Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Sonic Generations Confirmed; Will Use Steamworks

The SEGA Blog confirms the reveleation from yesterday of plans for a Windows PC edition of Sonic Generations, their platformer sequel, announcing that this will use Steamworks:

Itís been the best-kept secret* in gaming this year, but weíre delighted to (finally!) confirm that Sonic Generations will be released on PC and available via SEGAís partners for PC digital download in November this year. Sonic Generations is the ultimate celebration of 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog and sees SEGAís iconic mascot racing through a brand new adventure as both the much loved classic 1991 character, and the modern day video game hero he has become today.

Sonic Generations for PC digital includes Steamworks features such as Steam Cloud, which allows save files to be stored on Steamís servers so you can resume your game progress from any PC. As with the other console platforms, Sonic Generations will be available to play in full stereoscopic 3D and will contain Achievements and online leaderboards. The PC version will also support resolutions up to 1080p.

Sonic Generations will be available via PC digital download as well as Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 on November 1st in North America and November 4th in Europe. There will also be a boxed version of the PC version available only in Europe later in November.

*this is sarcasm.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: PC Sonic Generations Confirmed; Will Use Steamworks Oct 13, 2011, 04:28 ViRGE

InBlack wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 03:56:
ViRGE wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 22:27:
Please be 60fps. Please be 60fps.

What does that even mean? I mean ok with Rage you have an engine that changes detail levels dynamically to keep at a certain framerate but on the PC frame rates are generally not fixed or constant. Depending on your PC this game will either run at an acceptable framerate or it wont...
It's not a reference to Rage, it's a reference to Sonic. The old school Genesis games all ran at 60fps (well 60i, at any rate), whereas the newest games are all at 30fps. The difference being that in a twitchy game like Sonic, 60fps is notably smoother and easier to control.

Sega hasn't confirmed whether Generations will be 60fps or not. I'm hoping that it will be, or alternatively that it will be an easy hack to run it at 60fps like SWTFU. Because it's almost guaranteed that Sega will cap the frame rate at 30fps on the PC if that's what it runs at.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: PC Sonic Generations Confirmed; Will Use Steamworks Oct 12, 2011, 18:04 Lorcin

tony wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 09:34:
I'm sure there are dads that game on PC and would buy this game for their son/ daughter so their kids can game on PC as well.

That's kinda why my son has a Wii in his bedroom and we have a PS3 in the lounge. At 9 his actually got no interest in this latest sonic - but is only just getting old enough to be trusted on my PC. Why is it small boys can't sit still and play - they always have to jump up and down, spin on chairs crashing them into the tower, walk away with the headset still on their head etc etc. It's not just my son - it's all his mates too, on a console it's hilarious - especially when they start jumping up and down and kicking without realising. Strangely never seen a girl do it (my 2 or their friends).

6. Re: PC Sonic Generations Confirmed; Will Use Steamworks Oct 12, 2011, 09:34 tony

Lorcin wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 05:11:
Like it matters - surely if your able to update a gfx drivers you've outgrown Sonic. I have the original couple on emulators on a couple of different systems - that's more than enough in case I wake up drenched in sweat thinking "I MUST PLAY SONIC".

I can't really see this getting many sales.

I'm sure there are dads that game on PC and would buy this game for their son/ daughter so their kids can game on PC as well.

5. Re: PC Sonic Generations Confirmed; Will Use Steamworks Oct 12, 2011, 05:11 Lorcin

Like it matters - surely if your able to update a gfx drivers you've outgrown Sonic. I have the original couple on emulators on a couple of different systems - that's more than enough in case I wake up drenched in sweat thinking "I MUST PLAY SONIC".

I can't really see this getting many sales.

4. Re: PC Sonic Generations Confirmed; Will Use Steamworks Oct 12, 2011, 04:00 Jerykk

There's always the unfortunate possibility that they lock the framerate at 30 FPS. I suspect this will be a rather half-assed port.  

3. Re: PC Sonic Generations Confirmed; Will Use Steamworks Oct 12, 2011, 03:56 InBlack

ViRGE wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 22:27:

What does that even mean? I mean ok with Rage you have an engine that changes detail levels dynamically to keep at a certain framerate but on the PC frame rates are generally not fixed or constant. Depending on your PC this game will either run at an acceptable framerate or it wont...

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: PC Sonic Generations Confirmed; Will Use Steamworks Oct 11, 2011, 22:27 ViRGE

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo