Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer

BioWare's Casey Hudson Tweets more on the confirmation of plans for multiplayer support in Mass Effect 3, their upcoming action/RP sequel: "Yes, co-op MP missions for #ME3: they're real, and they're spectacular. Rest assured it's nothing of what you've feared. More soon..." Thanks Computer and Video Games.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 10:42 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 09:14:
It's just there so they can sell some online pass crap to minimize used game sales, let's call a spade what it is.

They already had that with the whole Cerberus network thing, so not sure they'd need to double-dip.

Although, in the end, there was nothing in the entire Cerberus network package that was worth 10 bucks.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 10:41 Creston

Does the addition of co-op multiplayer missions impact the scope or quality of the single-player experience?

No. A dedicated team from our recently formed BioWare Montreal studio has been focused on creating the multiplayer game features while the main game continued to be developed by the team in BioWare Edmonton. Both teams are integrated under the same leadership group that produced Mass Effect 1 and 2, led by Casey Hudson. BioWare remains dedicated to delivering one of the most amazing single-player campaigns gamers have ever experienced.

How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?

BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, last year BioWare opened a studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3

Well, let's hope so. It's not as if they'd admit it if it had.

Creston

19. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 10:01 Beamer

Oh, so these are just co-op missions?

The best part of MW2 was doing those Black Ops missions with a buddy sitting next to me. Taking down juggernauts was near-endless amusement, and it killed me that we never got more missions in DLC.

So this could be a fun idea. Especially as they shouldn't take too much away from the main game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 09:58 ZeroCougar

I'm still in shock its actually 100% true. Least its not some goofy 16 player cover based mechanic's online death match.

But yeah looking at it, it almost looks like a pure anti-used game sales scheme. I don't care what anybody says EA's pulling such major strings at BioWare that I don't even think its safe to call them two seperate entities anymore.

Having said those things... I'm still buying it. Switching to buying the game slightly later after release and not pre-order as originally intended.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

17. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 09:14 Verno

It's just there so they can sell some online pass crap to minimize used game sales, let's call a spade what it is.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

16. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 09:11 Lobster

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 04:15:
Besides Dragon Age 2, how else did Bioware 'fuck us in the ass'?

Some people feel that most everything they've done since Baldur's Gate II has been kind of one big "screw you" to CRPG gamers. Not everyone was happy with how much they simplified ME2, for instance.

I thought it worked for the most part. I just hope they don't emphasize shooting in the ME3 multiplayer because people don't come to Mass Effect for the shooting mechanics.

15. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 09:09 Lobster

"Rest assured it's nothing of what you've feared."

Translation: it's exactly what you've feared but we don't want you to be mad at us yet.

14. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 05:08 wonkawonka

Well at least they say the things that make sense:

Why only 4 player co-op? What not a versus mode?
We have always maintained that we would only add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense and did not compromise the power of the single player campaign. Fighting together against a common threat was the multiplayer experience that made the most sense for Mass Effect 3. The way we have designed co-op as a wayto take control of key conflict zones in the galaxy is a natural extension of the premise of Mass Effect 3.

Let's see if the actually manufacture the right product.

13. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 04:15 The Half Elf

Besides Dragon Age 2, how else did Bioware 'fuck us in the ass'?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 03:54 Pineapple Ferguson

"Please buy our game. We won't fuck you in the ass like all the other times we did."

Wise up, people. Stop preordering. Buy it only when the reviews from trusted, non PC Gamer sites, have posted their reviews.

11. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 03:15 Razumen

Looks interesting, and coop definitely fits into the theme of the game. Hopefully it supports split-screen to some degree.  

10. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 00:49 Tumbler

Well it isn't designed for the Wii.

Dammit! Came here to say the same thing!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 11, 2011, 00:31 Draugr

More Info:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1

Still lame!

8. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 10, 2011, 23:19 Suckage

Well it isn't designed for the Wii.  

7. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 10, 2011, 22:54 Acleacius

Rest assured it's nothing of what you've feared.
So the game and gameplay are not designed specifically for the weakest and cheapest piece of gaming crap system?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 10, 2011, 22:53 Charlie_Six

I'm really glad Bioware took the risk and put in some co-op. Mass Effect could work beautifully with it too. Already companion NPCs interject with various bits of dialogue during interaction scenes. Multiplayer co-op could simply have the companions being controlled by your friends, and the dialogue they interject with is chosen by your friends too, from a dialogue wheel. In this way, the companions seem more "alive" because their dialogue is being actively chosen by a real living person. Plus this increases replay value since you might want to replay the mission and have your friends choose different dialogue wheel options.

Co-op would be complicated to implement if all the players had freedom of movement/exploration during non-mission sequences though. Like exploring the Citadel or something like that. Most people would not want to just tag along behind the Shepherd player in these situations. Anyone who's played Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 or Baldur's Gate co-op knows that this can be sort of fun, but also a bit weird.

But, if Bioware just makes side co-op missions where Shepherd and his friends are deploying to some battle area... then I don't see where any big problems could come from. If I'm not mistaken, Bioware is already doing this with The Old Republic.

Another idea is to branch this co-op MP idea into a competitive mode, where two sides of players (3 one each side) would have a scenario where all 6 players are choosing dialogue options on their individual wheels. It would be a semi-big feat for the writer to do, but if pulled off, would be really cool IMO.

Personally I really hope story-driven multiplayer gaming becomes the next big thing. I'm tired of multiplayer gaming being all about nonstop killing. I feel like MP gaming hasn't really evolved in at least a decade, if not longer.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

5. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 10, 2011, 22:47 Dades

Why even do this now? People want a killer finish to the SP series they have been playing, not shoe horned MP to fit into some dumb shit EA Pass thing.  

4. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 10, 2011, 22:00 Creston

entr0py wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 21:38:
That's good, it sounds like they won't be devoting too much of their time to the multiplayer. I don't mind there being some multiplayer component as long as 90% of their effort goes into the single player game. That is why people are going to buy it after all. Making multiplayer half the game would have been a terrible mistake.

I don't want to lose even 10% of their effort to some half-assed co-op experience that I'll never, ever play. I like Casey Hudson, I think he's made two fantastic games so far, but I think he's being a bit presumptuous with his "it's nothing of what you've feared."

Really, Casey? The mp is really not going to take a single jot of time or money away from the SP? Color me unconvinced.

Creston

3. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 10, 2011, 21:38 entr0py

That's good, it sounds like they won't be devoting too much of their time to the multiplayer. I don't mind there being some multiplayer component as long as 90% of their effort goes into the single player game. That is why people are going to buy it after all. Making multiplayer half the game would have been a terrible mistake.  

2. Re: More on Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Oct 10, 2011, 20:57 wazandy

Here's my idea.

Players create a multi character. Either human or one of the many species in the Mass Effect universe.

In the game, Shephard can land on a planet and come face to face with characters from your friends list - friends they've played with (or against) in multi games.

They can then join your party and play alongside you in the SP game complete with their specific weapons, skills and play style would be based on their combat behavior in multiplay games.

YEAH.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo