Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount

Following the recent mea culpa from CCP's Hilmar Veigar Pétursson over EVE Online missteps, Massively has word that most former subscribers whose accounts lapsed during or before what they call "the Summer drama" are receiving emails offering a special rate of $4.95 USD for 30 days of subscription time.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 15, 2011, 14:18 Prez

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 13:09:
The reason why Eve players, as a whole, appear to be the most arrogant of the bunch is because of the learning curve required in order to actually enjoy the game and get the ball rolling.

It's kind of like the real world where any successful business person is sort of a dick because of all the hard work they put in to it to get where they are and we all know how serious Eve is when it comes to their economy.

Well, at least you presented a logical counterpoint. I would offer the counter-counterpoint (shut up, it works ) that the "being a dick" part seems to come more from elitist snobbery (I am SOOO educated, successful and sexy! Too bad for all of the little people who aren't me!") than solely from the virtue of being a hard worker or successful. That's been my experience anyway. Still, your point is taken; the learning curve of EVE by all accounts isn't so much a 'curve' as it is a sheer precipice made of obsidian.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 15, 2011, 13:09 Wallshadows

The reason why Eve players, as a whole, appear to be the most arrogant of the bunch is because of the learning curve required in order to actually enjoy the game and get the ball rolling.

It's kind of like the real world where any successful business person is sort of a dick because of all the hard work they put in to it to get where they are and we all know how serious Eve is when it comes to their economy.

24. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 15, 2011, 12:00 Killswitch

Agrikaan wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 20:59:
You read shit on the internet, voices by the loudmouths (and as you said, the drama queens)

You know what--he's absolutely right. In fact, I'm replying to that very thing as we speak. Mwahaha

23. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 15, 2011, 09:19 dos

I guess you all don't know what you are talking about...unbelievable  

22. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 15, 2011, 08:00 Prez

You clearly don't have a clue on what the average EVE player is like, I do. You read shit on the internet, voices by the loudmouths (and as you said, the drama queens), and draw your conclusions about the entire game, and the community, from that 1%.

It's funny how if it's only 1%, every person I speak to who plays EVE is as obnoxious and arrogant as you are. Maybe I'm just lucky and running into all of the people that comprise that 1%.

If we all know nothing, then what is your reason for hanging around and barking at all of the ignorant, un-washed masses? What, you just couldn't sleep at night knowing someone, somewhere doesn't like EVE? So you log in to just to belittle those who dare say something negative about an MMO you don't play. At least we stay out of the game to not spoil it for those who do like it. You, on the other hand, contaminate our forum with your childish tantrums and yell at those who don't like what we see and hear about the game and its players. You are truly pathetic; get out of our forum and go mine some space dust for a few weeks unless you actually want to be a part of the community instead of beating us over the head with how dumb we are.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2011, 08:14.

21. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 15, 2011, 00:33 Ginny

I wouldn't be drawn in to this, it's a smoke screen.

One of the more realistic reasons people unsubbed, they got fed up with rmt/bots that rule eve's end game.

CCP's failing that they do bugger all about.

20. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 21:24 fujiJuice

Quboid wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 21:06:
Prez wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 20:33:
Agrikaan wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 18:14:
Prez wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 16:26:
Being the space sim freak that I am, it would stand to reason that I would be the prime audience for a game like EVE. In truth, given that it's an MMO (which I universally despise), has a monthly fee (which I patently refuse to pay to play a game), is made up of, and in fact is essentially run by, the "hardcore" (in other words, elitist snobs who'll shit all over you for not doing things 'correctly') and is more like a prime time soap opera than a space sim if the press it gets is any indication, I couldn't really care any less about EVE than I do.

All of the quitters can stay quit, and take all of the other drama queens along with them for all I care. Wake me when these obviously talented developers make an actual game.

Haha, who's the drama queen again?

Honestly, you know nothing about the game, and the players apparently. But I agree, it's much more fun to judge and condemn based on feelings and strict home made policies instead of experience and knowledge. It satisifies like nothing else!

Please stay in your room with your hands in the pockets and look all grumpy because the world hasn't yet delivered all that it owes you.

You are EXACTLY the kind of person that plays EVE that I detest. Arrogant, rude, self-important, condescending, and obnoxious. Thank you for so vividly illustrating my point.

Clap Clap Clap

You win the thread.

Seriously, this guy needs a coke and a smile.

19. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 21:06 Quboid

Being the space sim freak that I am, it would stand to reason that I would be the prime audience for a game like EVE. In truth, given that it's an MMO (which I universally despise), has a monthly fee (which I patently refuse to pay to play a game), is made up of, and in fact is essentially run by, the "hardcore" (in other words, elitist snobs who'll shit all over you for not doing things 'correctly') and is more like a prime time soap opera than a space sim if the press it gets is any indication, I couldn't really care any less about EVE than I do.

All of the quitters can stay quit, and take all of the other drama queens along with them for all I care. Wake me when these obviously talented developers make an actual game.

Honestly, you know nothing about the game, and the players apparently. But I agree, it's much more fun to judge and condemn based on feelings and strict home made policies instead of experience and knowledge. It satisifies like nothing else!

Please stay in your room with your hands in the pockets and look all grumpy because the world hasn't yet delivered all that it owes you.

You are EXACTLY the kind of person that plays EVE that I detest. Arrogant, rude, self-important, condescending, and obnoxious. Thank you for so vividly illustrating my point.

Clap Clap Clap

You win the thread.

- Quboid

18. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 21:04 Agrikaan

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 19:25:
Aqrikaan, instead of being the asshole on the the 'high and mighty' pedestal, how about you offer some words of wisdom to the lowly masses?

No. Not going to defend EVE verbally. I don't even play it anymore. If you want to know more about it, try it, there's a trial.

If some people are going to crank down on it, while clearly not knowing whats it about... Judging and moralising with no or little facts, that's how wars get started... And how drama queens... uh dramatizes.

And get in touch with a Corporation, to get some advice and help. Most players are very helpful and most Corps are actively looking for new recruits. Some even offer freebies. The game itself is a bit complex, and you will have to commit a little before it gets rewarding, "kicks in". It's a BIG sandbox. That's why many who wants insta-gratifications can't stand it, and prefer to judge it from that perspective.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2011, 21:40.

17. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 20:59 Agrikaan

You are MOST welcome, please continue to stay away. Even though I don't play EVE. And lets be honest, get a mirror up, and you'll find that the arrogance, rudeness, self-importantness, condescendingness, and obnoxiousness started with you. Sorry for that. If you can't take a reply in kind, don't post. If you want to bash down on something, at least have some good facts on what it is.

You clearly don't have a clue on what the average EVE player is like, I do. You read shit on the internet, voices by the loudmouths (and as you said, the drama queens), and draw your conclusions about the entire game, and the community, from that 1%.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2011, 21:37.

16. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 20:33 Prez

15. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 20:31 bhcompy

Umbragen wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 17:22:
I don't understand what exactly brought on the collective tantrum. Yeah, the virtual goods are a monumental waste, but if you're willing to pay real money for something that doesn't exist, you get what you deserve. You aren't forced to participate. The captains quarters are a non-issue, you still have the same access to the original interface. And again, you aren't forced to use it. From what I can see a bunch of crybabies rage-quit because they can no longer spin their ships in the hanger.

A bunch of stupid kids acted like EVE was run by Gaddahfi, Hitler, and Satan all rolled in to one, and then they joined in to a cyberprotest that was supposed to be like the ones of the Arab Spring. It was ridiculous and stupid. The trigger was some real money items, a leaked internal discussion piece, and some other crap.

Ultimately, it didn't change anything. Goons and Russians still rule the nullsec roost, bad alliances failcascaded, and the Thunderdome still lives.

On the bright side, I'm happy a bunch of annoying twats quit.

14. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 20:30 Sugarman

I play it and enjoy it. Join a good corp, get to know the people in the corp and have fun doing whatever it is that you'd like to do, we're primarily pvp and we have a blast doing it. And we're recruiting as of now, so look for "Sedition" alliance and apply! http://www.sedition-alliance.com

I've been playing for almost 5 years and it's kinda like hanging out with your buddies drinking when we play, "yes, alcohol and eve mix well", we go on pvp ops, get drunk, talk smack, and have lots of fun. I call most of my corpmates friends irl and they are all really normal people with lives/jobs/families, "we won't recruit players under 18". You'd be surprised at the social interaction between us, everything from tips to help each other run our business/jobs in the real world to relationship advice. I'm taking some of them on a trip to Hawaii when I get time to visit one of our other corpmates who lives there. I'll be playing it as long as CCP stays in business and keeps pushing out the updates.

13. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 20:03 Jonny

I don't understand what exactly brought on the collective tantrum. Yeah, the virtual goods are a monumental waste, but if you're willing to pay real money for something that doesn't exist, you get what you deserve. You aren't forced to participate. The captains quarters are a non-issue, you still have the same access to the original interface. And again, you aren't forced to use it. From what I can see a bunch of crybabies rage-quit because they can no longer spin their ships in the hanger.

It was a storm in a teacup, but it was just the tip of the annoyance iceberg for a lot of people. Basically for the last few years EVE's subscription money wasn't being ploughed back into the game, it's been syphoned off to fund development on WoD and Dust. While investment in new games and technology is a sound idea, so much was being taken that it was becoming very obvious almost nothing was being done in EVE itself.

When Incarna released with one CQ masquerading as an expansion, then the NEX store hit, it also became clear that they weren't just diverting resources from EVE, they were also using it as a test bed for technologies and concepts to use in the other two games which had no connection to EVE's flying in space.

That's what triggered all the emo raging in the summer, not just the NEX store, and the promise to redirect resources back into EVE's space game and stop buggering about has mollified most people.

12. removed Oct 14, 2011, 19:25 The Half Elf

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 15, 2011, 12:55.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 18:14 Agrikaan

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2011, 18:24.

10. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 17:54 DeadlyAccurate

So in the first sentence you acknowledge that you have no idea what brought on the "tantrum," and in the last you decide it must have been all about the lack of ship spinning.

Like many things in life, it was far more complicated than just being caused by any one thing. It was an accumulation of problems that culminated in Monoclegate. Brendan Drain probably gave the most succinct explanation of all the problems on Massively back in June in his two page article.

9. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 17:22 Umbragen

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2011, 17:38.

8. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 16:26 Prez

7. Re: EVE Online Defectors Get Apology Discount Oct 14, 2011, 15:07 Agrikaan

Tumbler wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 12:15:
The game would be a lot more interesting if that was the normal monthly price. For all the time you spend "playing" the game I'd say $5 is a more reasonable price to ask customers to pay. Maybe limit the equipment/ships you can use at that price if you must, tech 1 stuff only for example.

I think I could justify jumping into the game in a cruiser and frigate and going out to fight for $5 a month. $15 leaves me feeling abused at the end of the month. Thanx for spending 2 hours traveling to a trade hub to sell all the crap you've been collecting for a week. Now give me $15.

No thanx.

Another one who knows nothing. You seem to waste time, and you don't waste more time by grinding in EVE than in any other MMO. Probably less. Unless you want to.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo