Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins

BioWare now offers the new Mark of the Assassin DLC for Dragon Age II, BioWare's RPG sequel. Word is: "In this gripping new story, Hawke is joined by a mysterious elf assassin, Tallis. Voiced by none other than actress Felicia Day, this new party member comes complete with her own unique combat style and intriguing back story. With Tallis at your side, you must Infiltrate an Orlesian estate outside Kirkwall and steal a precious relic. Along the way, you will uncover an array of impressive weapons and equipment, and confront fearsome and challenging new enemies on your journey to claim the Heart of the Many." They are also offering a social media contest in cooperation with the aforementioned Felicia Day, and also now offer Episode 1 of Dragon Age: Redemption - Tallis, kicking off the promised web-series based on the DLC and the game.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 13, 2011, 08:57 Verno

Hah. Doesn't seem to make any sense to me. You said nothing substantial about the game, your opinion references nothing and the game is called Dragon Age II which would make it a sequel to the first game. Bioware's heart was frequently in the wrong place judging by their failure to listen to feedback repeatedly during the development process when they kept unveiling features that people didn't want. Was their heart in the right place when they agreed to make a repetitive slog with poor game mechanics in a short period of time? I would hope not. Say you like the game if you want but silly stuff like "backwards innovation" is just fluffy apologist.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 09:18.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 19:59 Dirwulf

I'm a masochist. You know I've stated several times I liked DAII. I'm wearing brass underwear today.

And I still like DAII.

I doubt I'll buy this DLC right now, but you know, when its on sale for $1.

I never looked at DAII as a sequel. I looked at it as the next game in the series. I'm not sure that makes sense to some of you, who seem to expect sequels to have no innovation, backwards or forwards, and just want the same thing all the time. I know there is no such thing as backward innovation, but sometimes your heart is in the right place but what comes out in the end isn't exactly the way you thought it would be.

I still had a blast with the game.

25. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 15:30 saluk

Yeah, this, um, wasn't good. I'm a huge Felicia fan, will probably watch the rest of it, but I will be watching it through tears.  

24. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 12:45 wonkawonka

I agree that ME2 ran perfectly well technically, but UI-wise it was pure consolitis.
Note to devs: For consoles, use choice wheels. For PCs, use numbered lists.

There. Not so hard, was it?

23. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 09:51 Ecthelion

I agree about the ME2 port. It ran, and the performance was good, but it didn't seem that much was done to make it a good PC experience. One non-gameplay example would be the DLC/update process. In DAO, that was all handled in-game through an integrated updater system. But in ME2, you had to download all the DLC individually, and install them out of the game. I realize that some PC gamers prefer to do things manually like that, but the fact that they didn't bother to carry the integrated update system from DAO over to ME2 tells me that the PC version of ME2 got less attention than DAO did.

Then there are the UI issues, as have already been mentioned.

22. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 09:00 Verno

Lobster wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 08:54:

OK, so let me get this straight.

Mass Effect 2 is one of the worst PC ports you've seen in a long time because it worked, and Mass Effect 1 is one of the best because it didn't?

I'm not sure you know what words mean.

I'm not sure how you managed to quote my entire post but somehow failed to read it. There is more to porting a game other than making sure it runs. You can make a great port that has technical flaws and you can make a well QA'd port that has a terrible user interface and other such frustrations.

This is even more frustrating when the ported title is developed primarily for the consoles. It doesn't take much in the way of some small changes to accommodate the PC platform but many companies do not bother despite the fact that they continue to sell and profit on PC games.

21. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 08:54 Lobster

Verno wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 08:35:
Those were bad but I have to agree with Jerykk, Mass Effect 2 is one of the worst ports I've seen in a long time. The only reason it didn't get more shit from players is because its A) Mass Effect and B) its stable. Everything from the UI to the AWESOME BUTAN philosophy of interaction was very poorly done. In contrast Mass Effect 1 was a very good PC port overall but had serious technical problems rooted in DRM and a lack of Q/A that make people think poorly of it.

OK, so let me get this straight.

Mass Effect 2 is one of the worst PC ports you've seen in a long time because it worked, and Mass Effect 1 is one of the best because it didn't?

I'm not sure you know what words mean.

20. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 08:52 Lobster

"OK guys, we managed to alienate our core audience while failing to appeal to a new audience. People are angry. What do we do? What do nerds like these days?"
"...F... Felicia Day?"
"DO IT!!!"

19. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 08:35 Verno

Those were bad but I have to agree with Jerykk, Mass Effect 2 is one of the worst ports I've seen in a long time. The only reason it didn't get more shit from players is because its A) Mass Effect and B) its stable. Everything from the UI to the AWESOME BUTAN philosophy of interaction was very poorly done. In contrast Mass Effect 1 was a very good PC port overall but had serious technical problems rooted in DRM and a lack of Q/A that make people think poorly of it.  

18. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 06:18 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 04:53:
Huh? ME2 was the weakest port they've done in a long time. They barely redesigned anything for the port, the text was huge and there was a lot of redundant clicking in the menus. They UI remained mostly unchanged from the console versions.
KotoR 1 & 2 anyone? Horrible, horrible inventory management and user interface, straight from the console without any improvements or adjustments to the possibilities of mouse/keyboard. Excellent games, but lazy ports they were.

17. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 06:08 wonkawonka

My god, this is so bad.
I haven't seen any "professional" video this bad in a long time.
Well I mean "seen" as in: click to about 1:00 to skip the bullshit, see dark stuff. click to about 3:00, horrible special effects. click to around 3/4 and see how pathetic the actors are, the scenery and the filming, give up.

16. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 04:53 Jerykk

I'll reload DA, it's been quite awhile since my last play through. I remember console GUI issues among other things, which most of the PC community modded out. I think Nexus has made a career/industry of supplying mods for PC gamers fixing oonsolitis.

You'll have to be more specific. DAO PC had a completely different UI than the console versions. There was nothing console-centric about it whatsoever. Hell, the PC version was finished about 10 months before it was actually released due to EA wanting a simultaneous release on all platforms (the console ports hadn't even been started yet).

Jade Empire has port issues and so did ME, ME2 much less so and probably the best port to date.

Huh? ME2 was the weakest port they've done in a long time. They barely redesigned anything for the port, the text was huge and there was a lot of redundant clicking in the menus. They UI remained mostly unchanged from the console versions. The same can't be said for Jade Empire or ME1. Jade Empire added higher-res textures, new lighting and particle effects, new fighting stances, balance tweaks and new enemies. ME1 PC completely redesigned the UI and even added the ability to order your squadmates to move to specific positions, a feature that was missing from the X360 version.

I agree that Bioware's games would be better if they were PC-exclusives. I think that would be true of all games. However, DAO was not affected by consolitis whatsoever and Bioware's ports have been great or at the very least, above-average.

15. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 04:42 Acleacius

I'm not saying DA or DX3 were bad, nor DX3 was PC only, just better without the console title dragging them down. When DX3 was originally announced as PC design based. Then after about a year or two they came back and said, it was changed to console.

It seems clear to me at least the way the GUI works in DX3. There are Hitbox areas for the mouse SO Small, you might not even know they are there. Animations and facial expressions are at least six years old.

I'll reload DA, it's been quite awhile since my last play through. I remember console GUI issues among other things, which most of the PC community modded out. I think Nexus has made a career/industry of supplying mods for PC gamers fixing oonsolitis.

I've had problems with several of Biware's ports, even their first KotOR you can't set your mouse keys. Jade Empire has port issues and so did ME. ME2 much less so and probably the best port to date. They are playable but they are making the game design based on the weakest link, then trying to bandage it to PC.

It's laughably ironic to think Bioware believes it has gameplay down so well it added Coop to ME3. I truly hope they are right but, we can't even jump in ME or ME2. Aiming is so RETARED (I mean in physics form) we can't move our mouse while standing as you can in most (all?) FPSs. You are forced into cover to have Normal Mouse Movement speed. Luckily like many other PC games these things can be modded out.

It might be I just suck at explaining it at 3am.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 04:30 The Half Elf

I will say Bioware kept to their word about Dragon Age Origins and made a great game in the vein of Baulder's Gate/Neverwinter Nights. But Dragon Age 2 is another beast, designed first and foremost for action and the consoles.

Honestly I was happy DA:O, and aspects of DA 2, but Dragon Age 2 should have been renamed Dragon Age: Kirkwall or Adventures of Hawk, or SOMETHING besides Dragon Age 2.

What I did like about Dragon Age 2? I like playing a character with a voice, like Hawk or Shepard, not some mute. I actually liked the combat over Origins, as other classes besides Mages could be useful. I enjoyed the companions and how far you could go with them. I really liked the update on the Qunari and wish they'd figure a way to update Origins.
What did I hate? Endless waves of baddies popping out of the sky. 6 tilesets used OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER. Best part of any game is going to NEW places and seeing NEW things, not Room 6, configuration 22a.

That all being said, would I buy the next Dragon Age game? Probably, but I'll be waiting for alot of honest reviews before taking a look at it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 04:01 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 03:53:
As for DX:HR, I don't recall them ever saying that the game would be PC-exclusive. I vaguely recall them claiming PC was the lead SKU, which was a lie, but the final product ended up being a worthy entry into the series anyway, unlike DX2.

The only thing I remember them saying in regards to the PC release is they realize that some attention needs to be given to the PC release that the console releases don't. I think they did a fine job. I also remember seeing some videos with the dev discussing PC features as well, so clearly it was something they put some thought into. After DX2 I'm sure they were concerned with making sure they didn't have the same issues DX2 had, and wanted to assure it's potential customers as well

12. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 03:53 Draugr

Acleacius wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 03:21:
That maybe true, though I feel like *Port* is an afterthought. After thinking about the development of DA. I recall them starting the game description with PC DESIGNED GAME, but by the end it was clear (at least to me) the hype slowly started changing to consoles. Remember near the end of development all those videos with the nonstop action, nothing was really about PC RPG interests, it was to attract console gamers.

Same thing happened to DX3, they started off saying PC only. Then in the end, it was clear PC version was the Port (afterthought).

Just saying the games could be better with less cost. It's poor management of resources, marketing and gameplay features. The worst part is they are throwing away this money and fan good will for *perception*. The perception that consoles are as good as PC.

Oh and m$ funding (remember those billions of dollars m$ is willing to throwaway lose to make their console mandatory viable?) which requires consoles be the lead platform.

DA:O had a seperate SKU for PC, I don't know how much more clearly that could be made. I've certainly had no issue with the way Bioware handles their PC releases. DX:HR was also well done on the PC, I had no issues or complaints (that come to mind, I could be missing something.) DA2 wasn't worked on separately, and certainly has things going against it, but a bad PC release isn't on the list for me, in that regard it has little issue.
It's not odd at all to see the marketing geared more towards the console market, there is more money to be made there.

To me, the issue I have is not with the PC releases, but just bad work we have seen from them lately, hopefully its an issue that rests more with the DA team itself, the ME series seems to be doing okay (I would have liked ME2 to be more RPG/exploration heavy, basically I wanted it to be more like ME1, but it's still not a bad game, it looks like I'll say the same thing of ME3.)

11. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 03:53 Jerykk

I recall them starting the game description with PC DESIGNED GAME, but by the end it was clear (at least to me) the hype slowly started changing to consoles. Remember near the end of development all those videos with the nonstop action, nothing was really about PC RPG interests, it was to attract console gamers.

Not really sure what you're talking about. Everything about DAO screamed "PC Game." The camera, the controls, the UI, the dialogue trees, the silent protagonist, the character customization, etc. Sure, there was a lot of combat, but every Bioware game has a lot of combat (including BG1&2 and NWN, all PC-exclusives). And yes, marketing focused primarily on sex & violence, which isn't really surprising. Marketing focuses on those things for just about every videogame, regardless of genre. You can't really convey morally ambiguous choices and meaningful long-term consequences in a 30 second trailer.

As for DX:HR, I don't recall them ever saying that the game would be PC-exclusive. I vaguely recall them claiming PC was the lead SKU, which was a lie, but the final product ended up being a worthy entry into the series anyway, unlike DX2.

10. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 03:21 Acleacius

That maybe true, though I feel like *Port* is an afterthought. After thinking about the development of DA. I recall them starting the game description with PC DESIGNED GAME, but by the end it was clear (at least to me) the hype slowly started changing to consoles. Remember near the end of development all those videos with the nonstop action, nothing was really about PC RPG interests, it was to attract console gamers.

Same thing happened to DX3, they started off saying PC only. Then in the end, it was clear PC version was the Port (afterthought).

Just saying the games could be better with less cost. It's poor management of resources, marketing and gameplay features. The worst part is they are throwing away this money and fan good will for *perception*. The perception that consoles are as good as PC.

Oh and m$ funding (remember those billions of dollars m$ is willing to throwaway lose to make their console mandatory viable?) which requires consoles be the lead platform.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 02:39 Jerykk

In regards to Bioware, PC has been an after thought to Bioware for the last 10 years. EXCEPT in marketing, where headlines are written for PC gamers like they're blowjobs.

That's not entirely true. They've put a lot of effort into their ports, usually redesigning the UI, adjusting the balance, adding new difficulty modes and features, etc. And Dragon Age Origins wasn't a port, it was designed for the PC first and foremost. PC may not be the lead SKU for most of their titles but it's not just an afterthought.

8. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 02:30 Acleacius

Hope this works out well for Felicia!

In regards to Bioware, PC has been an after thought to Bioware for the last 10 years. EXCEPT in marketing, where headlines are written for PC gamers like they're blowjobs.

This is one of those moments where you don't know whether to laugh or cry. When ea hostility overthrew Bioware they added the Clause to dissolve the company if they have poor sales, just like Pandemic.

How does ea Austin and ea Alberta sound? Sigh. Wall

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo