Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I am still only semi-recovered from all the food we consumed over the weekend. We had guests staying with us last week which tends to provoke a lot of eating out to start with, and we capped the over-indulgence with a big cookout on Saturday. You hear advertisements all spring about getting back into beach shape, I guess we simply did the converse, and kicked off the fall with an effort at getting back into couch shape.

Shapely Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Kick the Block.
Ad Bellvm.
Links: What You Think You Sound Like Online vs. What You Actually Sound Like Online.
Stories: Row over photo in shopping centre. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: 20 Things You Didn't Know About... Fire. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Evan Van Der Spuy, South African Cyclist, Hit By Antelope While Mountain Biking.
Real-Life Superhero Arrest of the Day.
Woz's $2 bill sheets. Crazy like a fox.... that's crazy.
Auction: Nicolas Cage's Action Comics #1 To Become The First $2,000,000 Comic? Thanks TDW Geeks.
The Funnies: Humorous Tweets.
If my brain was an imaginary friend - The Oatmeal.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2011, 11:18  Blue 

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 21:54:
I have some sheets myself. I also have a bicentennial $2 bill.

Woz is purposely being misleading in the video, if you read the link I posted from his site you can tell that "being misleading" is apparently a hobby of his

Yeah, now that I read that it's obvious he's just messing with people. It's not hard to imagine a stoner millionaire from the early days of silicon valley would be such a prankster. It's almost harder to imagine that more of them don't spend their time like this.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2011, 04:09 Dmitri_M

Was in London for a weekend recently. Pouring with rain I had the hood of my jacket up. Stepped into the entrance of a public art gallery with a crowd of other people avoiding the rain. Security guard instantly came over and told me to pull the hood back. Guess the CCTV camera couldn't see my face.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 22:00 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 21:54:
Woz is purposely being misleading in the video, if you read the link I posted from his site you can tell that "being misleading" is apparently a hobby of his
Yep, although that higher quality printer he mentions where he gets his supplies? That's the US mint

He HAS gotten questioned by police and SS for having the $2 bills on the sheets though. A random store will think its weird and call police who will hold him for hours while they call the SS. The SS laughs about it and lets him go. So if you try something like this, no matter how legal it is, be prepared to be inconvenienced at times.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 21:54 Sepharo

I have some sheets myself. I also have a bicentennial $2 bill.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 21:48 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 19:19:
Possibly because of the interviewer, I was a little confused as to how Woz was "printing" 2 dollar bills. After reading this though it's clear that what he actually does is cut up the sheets of legit $2's and uses his machine to perforate them and bind them in the notebook.
Yeah you can buy sheets of $2's and other denominations directly from the treasury website (or at least you used to be able to), you'll pay a premium for them though.
IMHO, easier to just walk into your bank and ask them for $2's if you want to give them as tips or whatever. I know there was a 2004 run of them, dunno if there was any print runs more recent.

Edit, Googling for:
$2 sheets
turns up the appropriate links. Looks like they are OOS on the $2 sheets, but they have $1 sheets (at a crazy 200% markup) and other denominations (the $50 sheets are "only" about 12% markup).

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2011, 21:59.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 19:57 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 19:42:

Some guy standing out front of your house taking pictures - whilst is his right - is an entirely different matter. Soemone taking shots of a secured facility like a nuclear plant is another still. However, someone taking pictures in a quasi-public place such as a mall is the height of rampant paranoia. The staff from the ice-cream became suspicious? Yeah, because families never go to malls or take pictures of their kids doing shit like enjoying ice cream. It's no wonder these idiots work in an ice-cream shop in a mall in the first place! Like some terrorist is going to walk in by himself dressed like a muslim going to Haj taking pictures of strategic places to plant a bomb and muttering "Alluh Akbar" all the while. It just boggles the fucking mind.

Couple that with the fact that Britain is pretty much and Orwellian nightmare as it is with CCTV covering cities top to bottom and all I can say is I'm glad I don't live there, and I don't want that sort of shit ending up here. Ben Franklin was right on what he said then and it goes doubly so now.

Oh I know it, every few months a story like this would come up. I recall closer to 2001 security at some malls and such actually confiscated and/or destroyed phones. Way overboard. I *think* I even recall a story involving a flippin public park or something.

Meanwhile, some posts under the news story say there aren't any signs (though take that with a grain of salt).

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 19:42 Cutter

kanniballl wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 18:16:
Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 14:27:
Father can't take a picture of his child enjoying some ice-cream because of a bunch of paranoid morons? And some people wonder why I have near zero faith in humanity. George Orwell must be laughing his ass off right now.

When I read the title, I figured it was because they were afraid he was a pedo or something.

But it turned out it was because he was being "dangerous to security." Really?

If a psycho-bomber (or a terrorist) was scoping out the place he'd (A) be more covert and (B) not rely on photos but sketches / approx measurements / blueprints / etc.

Then again, I'd probably get annoyed if some guy was standing on the street in front of my house continuously taking pictures of my house... but that's another matter.

Some guy standing out front of your house taking pictures - whilst is his right - is an entirely different matter. Soemone taking shots of a secured facility like a nuclear plant is another still. However, someone taking pictures in a quasi-public place such as a mall is the height of rampant paranoia. The staff from the ice-cream became suspicious? Yeah, because families never go to malls or take pictures of their kids doing shit like enjoying ice cream. It's no wonder these idiots work in an ice-cream shop in a mall in the first place! Like some terrorist is going to walk in by himself dressed like a muslim going to Haj taking pictures of strategic places to plant a bomb and muttering "Alluh Akbar" all the while. It just boggles the fucking mind.

Couple that with the fact that Britain is pretty much and Orwellian nightmare as it is with CCTV covering cities top to bottom and all I can say is I'm glad I don't live there, and I don't want that sort of shit ending up here. Ben Franklin was right on what he said then and it goes doubly so now.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 19:19 Sepharo

Possibly because of the interviewer, I was a little confused as to how Woz was "printing" 2 dollar bills. After reading this though it's clear that what he actually does is cut up the sheets of legit $2's and uses his machine to perforate them and bind them in the notebook.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 18:16 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 14:27:
Father can't take a picture of his child enjoying some ice-cream because of a bunch of paranoid morons? And some people wonder why I have near zero faith in humanity. George Orwell must be laughing his ass off right now.

When I read the title, I figured it was because they were afraid he was a pedo or something.

But it turned out it was because he was being "dangerous to security." Really?

If a psycho-bomber (or a terrorist) was scoping out the place he'd (A) be more covert and (B) not rely on photos but sketches / approx measurements / blueprints / etc.

Then again, I'd probably get annoyed if some guy was standing on the street in front of my house continuously taking pictures of my house... but that's another matter.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 16:13 Dmitri_M

A fellow South African mailed me that cyclist video last night. Thing was sitting at 200 views. Right now it's at 2+ million. Yes I am still amused by the viral nature of the internet even though I shouldn't be having been on the internet since the 90s...  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 14:32 Cutter

Nice to see the Lions pull it out. Grats.

Man, I'm a little chuffed as I thought HOMM 6 was out today. Why the hell are they releasing it on Thursday when everything is released on Tuesdays? Sumbtiches. I need me my HOMM crack fix!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 14:27 Cutter

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 13:37 Mr. Tact

Off-topic: For all us old fogeys hanging round the site, if you haven't refi'd your house in the last year (or two) you might want to check your options. I refi'd in 2009 and it's looking like I might have to do it again... 3.25% 15 yr fixed? Crazy.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 12:00 nin

Wow, you weren't kidding. That story is fucking insane. "The terrorists are taking pictures of our ice cream! Oh god!"

edit: OMG, that Woz video is a fucking riot!

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2011, 12:11.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 11:41 avianflu

'Row over photo in shopping centre' -- pretty disconcerting story actually. Someone was very very stupid working behind that icecream counter.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo