Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Online Unveiled

The Cliffhanger Productions Newsletter reveals plans for Shadowrun Online, an upcoming browser-based MMOG from the folks behind Jagged Alliance Online, and according to Eurogamer, Shadowrun creator Jordan Weisman is involved in the project. The newsletter offers a screenshot from an "early prototype," and here's word on the game:

The game will feature two major parts – the action map, where you (and your friends) do missions from stealthily infiltrating a secret Renraku research facility to punching the lights out of a major Aztechnology outpost with guns blazing. Hacking, magic and gunfights are all part of that and will be done simultaneously (so nobody needs to go for pizza while your hacker battles Black ICE for two hours).

The second part will be the legwork and mission preparation. This will happen on a city overview map, where you can try and use your contacts, skills or resources to gain info on the mission goal, acquire blueprints, bribe guards or prepare the right soft or spell for your endeavor. This will be closer to rolling the dice on an action and getting a short narrated outcome. Each of those actions will cost action points (and if you want to get better odds you may want to spend more action points on a specific objective).

So if you don’t have the time for an extended session, you may just want to spend a couple of AP to prepare and make sure you get the most out of your mission when you actually want to tackle it.

Update: There's more detail in this FAQ (thanks Creston), including this: Question: "What can you tell us to scare away the evil spirit of the recent xbox 'shadowrun' game?" Answer: "it is nothing like the xbox game."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 14, 2011, 01:14 Tanto Edge

There's always these guys :
http://awakenedmmo.org
http://www.youtube.com/user/SRAdevelopment

Using UDK, been at it for a while.

I think it's great that there's more than one in development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 23:22 Creston

Ruffiana wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 17:48:

Why does it have to be in any universe? Why not a completely modular game that let the community flesh out their own genres, rulesets, art styles, etc.

Didn't they try that several times already? Wasn't Torgue one of those engines? For that matter, shit, the Q3 engine is readily available for use. It never really seems to lead to tons of great games, which does make sense. In order to take an engine and make a game from scratch, you need an entire developer studio, basically.

Whereas the cool thing about NWN was that if you knew some scripting, you could build fucking awesome adventures.

Hell, you could even monitize it. Let small groups work together to build a SR inspired kit and sell it through a marketplace for a few bucks with 10% going to the original "game" creators.

Again, much harder to get off the ground than building a toolset with pre-defined art and letting people build their own adventures.

Creston

21. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 18:46 Graham

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 12:34:
Soon as I saw Shadowrun Online my heart almost exploded out of my chest. Then I saw browser-based and my heart dropped. Is it too much to ask for a NWN style game based on Shadowrun where were can play co-op with some nice graphics and create and build our own missions?

Meh, I guess this is better than nothing. It depends on how annoyingly micro-transaction oriented it is and whether this thing plays out more like a virtual table-top.

Yes, it is too much. Because we can't have nice things.

20. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 17:48 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 13:47:
Is it too much to ask for a NWN style game based on Shadowrun where were can play co-op with some nice graphics and create and build our own missions?

I think there's just not enough money in the SR license to justify that type of an expense anymore, at least not in today's market. Sadly. An NWN style system in the SR universe might genuinely be the last game I'd ever buy.

Creston

Why does it have to be in any universe? Why not a completely modular game that let the community flesh out their own genres, rulesets, art styles, etc.

Hell, you could even monitize it. Let small groups work together to build a SR inspired kit and sell it through a marketplace for a few bucks with 10% going to the original "game" creators.

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 15:50:
I'd love to see Obsidian - now that Tim Cain is there - make a generic CRPG creator similar to NWN where you plug in universal PAKs to create modules based on games like Shadowrun, Paranoia, and Pathfinder. Something like that would do amazingly well because geeks from all over would use it for their particular flavour of PnP.

Er...yeah. What he said.

19. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 17:09 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 15:50:
I'd love to see Obsidian - now that Tim Cain is there - make a generic CRPG creator similar to NWN where you plug in universal PAKs to create modules based on games like Shadowrun, Paranoia, and Pathfinder. Something like that would do amazingly well because geeks from all over would use it for their particular flavour of PnP.

Paranoia has the potential to be the best online game ever, it's too bad nobody is doing anything with it. I mean, a game where you literally have all of the common multiplayer angles covered and explained by the setting. Respawn? Yup, clones. TK? HE WAS A SPY FOR THE COMMIES! Why the hell are we fighting over this toaster? The computer said to. The computer is your friend. Friends do what their friends tell them to, unless they are commie-mutant-traitors who deserve to die. You not a commie-mutant traitor, are you?

Think of the hysterical chaos in a game like that.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 16:19 Prez

Is this a Vista exclusive too?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 15:50 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 15:25 WyldKat

"browser based"

Oh...

15. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 14:52 saluk

At the very least I believe them when they claim they are fans of the license. There are no guarantees of course, but I remain cautiously optimistic.  

14. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 14:50 Fibrocyte

I have high hopes for this because I love Shadowrun. I'll reserve judgment until I've actually played the game.  

13. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 14:41 Lobster

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 13:47:
Is it too much to ask for a NWN style game based on Shadowrun where were can play co-op with some nice graphics and create and build our own missions?

I think there's just not enough money in the SR license to justify that type of an expense anymore, at least not in today's market. Sadly. An NWN style system in the SR universe might genuinely be the last game I'd ever buy.

Creston

There USED to be enough money in the SR license, but the squandered it.

12. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 14:40 Lobster

Yeah, since the last online-only Shadowrun turned out so great.  

11. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 14:18 Shagwood

I have begged ever since EQ and the MMO market looked promising...for a SR game...I mean...it's a RPG nerd dream come true IMO...Fantasy, Dragons, Guns, Tech, GOOD GRAVY!....and now that have I grown much older in that time period...and my MMO lust has faded....they bring out....this.....sad excuse. At least it isn't what MS did to that franchise...but still.  

10. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 13:47 Creston

Creston

9. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 13:39 Fion

SR is a fantastic PnP game with sadly only a small number of decent titles. This could be good, or like so many, it could piss on the name Shadowrun.  

8. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 13:11 Agent.X7

Love SR, and some of the old console games were fairly good, but ever sine FASA bit the bullet it doesn't seem like anybody can do the setting justice.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 12:49 JoeNapalm

I am skeptical, but this actually gives me some hope:

Quote from: primetide

We are not doing a full fledged client based MMO, I am afraid, as this would be beyond our meagre means and also almost all big client based futuristic RPGs have failed commercially, so it is a BIG risk. So it means our game will not be huge, shiny and it will not aim to build the 6th world brick by brick for you to experience. That being said, if anyone has 60 to 70 million dollars lying around unused looking for an investment opportunity, we are happy to reconsider.

Instead we intend to focus on the more tactical parts of the game and we will do a browser based game with small team gameplay (either alone or with others), more in the tradition of Baldur's Gate crossed with Jagged Alliance - with more firepower.

Not only referencing the Sixth World (implying they have at least SOME familiarity with the SR setting), but BG and JA? Might be a good sign...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

6. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 12:34 Cutter

Soon as I saw Shadowrun Online my heart almost exploded out of my chest. Then I saw browser-based and my heart dropped. Is it too much to ask for a NWN style game based on Shadowrun where were can play co-op with some nice graphics and create and build our own missions?

Meh, I guess this is better than nothing. It depends on how annoyingly micro-transaction oriented it is and whether this thing plays out more like a virtual table-top.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 11:30 Creston

Here's a much more extensive FAQ.

http://www.cliffhanger-productions.com/scripts/forum/index.php?topic=242.0

Creston

4. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 11:19 Beamer

From the JA Online guys.
JA Online will likely suck.

-------------
Music for the discerning: