Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 15, 2011, 21:55 spindoctor

PHJF wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 19:23:
Using materials selected by the producer is hardly "irrelevant" when reviewing a product.

You misunderstood what I posted. I was saying that a dvd with screenshots and videos is not relevant for PC reviews because it's a trivial task for the reviewer to create his own screens and videos. However, it's a bit trickier on consoles because there you need dedicated hardware to capture stuff.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 15, 2011, 19:23 PHJF

As for reused screenshots, they're probably taken from the press kit dvd which contains screenshots and videos so that the reviewers don't have to make their own. Not particularly relevant for a PC review as both tasks are trivial there, but it's a bit trickier for consoles.

Using materials selected by the producer is hardly "irrelevant" when reviewing a product.

Nine out of ten (of our employees) say our product is the cat's ass!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 15, 2011, 18:45 Dirwulf

The reviews do sound good, but I'm still not paying $15 for it.

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2011, 17:43 spindoctor

Any map that's frustrating for snipers is a good map as far as I'm concerned. Snipers are the assholes of online shooters, and this is not criticism of the players, it's just how the sniper class plays. I don't see why the maps have to be designed to provide them safety while playing.

As for reused screenshots, they're probably taken from the press kit dvd which contains screenshots and videos so that the reviewers don't have to make their own. Not particularly relevant for a PC review as both tasks are trivial there, but it's a bit trickier for consoles.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2011, 16:32 Quboid

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 16:13:
nin wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 15:26:

I didn't read every word of the reviews, or study the screenshots, as I'm wanting to have some surprise as I play it.

I always avoid reading reviews too closely. Too many spoilers, even if they are only minor ones. I want the first experience with a new game to be mine. ALL MINE!!!

I know a lot of people criticise review scores, with reason, but often that and the summary is all I read to avoid spoilers.

- Quboid

6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2011, 16:13 Prez

nin wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 15:26:

I didn't read every word of the reviews, or study the screenshots, as I'm wanting to have some surprise as I play it.

I always avoid reading reviews too closely. Too many spoilers, even if they are only minor ones. I want the first experience with a new game to be mine. ALL MINE!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2011, 15:26 nin

I'd bet they were given to the press. You see that in some reviews, too.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2011, 15:20 Quboid

nin wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 15:05:

Some good reviews there on the DX DLC....good to know!

It's lame that PC Gamer and RPS use the same screen shots. Are they from a press pack or are Tom Francis and Jim Rossignol the same person?

- Quboid

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2011, 15:05 nin

Some good reviews there on the DX DLC....good to know!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2011, 14:52 xXBatmanXx

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 14:48:
I enjoy the CoD games on the 360, I should play them on the PC so I can aim 10 times better. I guess thinking about lag just stays my hand, lag ruins shooters. Anybody play it? How's the latency? I have a halfway decent internet connection that averages 30 mbs, but I'm often at the mercy of the game servers.

It runs better on the PC, period, as the Black Ops for the PC is a dedicated server, not a P2P.

That being said, this is the most honest review of a CoD game I have ever read. It ends with:
Black Ops’ competitive maps are becoming more and more like novelty paintball arenas. Visually fancy, geographically familiar, and as frustrating as ever for non-snipers. The ambitious zombie level doesn’t even come close to justifying the ludicrous price tag.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2011, 14:48 JohnBirshire

I enjoy the CoD games on the 360, I should play them on the PC so I can aim 10 times better. I guess thinking about lag just stays my hand, lag ruins shooters. Anybody play it? How's the latency? I have a halfway decent internet connection that averages 30 mbs, but I'm often at the mercy of the game servers.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo