Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 MP Map Details

Battleblog #13 on the Battlefield Blog outlines features of some multiplayer maps in Battlefield 3, DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. Designer Niklas Åstrand gives the lowdown on Operation Firestorm, Operation Metro, Tehran Highway, Damavand Peak, accompanied by screenshots of each. They promise a similar rundown on the remaining multiplayer maps from the game will be posted tomorrow.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 20:43 bigspender

DangerDog wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 14:22:
I half expect a mini-2142 expansion for BF3, much like what they did with Vietnam in BC2.

yes please

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 20:42 bigspender

re: joystick conversation.

my 360 wired control pad worked "out of the box" in the beta. Infact i was wondering why i was always walking slightly sideways until i realised the 360 control pad was plugged in and was upside down pushing the analog stick. So fiddled with it and all of the vehicles even work perfectly with it.

I think a HOTAS would be completely wasted on a battlefield game, you don't need the sensitivity and accuracy, you usually just want maximum turn rate at all times.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

16. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 14:22 DangerDog

deqer wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 10:17:
What about Battlefield 2142? I want to play BF2142 again. Those maps were great, and had great loading music. Also, Titan-mode.

We don't want to play BF3.

We didn't ask for another battlefield game.

I half expect a mini-2142 expansion for BF3, much like what they did with Vietnam in BC2.

15. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 12:21 Tumbler

I'm amazed at the marketing campaign for this game. I didn't think anyone could top the SWTOR nonsense...but then BF3 came along! Woohoo look at that E3 demo, this game is going to kick ass! And so far we've come all the way to canceling my pre-order and not even booting up the demo (beta) after the first night of trying it.

They've got a bit over a week still, I can't wait to see what they have planned! The gamestop ads on the episode of American Horror Story last night (on demand) talking about getting the physical warfare pack when you pre-order from gamestop were a great start! Finish strong DICE/EA! Let's hit this one out of the park. I would have preferred you hit the balls over the grand stands above ground but your idea works 2, once you drive those balls far enough into the ground it will be "out of the park" so I got to give you credit for trying something new!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 11:26 Teddy

What about Battlefield 2142? I want to play BF2142 again. Those maps were great, and had great loading music. Also, Titan-mode.

Yet another case of someone that doesn't realize he's not got the authority to speak for anyone else.

Speak for yourself, do NOT presume to speak for me or anyone else.

I for one absolutely do NOT want to play another 2142 type game.

13. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 10:19 Verno

Who is we? Plenty of people wanted a new BF game. I'm not sure this is the BF game they wanted exactly but that's a different story.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

12. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 10:17 deqer

11. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 07:45 eRe4s3r

Lets just hope that map makes sniping from that cliff difficult, because i can just see it, 10 guys sitting on the cliff, sniping 10 other guys sitting down below in bushes who are sniping the 10 guys on the cliff....

Someone once said that one good squad is what makes or breaks the games. And its true, a coordinated squad or simply guys working together in a half-assed way can win a game.

My worry though is this, smoke grenades, mortars and drones are very very far out in the unlock tree, new players will have an incredibly disadvantage, much more so than in BC2 when they join in a team with below rank 10's when the other team has level 30+ guys. I just hope server balancer is intelligent enough to balance the ranks as well because in the beta it sure as hell wasn't.

10. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 04:28 Rhett

I enjoyed Metro... I know it doesn't embody the game, but it was fun. I'm looking forward to playing it without all the bugs.

Boy, does base jumping sound FUN though.

"INCOMING!"

"FROM WHERE?!"

"EVERYWHERE, SIR!"

9. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 00:42 entr0py

This reinforces the suspicion that they choose the worst possible map and game type for the Alpha and Beta. Which is good, I don't think I'd be buying if operation metro represented the game.  

8. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 23:47 DangerDog

Last time I checked xbox controllers didn't have rudder controls, by him saying that if you have console controller support then that's the same as joystick support.

Well, good luck with that.

How much do you want to bet that they still don't recognize the mouse scrollwheel as having two separate axises, scrolling the wheel up will probably still cancel out the other bind if you assign the scroll wheel down to something.

I'm not saying the game won't be fun but it's just frustrating when they screw up on such small details.

7. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 22:35 Dades

It will be a high priority as soon as possible after shipping is becoming a design mantra for Dice it seems. If they won't confirm it this close to release then that's not very encouraging.  

6. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 22:27 Teddy

DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 21:42:
Krovven wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 21:38:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 21:25:
* No proper joystick support, though it's been promised for months.

Wait, what? I thought they confirmed months ago that it would?

I know the config screen is a disaster right now, but I'm expecting it, probably naively, to be sorted out come release.

Apparently by proper joystick support they thought everyone meant an xbox360 controller hooked up to your PC. Nope, it's on the list of things to "look at after release".

I can't help you with looking for a link to some tweet or interview, just don't expect your HOTAS setup to work at release.

Nice spin, pretty close to a blatant lie but not quite there. Keep trying.

What they ACTUALLY said was that they expect it to be ready, but the specific person that they spoke to said he'd been on the road for quite a while and couldn't guarantee it.

No one ever said anything about the xbox360 controller being supported but joysticks not. That's all you just making shit up.

Allow me:

GameSpy: The beta didn't work well with joysticks or control pads(emphasis added). What level of support for these devices will the game ship with? Will pilots be able to fly with a stick or pad?

Lars: It's something we're looking into. It looks like we will be able to ship with joystick support, but I've been on the road for quite some time so I can't guarantee it. But yes, if it doesn't turn up at launch, it will definitely be a high priority as soon as possible after shipping. The work being done to support joysticks is more or less the same as control pads, if you get one, you get the other. It's something we're aware of now that we've brought back the jets. It's on the list.

http://www.enterbf3.com/news/553-command-rose-voip-and-joysticks/

5. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 22:06 Hump

for PC theres plenty of 3rd party software to use that will allow joystick use in any game.

360-wise theres several companies that make joysticks for the platform.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 21:42 DangerDog

Krovven wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 21:38:

I know the config screen is a disaster right now, but I'm expecting it, probably naively, to be sorted out come release.

Apparently by proper joystick support they thought everyone meant an xbox360 controller hooked up to your PC. Nope, it's on the list of things to "look at after release".

I can't help you with looking for a link to some tweet or interview, just don't expect your HOTAS setup to work at release.

3. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 21:38 Krovven

2. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 21:25 DangerDog

Too bad they didn't take the little extra time to actually finish the game, at least on the PC we know it'll be missing a lot of stuff with their customary "we'll see after release if we can add X feature".

* Lack of in game VOIP controls, everything must be done through "Battlelog".
* No way to use a different name apart from your EAID/Origin login name & it's one soldier per account this time.
* Even the famous commo rose feature looks like it'll be AWOL at release.

Will they even have working beta drivers form ATI/Nvidia at release? RAGE was a huge failure in that regard.

1. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 21:20 eunichron

Operation Firestorm and Tehran Highway are looking pretty cool.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo