Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale

The Team Fortress 2 Website announces that the Steam Workshop is live, offering a new submission hub for community-created content. Word is this: "makes it easy for you to upload entries, check on their status and get feedback from us at Valve." Speaking of Team Fortress 2, they also announce that the Mann Store went live exactly one year ago to sell user-created items for the teamplay shooter, and that item creators have raked in more than $2,000,000 in that time. To celebrate this anniversary, they are having a Manniversary Sale, where "almost everything is on sale" between now and Monday.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 15, 2011, 15:25 Sepharo

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 06:16:
PS - Wasn't the game mode where you push the cart added after release? I don't remember it shipping with the game.

You're right, but it was very early on when people liked free updates.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 15, 2011, 06:16 theyarecomingforyou

Sepharo wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 22:07:
Comments like this are soo exaggerative. Yes there are a ton of items but that doesn't change the core gameplay at all. The classes still play their roles and they still counter each other and you still need to cap a flag, hold a point, or PUSH LITTLE CART!
I dunno, having your screen turn yellow because someone threw urine at you or going into the third person to see stars around your head because you've been hit by a baseball is pretty different to the game I bought all those years ago.

And the new interface took a bit of adjusting to, though I think it's an improvement. I also like the way that they've separated out the gamemodes based upon skill level and given it an easy to understand layout.

PS - Wasn't the game mode where you push the cart added after release? I don't remember it shipping with the game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 23:23 Frijoles

Sepharo wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 22:07:
Comments like this are soo exaggerative. Yes there are a ton of items but that doesn't change the core gameplay at all. The classes still play their roles and they still counter each other and you still need to cap a flag, hold a point, or PUSH LITTLE CART!

When you get in the game after being away for a while, and hear WTF music playing (I don't even remember what it was), seeing people running by with god knows what, and hearing BOINK as you start stumbling around, you kinda wonder if you've misclicked and gone to Toon Town instead of TF2.

13. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 22:07 Sepharo

Frijoles wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 21:26:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 18:36:
I like TF2 and still play it for short periods but I have absolutely no idea what's going on with items.

That's pretty much my issue with it. I can't play it anymore due to all the "stuff" that's going on in the game. It's like the Farmville of FPS games. There's a game in there somewhere, but there's a thousand little things you can buy/trade for.

12. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 21:26 Frijoles

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 18:36:
I like TF2 and still play it for short periods but I have absolutely no idea what's going on with items.

That's pretty much my issue with it. I can't play it anymore due to all the "stuff" that's going on in the game. It's like the Farmville of FPS games. There's a game in there somewhere, but there's a thousand little things you can buy/trade for.

But, at least it's being played. That means we'll hopefully get a TF3 some day, and then I can try to figure it out before all the items hit.

11. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 18:36 theyarecomingforyou

I like TF2 and still play it for short periods but I have absolutely no idea what's going on with items. All this talk of "crate keys" and "crafting" has gone completely over my head. All I know is that I get lots of people asking to trade for my items, usually the Deus Ex preorder stuff. Seems rather unnecessary to me but then if it allows them to provide the game for free and to share income with people designing new content then I'm not going to complain, even though the game is nothing like it was when I first bought it.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 12:46 xXBatmanXx

Frijoles wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 09:53:
Oh TF2, what have you become? A cheap whore on the corner peddling your wares?

I miss the original TF2.

same.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 12:32 PHJF

The patch just MADE store-bought items craftable, it was a PLANNED UPDATE. Then less than a day later than revoke that change???  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 09:53 Frijoles

Oh TF2, what have you become? A cheap whore on the corner peddling your wares?

I miss the original TF2.

7. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 07:44 DG

Items purchased from the store have never been craftable. This avoids accidentally turning something you've purchased into scrap - and avoids letting you buy something cheap in order to craft something expensive.

I bought some stuff when they first released it for the sake of trying it out (400 hours into this game, I don't mind volunteering a donation), of the 4 items I bought, 3 dropped in the following couple of weeks!

Crate key is only thing I'd consider buying. TBH, I'd like some unusual items. No idea why, it's completely stupid, somehow kinda fun anyway. Again I'd probably have a different viewpoint if I'd paid $60 for the game instead of 400 hours for next to nothing through the Orange Box.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2011, 07:51.

6. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 13, 2011, 23:36 PHJF

Wow and five minutes later... the second patch:

Items purchased from the store are no longer craftable.

WTF, valve?

5. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 13, 2011, 22:28 PHJF

The bad news is this update broke the game.

... and apparently they just fixed it again...

Man, they are fast with these updates.

Nope, scratch that, they didn't fix shit.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 23:28.

4. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 13, 2011, 22:02 PHJF

There's no reason to buy weapons because they're cheap to craft. There's no reason to buy hats because... they are hats.

To hat connoisseurs, though, there are good deals in here. The "starter" bundles are on sale at $1 a piece, bundles which include a hat and 2-3 weapons. Fancy Fedoras are also $.75 right now. So for $1.50 you can have a random hat, or for $2 you can have a random hat plus 6 weapons (one reclaimed metal, in other words). This is of course because of the new update allowing store-bought items to be crafted and, after a few days, traded. $1.50 for a random hat, to the type of person who cares about hats (I like hats but not enough to be paying for them), isn't a terrible deal in the scheme of things.

3. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 13, 2011, 21:51 Talisorn

I wonder if this can eventually be used to distribute addons for games like Skyrim?  

2. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 13, 2011, 21:34 Krovven

Yea I'm disappointed with the sale too. I will not ever buy that stuff at full price, but figured I'd consider it on some of the bundles if they were massively discounted on sale.

The crate key isn't even on sale. 50 cents and I'd buy a few, or make a bundle of 10 for $5 or something. $2.50 or whatever it is each, not gonna happen.

1. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 13, 2011, 21:19 Dev

Sale doesn't look that good to me. Its $100 for a big pack of the weapons for instance, instead of $133. Yeah big sale alright.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo