Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Syndicate Gameplay Trailer

The Syndicate Website now offers a new trailer (NSFW) from Syndicate, offering almost 11 minutes of gameplay from Starbreeze's upcoming first-person shooter remake of Syndicate (thanks VG247). The clip is narrated by EA's Jeff Gamon, the game's executive producer, who outlines the elements of the "executive search" mission it depicts from an early level of the game. Several gameplay elements are revealed along the way, including environments; the implanted chip that augments (for lack of a better term) your character with navigation, hacking, and psionic abilities; stealth; combat (both melee and shooting, with each weapon having an alternate fire mode); cover; gruesome chip harvesting; and more on-screen text than most web-browsers. The clip shows ample use of the "X" button, so it is probably from the Xbox 360 version.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 14, 2011, 16:28 Bumpy

Game itself looks to be decent fun ala Deus Ex 3 but I get zero Syndicate vib at all from the video.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 14, 2011, 12:13 Alamar

Fletch wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 11:13:
Not Syndicate. Looks boring, too. Wouldn't matter to me if it looked awesome, though. They wasted the Syndicate IP on a game that uses so little of it (except the name) it could have been called anything else and no one would have confused it with Syndicate. This isn't Syndicate. Fuck off, EA. Fuck off, Starbreeze. Not buying. And the rest of you drones who continue to purchase crap like this (and Rage, and X-Com, and Dragon Age 2, and From Dust, and Dungeon Siege 3, and Duke Nukem Forever, and Red Faction: Armageddon, et al) can fuck off as well. Companies will continue to produce PC shit as long as you fanboys and console monkeys keep buying it.

Damn, it's like some of you ADD kiddies grew up on a fricking XBox and just have NO CLUE what a good PC game can be. Just give you aim-assist, an over-the-shoulder third-person view, a lame cover system, insurmountable knee-high barriers to steer you through the map (which you'll likely have to navigate multiple times, with fresh new enemies every time), and you have every consolized piece of dreck released on the PC in the last 5 years. Lost Planet, the Just Cause's, the Dead Space's, Far Cry 2, the Halo's, etc... all games that could have been so much better on the PC.

Not exactly on topic... sorry. Had to vent, though.

I don't say this often, here, or anywhere, but... You're an idiot...

Simple truth: People have different tastes... : )

-Alamar

39. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 14, 2011, 11:13 Fletch

Not Syndicate. Looks boring, too. Wouldn't matter to me if it looked awesome, though. They wasted the Syndicate IP on a game that uses so little of it (except the name) it could have been called anything else and no one would have confused it with Syndicate. This isn't Syndicate. Fuck off, EA. Fuck off, Starbreeze. Not buying. And the rest of you drones who continue to purchase crap like this (and Rage, and X-Com, and Dragon Age 2, and From Dust, and Dungeon Siege 3, and Duke Nukem Forever, and Red Faction: Armageddon, et al) can fuck off as well. Companies will continue to produce PC shit as long as you fanboys and console monkeys keep buying it.

Damn, it's like some of you ADD kiddies grew up on a fricking XBox and just have NO CLUE what a good PC game can be. Just give you aim-assist, an over-the-shoulder third-person view, a lame cover system, insurmountable knee-high barriers to steer you through the map (which you'll likely have to navigate multiple times, with fresh new enemies every time), and you have every consolized piece of dreck released on the PC in the last 5 years. Lost Planet, the Just Cause's, the Dead Space's, Far Cry 2, the Halo's, etc... all games that could have been so much better on the PC.

Not exactly on topic... sorry. Had to vent, though.

38. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 14, 2011, 07:59 DG

Lorcin wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 19:36:
Oh and is there any reason why stuff like the original Syndicate couldn't be remade and released as a facebook game or cheap app? Ohhhh can see a really twisted Facebook version - imagine normal syndicate game play - but the civilians are all from your friends list!

Oh I'd be all "take my money" for the original with nothing more than a graphics update

37. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 14, 2011, 01:26 Jerykk

So, anyway, NotSyndicate looks kind of interesting. I do hope that there are varied ways to solve things though, quite often in Syndicate the kill 'em all approach wasn't even the most fun, never mind the most effective. Some missions were bloody hard then solved easily when on a whim I just wandered in with a persuadeatron. So more DX:HR I guess.

From what I saw, Syndicate looks to be a much more linear and scripted affair than DX:HR. I highly doubt you can sneak or talk your way through any of the missions. Seems like a straight-forward shooter with a hacking gimmick thrown in.

36. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 21:13 Dev

Lorcin wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 19:36:
Oh and is there any reason why stuff like the original Syndicate couldn't be remade and released as a facebook game or cheap app? Ohhhh can see a really twisted Facebook version - imagine normal syndicate game play - but the civilians are all from your friends list!
Interesting idea. I'd play a flash version of syndicate, I'd even pay a couple bucks for one.

35. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 20:33 Ray Marden

This looks interesting, but is much less original compared to DE. Further, the gameplay looks a bit to simplistic - you just breach everything you can see and bullets aim themselves. I came off like one giant "I'm cool, therefore I win" fest.

Definitely interesting, but it does not seem like an action packed shooter nor a deep stealth game. Just breach and blow. Also, the numerous HUD prompts felt tedious in a small video window; I could see those getting really annoying when full screen (great idea, but the should streamline it.)
It only reminds me of Syndicate in the crudest possible way.
Going to keep an eye on it,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

34. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 19:36 Lorcin

DG wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 18:04:
Still not Syndicate. If it's not isometric, an Executive controlling his minions via satellite link, it's not Syndicate.

Did you see Dungeons the (albeit unoffical) remake of another Bullfrog classic?

It didn't work - it had lost all the character, all the joy and looked very dated. No direct remake would work these days - give the Starbreeze guys a break, they HAD to completely remodel the gameplay.

Syndicate is 18 years old now - and it's current genre would be a squad based action/shooter ie Raindow Six, Brothers In Arms erm (I'm struggling here). Not huge sellers, nice games etc but never a topline franchise. Got to say I've never played them - if I was going to play one I guess I'd prefer a cyberpunk version but I can completely see EA going down the easy money FPS genre instead of the harder to market squads.

As for the agents having personalities once they decided to ditch the Executive mysteriously floating above the city there was no choice but to give the agents personality.

33. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 19:19 Cutter

Ray Ban wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 16:12:
Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 15:51:
It may be fun, however I'd still like to see a real Syndicate game get made.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/paradox-announce-cartel-interview/

I'm betting on that one.

Thanks for that, Ray. Sounds a lot more promising, but a definite wait-and-see is required.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 18:16 vrok

Why do they have personalities? Super lame and super not-Syndicate. The gameplay looks extremely slow paced.  

31. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 18:04 DG

Still not Syndicate. If it's not isometric, an Executive controlling his minions via satellite link, it's not Syndicate.

The cyberpunk theme, the violence and some references are the only thing Syndicate. The gameplay isn't. This is much more DX:HR. And yeah I can moan about it because I want another Syndicate.

So, anyway, NotSyndicate looks kind of interesting. I do hope that there are varied ways to solve things though, quite often in Syndicate the kill 'em all approach wasn't even the most fun, never mind the most effective. Some missions were bloody hard then solved easily when on a whim I just wandered in with a persuadeatron. So more DX:HR I guess.

"Research" seems to be based on finding things, which appear to give instant upgrades. I liked the original way where you spend money to direct specific research - finding things gave researching that item a boost. IIRC if you found an item and then didn't use it, you got a better research bonus? Or could choose to either use it for research or continue to use it, something like that.

Some of the features here seemed absurd. Breach seems rather OP and easy, maybe it's an early mission though, or tweaked for demonstration purposes. It makes no sense that an electronic signal has further range than weapons. Recharged by adrenaline, so you have to stay in the thick of the action? I guess it might work as a game mechanic, but, wat? I hope movement was slow in the trailer because for demonstration purposes he was holding the walk button or something.

So, a fairly generic FPS with RPG/unlock elements, set in the Syndicate universe. Might be OK. Hope the graphics are better on PC. Decided to keep an open mind; publishers can go jump for not doing a proper Syndicate game, but anyway might be a decent game.

But I'm not calling it Syndicate.

30. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 17:29 Dev

Everyone complaining about the violence and brutality... did you even play the original syndicate?
A small example of the PC version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9cZrlZTAs7U#t=41s
And the amiga version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh8iMo9FcBI&feature=player_detailpage#t=542s

I remember stuff like persuadatron hundreds of civilians, having them pick up all sorts of weapons dropped from dead agents or law, and sending them in as cannon fodder against miniguns and flamethrowers. Its not even remotely a kid friendly game.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 17:58.

29. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 17:27 Overon

PHJF wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 12:53:
Those have all pretty much been done, except AI which lacks for obvious technological reasons. But then again if you were playing a game wherein the hundreds of enemies were as powerful/intelligent as the single player character, how the fuck would anyone beat the game?
Well I would think the answer is obvious: Not have hundreds of enemies.

28. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 17:26 nin

So now that Cyberpunk is back maybe we can do System Shock 3?

Yeah, I'm kind of pleased with this sudden resurgence of cyberpunk.

Only real issue I see in the video is that the agents have too much personality, they should be zero personality automatons. Operatives were not in the loop, they were people dragged off of the street and modified to do as they were told...

I want to say I'd read somewhere earlier that these agents were supposed to be totally autonomous, but I don't recall where I saw that. So I'm not sure if they explain it in game, or if that's a slight wrinkle they've changed from the original game.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 17:20 Rhett

Looks interesting, but I'm thinking MP could be pretty neat. Gonna stay low on my radar, though, after playing DE:HR, since it seems so similar.  

26. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 17:20 Yosemite Sam

The violence is definatly Syndicate. Only real issue I see in the video is that the agents have too much personality, they should be zero personality automatons. Operatives were not in the loop, they were people dragged off of the street and modified to do as they were told... and they should be wearing trench coats It would be cool if they still went apeshit when thier implants overload... but I highly doubt this game will be syndicate in anything but name.

Heh, watching that vid I'm thinking didnt they texture that map yet... after playing RAGE I think alot of games are going to look bland.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

25. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 17:16 Halo

So now that Cyberpunk is back maybe we can do System Shock 3? This looks fun but as usual it's not exactly what I expected.  

24. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 17:05 nin

It looks interesting and Deus Ex like, but it seems like Deus Ex for people who thought Deus Ex was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard?

I can't help but think the syndicate team must have been kicking their own asses when they saw DXHR, knowing it was going to be out first.

Video looks good. This reminds me of DX not only for the art style, but because in both cases, I initially went in with extremely low expectations, and was then surprised it looked halfway decent.

Again, this is coming from someone who never played syndicate, so I can understand why fans of the original would be put off by this new representation.

edit: I'll also say it looks rather easy, so far...and I see it's prompting him to switch weapons, which I'm guessing means there's a weapon limit. Yuck.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 17:13.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 16:30 Zarkov

Overon wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 12:11:
Does any game have any original or even semi original ideas anymore?

I think there are plenty of original ideas out there. The problem is the same as were seeing with movies now - it's less risky to refurbish something that people are familiar with, than to try something brand new. The development cost of an AAA title is so large, that a complete sales failure closes the curtains on many game studios.

22. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 16:20 Lorcin

I know it's still got 4 months tuning etc but for me the gun models were a bit too prominent - especially the pistol.

Aside from that Riddick was an a really good game so willing to see how this pans out. I do agree with others though - a straight remake would be strange these days. Considering the original is 1993 a few months after Dune II (widely considered the first RTS) and everything that has followed, most people these days would look at a straight Syndicate remake and assume it was RTS.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo