Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map

My Cup of Tea has an English translation of a map for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that showed up on the internet with Russian captions. Here's the original for comparison. Thanks Destructoid.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 22:19 Creston

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 18:11:
Creston: Check it out.

OBAMA! HOLLA AT A PLAYAH!

I'm SO voting for him next year.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 18:11 ^Drag0n^

Creston: Check it out.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

37. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 16:36 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 15:05:
It always amazes me that this is more or less the only thing Jerykk and I agree on.

Games can be RPG-lite so long as their focus isn't on the RPG aspect. RPG elements can make most genres a bit more fun. As it stands the best games tend to blur genres a bit.

I agree as well; most games (especially shooters) benefit from a little RPG baked in.

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 15:05 Beamer

It always amazes me that this is more or less the only thing Jerykk and I agree on.

Games can be RPG-lite so long as their focus isn't on the RPG aspect. RPG elements can make most genres a bit more fun. As it stands the best games tend to blur genres a bit.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 14:59 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 11:16:
InBlack wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 07:20:

CRPG - Character Role Playing Game - A game focused on meaningful choices that serve to develop your character in different and varied ways.

Eh, CRPG stands for Computer Role Playing Game.

You're both wrong:

CRPG - Crappy Role Playing Game: (n) CRaP-Gee; Refers to the line of RPGs of the post-console era that have been dumbed down such as to not suffer from lack of a keyboard, mouse, or other higher level input device.

But I still pre-ordered Skyrim.

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 12:15 Jerykk

But Oblivion was an enormous best seller that is much beloved. In fairness Skyrim should follow in its footsteps. It featured poor RPG mechanics. Why should Skyrim feature good RPG mechanics? It isn't a traditional RPG, it's an action/adventure with RPG elements.

This. After Oblivion, I've pretty much given up on Elder Scrolls as an RPG series. However, that doesn't stop me from enjoying it as an open-world action/adventure series that gives you tons of stuff to do.

It's fine for him to be *WRONG* about stuff, like saying ME2 isn't an RPG. If ME1 is an RPG then ME2 is as well.

I'm pretty sure neither game qualifies as an RPG, given the total lack of meaningful choice. You can't sneak or talk your way through the game, your moral choices are conveniently color-coded and thus far, haven't had any meaningful consequence. The ME games are shooters first and foremost, with a light sprinkling of RPG elements to add flavor.

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 11:16 Creston

InBlack wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 07:20:

CRPG - Character Role Playing Game - A game focused on meaningful choices that serve to develop your character in different and varied ways.

Eh, CRPG stands for Computer Role Playing Game. And sorry, I'm still going to buy this day 1. I played Oblivion for 500-600 hours. I'm so excited about Skyrim I'm practically giggling.

Actually... Giggle

Creston

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 11:12 Creston

LittleMe wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 22:43:
Release date is 11/11/11. But if they wanted to delay it and maintain the occult numerology, they could release it on 20th of November, which would be 20/11/2011.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! QUIET!!!!

Creston

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 10:50 Pankin

For what it's worth, here's a quote from an excellent "Wiredcontroller" article:

http://wiredcontroller.com/exclusive/streamlining-skyrims-stats

But what about character customization? Surely with fewer attributes it will be hard to create a unique character? And there are no classes anymore, so what about that? The notion that with fewer attributes means fewer options is complete nonsense, thanks to the addition of numerous perks that are rewarded as you level up various skills. The combination of perks and abilities you gather in your quest will make a more unique character than the old system could have ever produced.

Additionally, the class system is a tired and outdated mechanic in single player RPGs. It does serve its purpose in multiplayer and party based RPGs, but all it does is restrict growth in solo RPGs. The purpose of an RPG is to see your character grow and develop not just get better at one task. It will also give players more freedom and let them have more fun. For instance, my friend in Oblivion made an Orc Warrior, like myself, but decided he wanted to be a mage instead. So he just bought a bunch of spells and became a mage, but thanks to the restrictive class system and the choices he made at the beginning of the game (when he had no idea how he wanted to really play the game) his character was a rather bad mage. The system, in short, cut off organic growth, while character growth is supposed to be a staple of RPGs. When a mechanic impedes the overall goal of a game, it should be removed or fixed, there is no question about that, so why is there such a big fuss about the removal of the class system?

I'm kind of ambivalent about these proposed changes but I'm open-minded enough to give them a go. Besides, Bethesda has earned my trust over the years.

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 10:34 Beamer

I meant should as in it looks like it will be, not as in that's the only option it has.

But Oblivion was an enormous best seller that is much beloved. In fairness Skyrim should follow in its footsteps. It featured poor RPG mechanics. Why should Skyrim feature good RPG mechanics? It isn't a traditional RPG, it's an action/adventure with RPG elements.

Yes, simplifying made Dragon Age 2 an inferior game, along with a million other bad design decisions. Simplifying can also lead to a better game. Honestly, is anyone going to miss carrying around repair hammers and having to find them in inventory? Or having to go to pay someone to repair magical items? The money was never an important resource as you became so wealthy so quickly, but the time it took to actually go get it done was a hassle. You guys will miss this?

-------------

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 10:28 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 09:36:
space captain wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 09:27:
i expect something called an rpg to have the ability to define your character

Yeah, we've had this discussion about Oblivion a billion times. It was a shitty RPG, so stop calling it one. Yes, I can understand why people that ran out expecting Planescape would feel duped, but by the time many here bought it its RPG shortfallings were well known.

I just wanted a fun game. I expected an RPG. I got a top-notch action adventure game. I loved the crap out of it.
Skyrim should be the same. Poor RPG mechanics (which barely sound like they exist at all.) Great action adventure mechanics.

Should? Why should it be the same? Why should it feature poor RPG mechanics? When did that become acceptable?

Please let me point to another obvious example where simplification/streamlining led to an inferior product:

Dragon Age - Dragon Age 2

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 10:27 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 09:25:
your choice was pretty much good wizard or bad wizard.
I've never been much of a magic wielder in any ES game. But I've always been a Breton which gives me an automatic 50% resistance to spells. Add to that armor enchanted to bring that up to 100% and I literally laugh out loud at any pathetic Mage attacks.

Anyway, on to Skyrim. I've never been too pissed off at some of their streamlining. I didn't give a rat's ass when they eliminated unarmored and medium armor for example (though I know people claimed they'd never play another ES game again because of that). And I think the perk system worked very well in FO3 so I'm pretty open to see how that works out in Skyrim - maybe it'll balance out their removing of stats, who knows? Plus, they brought Enchanting back as a skill so I'm psyched about that.

They still have some leveled enemies in the game which is OK but it looks like they're taking another cue from FO3 where if you wander into the wrong places too soon you'll have your ass handed to you. It shouldn't be another leveling cluster fuck like Oblivion I hope. Sounds like the style of cities will be more varied - halfway between Morrowind and Oblivion which sounds about right to me. Plus Dragons!

I'm really looking forward to this but I'm still committed to waiting to buy for a couple of months until modders can fix the UI. I don't know if I'll be able to resist but that's still my goal.

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 10:24 InBlack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka3EzZbUCYw

heres a video with a good bit of "daggerfall" in action, which is Elder Scrolls 2.. check especially the character creation process - which is still pretty much the high water mark for ultra-detailed characters.. IMO its very effective at giving you the sense of a very personalized character, which is essential in terms of drawing you in to the ROLE PLAYING aspect of an RPG

the homogenized crap that happens to modern RPGs is a problem in terms of immersion, not to mention customized play style.. yes i still play pen and paper rpgs every now and then, and i expect something called an rpg to have the ability to define your character

Exactly the point I wanted to make. An RPG is supposed to be very replayable simply because you can make so many different characters who deal with difficulties in different ways.

Thats why statistics, skills, or whatever options that allow for character customization (and have meanigful consequences in terms on gameplay) shouldnt be streamlined.

Oblivion was an OK game, but was it as good as Morrowind? Id say no. And one of the primary reasons is because they streamlined and simplified the game in a lot of ways compared to its predecessor.

So please forgive me if Im skeptical with regards to this followup. But it sure is purty!

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 10:18 Verno

heres a video with a good bit of "daggerfall" in action, which is Elder Scrolls 2.. check especially the character creation process - which is still pretty much the high water mark for ultra-detailed characters.. IMO its very effective at giving you the sense of a very personalized character, which is essential in terms of drawing you in to the ROLE PLAYING aspect of an RPG

the homogenized crap that happens to modern RPGs is a problem in terms of immersion, not to mention customized play style.. yes i still play pen and paper rpgs every now and then, and i expect something called an rpg to have the ability to define your character

Well said. While I think that there is room in the market for "experience" driven RPGs, the blending of those with the older style CRPG is an annoying trend.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 09:36 Beamer

i expect something called an rpg to have the ability to define your character

Yeah, we've had this discussion about Oblivion a billion times. It was a shitty RPG, so stop calling it one. Yes, I can understand why people that ran out expecting Planescape would feel duped, but by the time many here bought it its RPG shortfallings were well known.

I just wanted a fun game. I expected an RPG. I got a top-notch action adventure game. I loved the crap out of it.
Skyrim should be the same. Poor RPG mechanics (which barely sound like they exist at all.) Great action adventure mechanics.

-------------

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 09:27 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 09:25 Beamer

It seems that they're looking to make sure everyone can do everything in one playthrough. I'm ok with this. Oblivion let everyone do everything in one playthrough, anyway, the only difference was that some people had much more mana so your choice was pretty much good wizard or bad wizard.

I played twice. Once I was an Orc barbarian thief that ended up half decent at magic. The next time I planned to use more magic but ended up as a human (forgot which one) barbarian thief that was actually worse at magic. Both times I mostly snuck around with the same sword killing people in the same way. Both times I got tired of the game around the Oblivion Gates, as for some reason I felt compelled to keep going into them (I can't explain that.) The first time I quit around then, having done most all of the side missions and feeling that between the Oblivion gates I didn't want to ignore and the chameleon armor that killed challenge the fun was gone. The second time the chameleon armor was a blessing as I could fly through areas I felt were getting tedious and I ended up doing nearly every mission as well as all the expansion quests.

So two playthroughs, two builds, nearly identical style. This is why I always said it wasn't an RPG just an action game. It appears that rather than fixing the RPG they're further polishing the action game. I'm ok with this, although I agree with space captain that leaving in vestigial stats with little purpose would make people happy - hardcore gamers can be like people at a crosswalk and want to keep pushing that button even though it does nothing. Many people that will scream about no stats would be happy having visual stats that make no impact on gameplay.

-------------

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 09:17 space captain

InBlack wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 03:56:
I dont get all of this streamlining, no stats??? Seriously??

id have to agree, its pretty stupid to leave them out - even if they were only vestigial in effect, like in Oblivion.. its another way of customizing your character that has been removed - really the only argument against having stats is "wow this is too much to think about.. its so complex and nerdy, im not a nerd i want to kill stuff bang bang"

RPGs have characters you can personalize.. having no stats leans the game much more over to adventure style (which it already was with oblivion anyways).. so its not a deal breaker but it is irritating as a trend, because its entirely possible the next elder scrolls will say "oh you dont need skills - just do what you want, skills get in the way and prevent coolness, so we took them out"

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 09:12 Lobster

Yeah, not too sure about the Halos. "A lot" of story does not equal a "good" story. I will say that Reach did tell its story very well but again, there's a difference between a good story and good storytelling. Tolkien had a good story, for instance. Not a great storyteller. The man used five adequate words any time two good words would suffice. If he had a good editor everyone would be writing duologies instead of trilogies today.  

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Map Oct 11, 2011, 09:06 yonder

Yeah I'm with TheAdvocate on this. It's fine for him to be *WRONG* about stuff, like saying ME2 isn't an RPG. If ME1 is an RPG then ME2 is as well. Removing grenades and loot management does NOT remove the RPG elements guys.

However... once you list Halo as a game with a great story, you lose any credibility. It's like calling Hitler a pacifist /HankJuniorMode.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo