Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As Halloween approaches, I have to confess to an unusual failure of will power. We picked up a couple of large sacks of candy for the kiddies, as usual picking out stuff that we (okay, I) like, since I'll have to (okay, get to) eat the leftovers. Normally I'll let them be, but somewhere along the way I opened one of them, and by now I have probably eaten half of it. I guess I'm going to have to replace what I took, and maybe I need to rethink the part about getting stuff I like to reduce this temptation (mmm, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups).

Tempted Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Zombie Defense Agency.
Pirates of the Undead Sea.
Links: The 10 Weirdest Things You Can Do With Your Ashes.
Stories: R.I.P., the movie camera- 1888-2011. Thanks scorcese.fan.
Arrested Development Classic Movie Posters. Thanks Neatorama.
The Cycle of Life is a Beautiful Thing.
Media: The Big Bang Theory - Brent Spiner: Mortal Enemy.
Conan O'Brien Kicks Crotches.
Auction: World of Warcraft Server-Blade Auction to Benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
Follow-up: Seattle superhero not prosecuted.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2011, 09:18 Verno

Region restricted video is comedy gold, never has there been a bigger example of an industry just not getting what their consumers want.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2011, 16:11 Ant

crypto wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 20:27:
Big Bang clip is stupid region only... for the rest of the world
Bah, that one is cropped to pieces!!!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 20:27 crypto

Big Bang clip is stupid region only... for the rest of the world  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 20:16 Enahs

For me it is Laffy Taffy. All the other snacks I can go without. And I can absolutely not buy Laffy Taffy. But when there is Laffy Taffy around I can NOT stop eating it.

When I piss my friends off the buy me like 50 pieces of Laffy Taffy.
I can not throw it away either. So I eat it, all at once. By piece 15 my jaw is hurting but I keep going. I could kill my self with Laffy Taffy, easily.

I never buy or eat any other candy or junk food. Just does not appeal to me.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 19:55 ColoradoHoudini

"World of Warcraft Server-Blade Auction to Benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital."

Seems like a very useless and pointless item to own. Even when I was a hardcore WoW raider, I'd have no desire to own an empty, old server blade.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 18:21 Cutter

Hey! I was watching the Star Trek space hippy episode and just found out Charles Napier died last week (October 6th). Was that noted here or did everyone miss it? I always liked his work, but he ruled as the singing space hippy - of which I understand he actually wrote and performed those songs.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: the movie camera Oct 14, 2011, 18:12 Ruffiana

kanniballl wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 13:27:
Jim wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 13:22:
It always saddens me a bit to read about another long-established analog tech being relegated to the history books. While a small part of it is nostalgia, my biggest concern is that the more stuff we create on digital medium only, the more likely it becomes that it will be lost since there is no physical record of it. Hence I worry that we are heading towards an inevitable "Digital Library of Alexandria" scenario unless we can find ways to mass-archive a lot of this stuff.

Wasn't there a scene in the old Roller Ball film...

Like they completely digitized all of the libraries... and in one of the scenes with James Caan they said the master PC took a dump and permanently lost an entire era or category of History? I think the technician wrote it off as "oh well" but James Caan looked sad.

Technically, going digital means that unless something super-bad happens (like global EMP or Mad Max scenario) nothing should ever really be lost. Like a warehouse fire shouldn't (hopefully) lose the complete works of <something> assuming the people know how to properly backup off-site. Or for someone like Lucas to (cough) lose the original pre-CGI prints of Episodes IV - VI

On the other hand, digital is kind of a short-term medium. If all of humanity just died right now, those CDs/DVDs/HDDs would only last some years or decades. Then again, the cheap paper we use now probably wouldn't fair TOO much better.

I say we use more parchmanet for the important written works... or laser-etched stone/titanium/etc.

Digital is just a format, not a medium. You could just as easily encode vital digital work by laser etching it into titanium as something analogue.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 18:08 Ruffiana

I've always tought about having myself creamated, and my ashes pressed into charcoal sticks for artists to use to create artwork for a memorial service/gallery showing.  

20. Re: the movie camera Oct 14, 2011, 16:43 MajorD

It always saddens me a bit to read about another long-established analog tech being relegated to the history books. While a small part of it is nostalgia, my biggest concern is that the more stuff we create on digital medium only, the more likely it becomes that it will be lost since there is no physical record of it. Hence I worry that we are heading towards an inevitable "Digital Library of Alexandria" scenario unless we can find ways to mass-archive a lot of this stuff.

Great post Jim. I see this type of thing more and more, and have the same concerns, as everyone should. Some of the 'new' digital mediums are written to defy and deliberately contradict writings in our old history books, for whatever political and/or self-serving reason. So yes, it is ‘very’ important that some type of hardcopy archives are kept so all the original/tangible ‘consistent’ writings are not lost and replaced with new/digital erroneous writings.

I keep my old college hard copy history books, so when I come across anything contradictory, I have them to reference.

19. The Big Bang Theory - Brent Spiner: Mortal Enemy Oct 14, 2011, 13:44 kanniballl

That was a good episode of Big Bang Theory last night.

I was half-expecting another evil move by Wheaton, akin to the destruction during their bowling match.

Instead he decided to play the good guy, and Dat... er... Brent got to cheese it up.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: the movie camera Oct 14, 2011, 13:27 kanniballl

Wasn't there a scene in the old Roller Ball film...

Like they completely digitized all of the libraries... and in one of the scenes with James Caan they said the master PC took a dump and permanently lost an entire era or category of History? I think the technician wrote it off as "oh well" but James Caan looked sad.

Technically, going digital means that unless something super-bad happens (like global EMP or Mad Max scenario) nothing should ever really be lost. Like a warehouse fire shouldn't (hopefully) lose the complete works of <something> assuming the people know how to properly backup off-site. Or for someone like Lucas to (cough) lose the original pre-CGI prints of Episodes IV - VI

On the other hand, digital is kind of a short-term medium. If all of humanity just died right now, those CDs/DVDs/HDDs would only last some years or decades. Then again, the cheap paper we use now probably wouldn't fair TOO much better.

I say we use more parchmanet for the important written works... or laser-etched stone/titanium/etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2011, 13:40.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 13:23 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 12:30:
Oh, and Cadbury Egg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all

Yeh, I love those things too, but they're too rich for me now. So even around Easter (when they're everywhere) I only have like 2 total... like 1 on Easter and 1 the day after.

-Fry, Futurama

16. the movie camera Oct 14, 2011, 13:22 Jim

Jim

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 13:15 nin

rlknight66 wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 13:02:
It's only once a year, don't worry about it.

Yeah, I said that about girl scout cookies...

And then I bought like 15 boxes.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 13:02 rlknight66

It's only once a year, don't worry about it.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 12:47 Dades

Snickers bar represent.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 12:31 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 12:12:
I too, am a sucker for Kit Kats

I had one of those a few weeks ago, and had forgot how tasty they were...

mmmm. Reeses Pieces, KitKat, Snickers, Heath, Almond Joy. mmmmmm

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 12:30 PHJF

I've been trying to find Atomic Fireballs but none of the stupid fucking stores around here have them.

Oh, and Cadbury Egg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all

... Snickers and Caramello will suffice, though. In fact, anything based around caramel will suffice.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 12:30 xXBatmanXx

Steam outage? Numbers just tanked close to 1 million.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 12:16 Hoop

So misses Blue comes home from a hard days work to find you passed out on the couch in a sugar coma, candy wrappers stuck to a sugar crystalised beard fluttering to the sound of your snoring.

Um .. Behind you...

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo