Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

NPD September Figures

The L.A. Times has a bit on the September sales figures reported by the NPD Group. Word is game sales are up and hardware sales are down:

The starting gun for the video game industry's crucial holiday season went off with a bang in September as sales of games perked up 4% after four consecutive months of declines, according to a report from market research firm NPD Group.

But as the industry scored $630.2 million in sales of games sold at retail stores last month, up from $612.1 million a year earlier, sales of consoles tumbled 9% to $349 million from $382.9 million in 2010, as manufacturers cut the cost of devices used to play those games. Nintendo's hand-held 3DS console, for example, saw its price tag fall to $170 from $250 when it launched in March.

The decline in hardware offset the gains in game sales, leading to a 6% overall drop in total sales to $1.16 billion from $1.23 billion in September 2010.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 22:31 theyarecomingforyou

Ruffiana wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 18:04:
Why do we lump game software and game hardware together in sales charts?

Do DVDs and DVD players typically get lumped together? Music and iPods? Serious, curious question here.
Exactly. They shouldn't be grouped together, unless trying to make a specific point. All the consoles already have a large userbase, therefore the trends in software sales are far more important. For instance, if they're still selling new consoles but there's a decline in software sales then that would be concerning.

Also, it's the profitability that is most important. It doesn't matter if console sales dropped 31% if they're actually generating more profit through cost reductions in manufacturing.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 19:51 SimplyMonk

Ruffiana wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 18:04:

Do DVDs and DVD players typically get lumped together? Music and iPods? Serious, curious question here.

Meh. Some people care about attach rates for certain titles or if a title's release pushed sales for the hardware. I'm sure Ocarina of Time for the 3DS caused 3DS sales to spike somewhat. Just another way to view the data that some people find value in.

10. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 18:35 Ruffiana

DangerDog wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 18:16:
I wonder how many xbox360's and PS3's have been manufactured in total, I picture this massive landfill piled mile high when they finally do a refresh on these things.

Probably pale in comparison to things like plastic water bottles or utensils, old computer monitors and TVs, etc.

9. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 18:16 DangerDog

I wonder how many xbox360's and PS3's have been manufactured in total, I picture this massive landfill piled mile high when they finally do a refresh on these things.  

8. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 18:04 Ruffiana

7. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 16:32 Metasparks

It make sense. This hardware cycle is begging for a refresh!  

6. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 16:05 SimplyMonk

spindoctor wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 14:04:
The PS3 price drop came after May I believe. That didn't help it's sales go up?

Date :: Unit Sales Year on Year PS3 - All SKUs
2011-01 -3%
2011-02 +11%
2011-03 +15%
2011-04 +12%
2011-05 +13%
2011-06 -8%
2011-07 -32%
2011-08 -4%

The September data I have is a little spotty right now so I don't trust the numbers for it yet but it doesn't look good. The PS3 price drop helped it do far better than the 360 and the WII (which has been abysmal), but still not as good as last year.

5. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 14:31 Wildone

its the pirates!  

4. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 14:04 spindoctor

SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 13:42:

Hardware Units sold had a good spike this year compared to last due to those price drops up until about May (~30% on a average). Now everything is trending about a ~15% loss year on year.

The PS3 price drop came after May I believe. That didn't help it's sales go up?

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

3. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 13:42 SimplyMonk

spindoctor wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 10:50:
Would be interesting to see an estimate of units sold. The LA Times article doesn't mention those numbers.

Hardware Units sold had a good spike this year compared to last due to those price drops up until about May (~30% on a average). Now everything is trending about a ~15% loss year on year.

Except for the WII and NDS those have been doing horrible all year long down ~30% on average. They are making that up slightly with the 3DS now selling "decent" with its price drop, but nowhere near what they expected or what the NDS has done in the past.

2. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 10:57 Bludd

Short-term statistics such as these are worthless.  

1. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 14, 2011, 10:50 spindoctor

Considering that prices of all the consoles came down in the last year, it's definitely possible that the volume of units sold might still be holding steady or even possibly increasing and they are still generating less revenues for the manufacturers. Would be interesting to see an estimate of units sold. The LA Times article doesn't mention those numbers.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo