Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Real Money Trading

Blizzard has introduced a method for trading real cash for World of Warcraft gold, albeit in a roundabout way. As noted on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, a new Guardian Cub is to be offered as a cosmetic pet in the MMORPG, but unlike similar items in the game, this does not bind to your account unless you choose to use it, meaning you can buy it for cash and trade it or sell it at the auction house for whatever amount of gold it will bring. In the related FAQ, they say they are comfortable with the economic implications of all this:

While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection, we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services. However, please keep in mind that there's never any guarantee that someone will purchase what you put up for sale in the auction house, or how much they'll pay for it. Also, it’s important to note that we take a firm stance against buying gold from outside sources because in most cases, the gold these companies offer has been stolen from compromised accounts. (You can read more about our stance here.) While some players might be able to acquire some extra gold by putting the Guardian Cub in the auction house, that’s preferable to players contributing to the gold-selling “black market” and account theft.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 17:33 Ruffiana

Luke wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 18:19:

If people wan to waste real money on virtual items that's their bidness

And that's what makes game companies doing it , peps "well if they want to spend real money let them statement"

Give them a little finger and they rip your arm off

It's entertainment. No different than spending money on movies, television, booze, drugs, or strippers.

Still, without a way of converting said digital item back into real-world currency...there's no RMT. Gold-farmers aren't going to work for a supply of virtual pets, and why pay real money for something on the auction house when you can buy it for real money directly from the source.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2011, 17:41.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 14:37 Dev

Nighthawk wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 05:37:
Anyone else finding blizzard is coming more or a cash wh___ than EA?
It makes more sense to think of it as activision's fault. Every since they bought blizzard, blizzard has been going down a slippery slope. The changes to their games started small and didn't change gameplay, now they are changing gameplay with big changes that inconvenience customers (such as no offline single player mode in d3) to try and get more money.

20. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 08:38 InBlack

Im surprised how many are jumping on the "Virtual items for Real Money boohooo" bandwagon, when these kinds of transactions have been going on the internet black market since well basically since, Diablo 2.

People have been selling items, accounts, gold, whatever. But since its under "the counter" I guess its ok for most people.

What Blizzard are trying to do is control that market, I dont understand how that can be a negative thing. If you want to trade virtual items now in Diablo 2, WoW or whatever game, YOU CAN ALREADY DO THAT, or you can choose not to. Nothing will change with the addition of a real money auctionhouse, except that now you can do it legaly, Blizzard gets a cut and Chinese gold farmers get screwed out of a lucrative business.

Its like the internet equivalent of legalising drugs, of course its not popular, but to argue that its somehow immoral or stupid is rediculous...

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 05:37 Nighthawk

I've been gladly WoW free since just after...firelands came out.
Diablo 3's real money auction house helped remove blizzard off my gaming radar and seeing this is wow is no surprise.

Anyone else finding blizzard is coming more or a cash wh___ than EA?

18. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 05:08 Lorcin

I always thought of it more that the armour had to reshape itself to fit you - and that it could only do it once. For instance Tauren trousers won't fit a Goblin.

17. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 04:07 InBlack

Kobalt wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 00:44:
Fion wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 18:03:
Don't get me started in Binding. I've been fighting against it since the idea was introduced in EQ and became mainstream with WoW.

If you have a better idea let's hear it. No binding is ok in games where items didn't matter that much(asheron's call). Or games where there's little to no crafting(everquest). It's funny, everquest 2 and wow got released pretty close together, and eq2 had very little gear that bound to you. They had to change it because people would buy crafted gear, and when they got better, put their old armor on the ah. Of course this led to crafted stuff going for less then it cost to make. Pretty big deal in a game that put a lot of focus on crafting.

Diablo 2. (and soon 3) You lose Kobalt.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 00:44 Kobalt

Don't get me started in Binding. I've been fighting against it since the idea was introduced in EQ and became mainstream with WoW.

If you have a better idea let's hear it. No binding is ok in games where items didn't matter that much(asheron's call). Or games where there's little to no crafting(everquest). It's funny, everquest 2 and wow got released pretty close together, and eq2 had very little gear that bound to you. They had to change it because people would buy crafted gear, and when they got better, put their old armor on the ah. Of course this led to crafted stuff going for less then it cost to make. Pretty big deal in a game that put a lot of focus on crafting.

15. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 23:16 Frijoles

Asheron's Call did it right. I loved going to the vendors to find random stuff that other people discarded. Or finding their bags in the woods and stealing them.

14. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 19:26 Cutter

Luke wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 18:19:

And that's what makes game companies doing it , peps "well if they want to spend real money let them statement"

Not at all. Value is relative. People spend 100+ million dollars on a painting. And what is it? Some canvas and coloured oils? We all "waste" money on all kinds of dumb shit, but so long as it makes you happy, go for it. It's your money to "waste". Being in the resto bidness I waste far too much money on food and drink I could easily do at home but the social aspect makes the tradeoff worthwhile. Hell, my record is one time my brother and I went to a bistro for a nice lunch and dropped $700 on a bit of food and 2 good bottles of wine. We're not rich and it was silly, but it was an amazing day and I'll never regret it. So if someone wants to spend $100 on some thing that makes them happy, let them. Life is way to short to die with money in the bank.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 19:21 Talisorn

Blizz should just do what CCP does and sell tradable game time. It's an infinite market and will break the backs of the gold sellers.

And their path to the Dark Side will be complete. MWHAHAHAHAHA!

12. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 18:20 Luke

nin wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 18:07:
And bliz continues down the slippery slope...

together with those who say YES to everything............

11. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 18:19 Luke

10. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 18:07 nin

And bliz continues down the slippery slope...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 18:03 Fion

PHJF wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 17:53:
Binding was the stupidest fucking thing WoW ever did (I don't do MMOs so I have no idea if this was the norm prior). The idea that all your equipment becomes worthless as soon as you find something better is a completely arbitrary way of normalizing a virtual economy

Don't get me started in Binding. I've been fighting against it since the idea was introduced in EQ and became mainstream with WoW. I can understand if some of the top stuff in a game is bound, but when everything is bound it's little more than a bandaid over a gaping wound.

8. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 17:58 Fion

So wait.. you can buy this pet for real money and then try and sell it on the in game AH for in game gold 'or' real money? Do they expect the idiots will try and charge more for it in game than it can be bough for in the bliz store?

It seems to me they are doing everything they can to make sure the system isn't circular. So that you can spend real money but you cant 'make' real money. I wouldn't doubt that if you sell on a RMAH your winnings is converted to in game money.. minus the chunk that Bli$$ard takes as their cut.

7. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 17:56 Fion

If you didn't see this coming a mile away you are a blind man.  

6. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 17:53 PHJF

Binding was the stupidest fucking thing WoW ever did (I don't do MMOs so I have no idea if this was the norm prior). The idea that all your equipment becomes worthless as soon as you find something better is a completely arbitrary way of normalizing a virtual economy  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 17:51 Cutter

If people wan to waste real money on virtual items that's their bidness. It just seems to me that this kind of late in the game to be doing this because I'm guessing WoW must really be moving into decline at this point. I noticed they haven't publically stated their sub numbers in a long time. I just can't understand why anyone would be playing at this point. Even if it's a social thing there are million F2P mmos where you can do that and it won't cost you anything for a graphical chat room.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 17:47 Frijoles

If you have to buy gold in WoW, you're not doing it right. Go do some dailies.  

3. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 11, 2011, 17:43 Endo

Ok, I get how this could let you buy some in-game gold with real money, but how can you do the inverse?

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo