get better at BF Bad Company 2 multiplayer, I would still consistently finish with a 1:5 Kill:Death ratio (at BEST) and be at or near the bottom of my server for points even though I was sincerely trying my best to coordinate with my team and perform my role. I was never really good even in my youth, but now I'm just terrible at mp games. There's just not much fun in dying repeatedly. And that's not even counting the low tolerance I have for the many asshats and griefers you're bound to run into during the coarse of the game. No, I just don't find any enjoyment in mp anymore. My favorite way to play BF 2 and 2142 is singleplayer with bots or in coop (the "HER" mods are wonderful in this regard).

This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

71. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 18, 2011, 22:17 Prez

As much as I hate to admit it, SP might be the only reason I get BF3. I don't have the reflexes to keep up with these kids anymore. I generally get my ass handed to me in mp more than I like to admit.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

70. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 18, 2011, 07:08 ASeven

Kotaku considers the SP campaign very dull.  

69. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 18, 2011, 06:20 Ledge

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 18:04:
Yifes wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 17:05:
Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 14:39:
The Battlefield series isn't known for its wonderful singleplayer campaigns, the people who are paying $60 for a cinematic FPS experience will likely buy a Call of Duty game. Hell even the Call of Duty games get their mileage out of the MP.

It's pretty clear that DICE is heavily going after the singleplayer FPS market, and from the extensive gameplay demos, BF3 is going a damn good job standing up to the Call of Duty franchise. It's probably the first military themed FPS campaign that I've looked forward to playing since the original Call of Duty.

same here.

68. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 18, 2011, 04:54 InBlack

Smooth Gravy wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 13:00:
I'm also looking forward to release. I thought the beta went relatively well and look forward to seeing all the maps and playing with my clan mates. To me, battlelog is a pretty smart idea. Social networking is obviously huge right now and they are trying to appeal to the masses. I would also assume that it will be a matter of time before someone comes up with a way to implement a shortcut on your desktop that takes you right into a favorite server, bypassing the need to mess around in battlelog.

You mean like we had in Quakeworld back in the 90s?

I have a nifty blue line!

67. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 18, 2011, 02:17 Jerykk

Back when PC FPS games went from having long single player campaigns plus multiplayer(Duke Nukem, Quake, Unreal)to multiplayer only for the same price (Quake 3, Unreal Tournament) I thought it was a rip off. The Battlefield series was the only exception where the multiplayer content seemed so extensive that it justified the cost.

I didn't feel that way at all. Quake 3, UT and Tribes all had very comprehensive multiplayer, far more than the MP components included with previous SP iterations (if any). As such, I've never really been compelled by multiplayer that was included with a single-player game. It's always felt tacked on and lacking in depth.

Or for a more recent example, look at the failure of Unreal Tournament 3 on consoles compared to the success of Gears of War. Certainly the lack of a true single player component in the former had a lot to do with that.

That's not really a good example at all. UT3 was a failure in all regards. It didn't please fans of UT2004 and it didn't please anyone else. The lack of a proper single-player campaign had nothing to do with it. As for GoW, it's a much more casual game than UT. It's also much more playable with gamepads. It's not surprising that the series has done so well on consoles.

A better example of how SP components don't really matter in multiplayer games is Tribes: Vengeance. Irrational put a lot of effort into the SP campaign and it was actually half-decent. Unfortunately, it was not representative of multiplayer gameplay at all and the multiplayer itself felt somewhat half-assed, no doubt a result of the split focus between MP and SP. Unsurprisingly, T:V was the worst-selling game in the series.

It's probably the first military themed FPS campaign that I've looked forward to playing since the original Call of Duty.

Wait, what? The BF3 SP campaign looks just as derivative and uninspired as all the CoD campaigns made in the past 6 years. Completely linear, completely scripted, follow NPCs and wait for them to open doors, formulaic sniping/stealth/rail segments, etc. Literally nothing unique or ambitious about it whatsoever. Hell, the last Operation Flashpoint SP campaign was more interesting.

66. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 23:12 [VG]Reagle

That is a nice post. Not the typical FLAME post i lean towards but well thought out. Go figure....  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

65. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 22:07 ColoradoHoudini

Anyone else read someones overly positive post, not recognize their name and then see that they have less than 20 posts and immediately discredit them?
I see about 5 in this thread.. and I can't help but believe they are plants.

Also...
Any smart FPS veteran (such as you'll find here) will tell you that we've all been burned more than once after buying a game on release day and finding the same bugs that existed in beta that we were promised were fixed before the game went gold.

So having reservations about the launch product is not without merit.

64. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 19:24 Verno

Yeah, I think console gamers simply will not accept a full price online-only FPS. For that price, they expect a single-player campaign as well. And I pretty much agree with them.

Exactly. It's as much a bullet point as anything else. When that CoD producer revealed most people don't even finish the short to average length of most their games it wasn't exactly a revelation. Will BF3 be a better effort than their few previous attempts? We'll see but I really doubt "most people" are doing it for that alone.

For the love of god... please people stop trying to speak for other people. YOU don't give a shit about the SP game, that's fine. You are not remotely qualified to decide what "most" people care about.

Doesn't make it any less true Baby

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

63. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 18:06 entr0py

Yeah, I think console gamers simply will not accept a full price online-only FPS. For that price, they expect a single-player campaign as well. And I pretty much agree with them.

Back when PC FPS games went from having long single player campaigns plus multiplayer(Duke Nukem, Quake, Unreal)to multiplayer only for the same price (Quake 3, Unreal Tournament) I thought it was a rip off. The Battlefield series was the only exception where the multiplayer content seemed so extensive that it justified the cost. But I doubt I'd feel that way if I was playing on an xbox with smaller maps, fewer players, and a monthly online fee.

Or for a more recent example, look at the failure of Unreal Tournament 3 on consoles compared to the success of Gears of War. Certainly the lack of a true single player component in the former had a lot to do with that.

62. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 18:04 RollinThundr

Yifes wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 17:05:
The Battlefield series isn't known for its wonderful singleplayer campaigns, the people who are paying $60 for a cinematic FPS experience will likely buy a Call of Duty game. Hell even the Call of Duty games get their mileage out of the MP.

It's pretty clear that DICE is heavily going after the singleplayer FPS market, and from the extensive gameplay demos, BF3 is going a damn good job standing up to the Call of Duty franchise. It's probably the first military themed FPS campaign that I've looked forward to playing since the original Call of Duty.

61. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished" Oct 17, 2011, 17:28 DangerDog

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1285/30ibq.jpg

proof that buying cd-keys from these online outlet places are legit, well some of them are anyway.

60. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 17:05 Yifes

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2011, 17:11.

59. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 16:56 Agent.X7

Teddy wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 16:17:
Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:59:

Second, most people don't give a shit about the SP game so obviously they would base their decision on how the multiplayer

For the love of god... please people stop trying to speak for other people. YOU don't give a shit about the SP game, that's fine. You are not remotely qualified to decide what "most" people care about.

BF has a single player game?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

58. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 16:17 Teddy

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:59:

Second, most people don't give a shit about the SP game so obviously they would base their decision on how the multiplayer

57. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished" Oct 17, 2011, 16:16 Trevellian

Was their mission to get me to not buy the game?

Because that is all the beta really accomplished for me.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

56. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished" Oct 17, 2011, 15:53 LordLaggart

I'm amazed by the ammount of posts complaining about aspects of the game other than the gameplay itself. BF2 had a crappy bad in game server browser. I wasn't thrilled about getting origin to play BF3, but it worked well and did so quickly. Game play was good and seemed fresh, the rush game mode was a lot of fun. I can't tell you how excited I am to have a real shooter to play again. No more Black Ops sillyness. Be glad that we all got a chance to check the game out at all without having to shell out 59.99.  

55. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 15:42 theyarecomingforyou

Agreed with this though, people make really dumb generalizations about AMD and Nvidia. I own an Nvidia card and had problems with Rage until I had newer drivers and Bethesda patched it. Yes AMD isn't known for their wonderful OpenGL drivers but some Nvidia owners had problems too. People see typically more issues with AMD cards because developers don't test against them as often, there are a multitude of reasons why that happens but that's for a different thread.
Indeed. The updated drivers from AMD and the patch from id Software addressed the majority of issues with RAGE. The first patch had to disable UBOs, because they caused issues with AMD cards - this is after months of testing and the game having been gold for a month before release. And id Software spent additional time supporting nVidia cards, adding GPU transcoding, etc. It's a bit hard to compete with that sort of bias. To blame this all on AMD is simply wrong, though they share much of the blame. But nVidia has just as much trouble, as my brother was complaining about nVidia's new drivers for BF3 being unstable in other games.

Do I think that AMD needs to improve their drivers? Definitely. They need a huge overhaul, if only to prove that they are supported. Do I think that nVidia has better options available in their drivers? Definitely. But I have a Crossfire card, which you'd expect to throw up more issues, yet I've had a very good experience over the two years I've had it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

54. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:59 Verno

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 14:56:
Hah, I wasn't the only one that caught that. People on the internet are always tired of new releases, apparently. I myself look forward to new releases, but sometimes I am cautious of them. Or, you know, wary.

Posting before coffee leads to these things sadly, my bad

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo