Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed

The PC PowerPlay Website has a preview of the next print issue of this Australian gaming magazine, which offers a confirmation of various indications that multiplayer support will be included in Mass Effect 3, BioWare's upcoming action/RPG sequel (thanks Joystiq). They show the magazine cover which mentions the multiplayer reveal, and offer the following description:

That’s right - Mass Effect 3 is getting multiplayer! We travel to BioWare’s office in Edmonton for hands-on time with the series’ first foray into online gameplay, and chat with Mass Effect Series Producer and Mass Effect 3 Project Director Casey Hudson about the decision to go multiplayer in the epic battle for the galaxy.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 12, 2011, 08:30 Verno

I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean but whatever floats your boat. I don't see how a third installment of a series that's all about building an individual experience will make a meaningful co-op addition. But I guess "hehe yeah it could be pretty fun if its done gud" is some kind of answer Dunce  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 11, 2011, 19:10 eRe4s3r

Like common sense and humanity are divorced

Hehe, but yeah.. i think it could be pretty fun if its done well, game is not out for quite a while either

51. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 11, 2011, 09:57 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 09:54:
Maybe they just want to make the best ME3 and the best ME game ever - you know, that could be possible ;p

Those concepts are entirely divorced from a gimmick co-op mode

50. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 11, 2011, 09:54 eRe4s3r

Maybe they just want to make the best ME3 and the best ME game ever - you know, that could be possible ;p  

49. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 11, 2011, 09:19 Verno

They could have been designing more SP missions so yes it absolutely affects the SP side. It is resources taken away from one thing and put on another unless you believe they hired more people just for that. They are doing it for business reasons, it has nothing to do with gameplay.  

48. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 11, 2011, 03:45 peteham

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 12:48:
If it's simple coop where your friends can control your allies, but are tethered to the main player, it should be fine and fun. But if they actually tried to make a competitive multiplayer mode... yikes.

From http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?

Commander Shepard’s part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara…these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions. In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.
So it looks as if this coop stuff will be a completely detached affair.. I'm mostly fine with that to be honest. At least it lends some credibility to their claims that MP didn't affect SP (as there's no way in hell you can integrate co-op into the SP missions without making some concessions, it would among other things rule out any solo missions like the Arrival DLC).. But I don't really care how they spin it: Even though a completely separate team built the MP like they claim, it's still time and effort that could've been spent improving the SP campaign instead.

Not to say that these co-op missions won't provide a bit of fun, but ultimately I think they're mostly going for that extra bullet-point on the back of the box..

47. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 19:20 eRe4s3r

Well with the different save systems and playthroughs possible over all those ME games i just meant that someone who has 3 saves of ME1 and 7 saves of ME2 is gonna get a lot of mileage out of ME3 - unless it sucks really badly.  

46. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 18:24 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:24:
If you played ME1 and ME2, theres no way you could pass on ME3, it'd be like buying 4 books in the series, and not buying the final conclusion book 5 when its released.

I know. And EA is milking that knowledge for all it's fucking worth.

Creston

Oh, I'll get it. At the 2013 Steam Sale for $5.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

45. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 18:23 Brumbek

Horrible decision. Total fail. MP...I do.not.want! BioWare gets worse and worse every year. I find their lack of faith in tried and true RPG methods disturbing...  

44. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 18:01 Frijoles

I'm more worried they're going to make it exclusive to Origin.  

43. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 17:58 Eldaron Imotholin

Obviously targeted at consoles, but Mass Effect 3 is a must-get, not saying buy.. maybe rental... to see how the story concludes.

If Garrus Legion and Tali are in ME3, then half of the fans will get what they buy ME3 for. The other half is for the continuity save system. If you played ME1 and ME2, theres no way you could pass on ME3, it'd be like buying 4 books in the series, and not buying the final conclusion book 5 when its released.

It's more like buying 2 books and not buying the 3rd. But I get your point. I will indeed get ME3 to see how it concludes but I'm afraid they're gonna overdo it. Maybe because they look too much at the God of War audiance. You know, the kids that spray their fluids all over their couch, controller and TV screen because they're running around a surface that's actually a titan's fat ass and end up somehow killing it. I mean, I saw this one clip where Shepard is on some cart-think with a big gun on it, shooting at an ancient giant Reaper as the thing is chasing him. It's just "BLEGH!" all over.. but I'm sure my 12 year old nephew will experience his first full attention during the scene.

*Yawn*

Time for bed. Latersss.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

42. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 17:40 Creston

If you played ME1 and ME2, theres no way you could pass on ME3, it'd be like buying 4 books in the series, and not buying the final conclusion book 5 when its released.

I know. And EA is milking that knowledge for all it's fucking worth.

Creston

41. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 17:24 eRe4s3r

Obviously targeted at consoles, but Mass Effect 3 is a must-get, not saying buy.. maybe rental... to see how the story concludes.

If Garrus Legion and Tali are in ME3, then half of the fans will get what they buy ME3 for. The other half is for the continuity save system. If you played ME1 and ME2, theres no way you could pass on ME3, it'd be like buying 4 books in the series, and not buying the final conclusion book 5 when its released.

40. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 16:56 Prez

Oh boy. Another multiplayer mode I'll never touch. Hooray. Undecided  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 15:44 Draugr

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 13:51:
Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 13:39:
I was totally underwhelmed with ME2, and the addition of multiplayer to ME3 only makes me less interested because it means they are taking away resources that could have been making the single player game better to work on a feature that I don't care about. Plus, fuck EA. Might pick it up when all the ineveitable DLC has been trickled out and they have bundled up for dirt cheap. Maybe.

Did ME2 ever have an edition with all the DLC bundled?

Creston

Well said.

And just like with DA2, it's something not few people were asking for, but it's getting put in anyway, an extension of trying to please people who have no desire to play their game. No Gears of War player who already isn't in to mass effect is going to be sold on it. They will still look at it, say 'all this dialogue is stupid, why can't i be shooting things' and then go back to a game that isn't trying to straddle a fence. Just like how in DA2 they tried appealing players who (generally)didn't wanna play their game to begin with, and they ended up with less sales than before.

Personally, they should have just held off on this and made it DLC or something. For a lot of people, if ME3 doesn't turn out they way they want, this will be the scapegoat, (whether it is deserving or not.)

The only way this could have been appealing to me is if it was drop in/out co-op, so a friend could play a party member. As it is though it looks like standalone missions, which has little to no appeal for me.

38. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 15:20 Eldaron Imotholin

Ugh, same feeling in my guts that told me Rage somehow wouldn't cut it.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 fan, but from what I've heard and seen from Mass Effect 3... I'm far from excited. Maybe they're trying to be too "bad ass" in that typical adolescent kinda way...

*sigh* The famous console target group.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

37. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 15:02 Pineapple Ferguson

Maybe they didn't release a cohesive bundle. Honestly, I haven't paid attention. Played through it once right when it came out, shrugged and said "meh", then uninstalled it. Graphically it looked nice, but I thought it was a big step back as far as depth and story went. Not that ME1 was all that deep, but it was just a more enjoyable game to me.  

36. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 14:01 Creston

Other than Lair of the Shadowbroker, Project Overlord and maybe Kasumi, I'm not sure you'd miss out on anything else. The DLC was kinda hit and miss. Aftermath (or whatever it was called) was pretty cool, but very, VERY short, and not that great.

And the rest is all weapons and new dresses for your party members.

Creston

35. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 13:53 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 13:51:
I was totally underwhelmed with ME2, and the addition of multiplayer to ME3 only makes me less interested because it means they are taking away resources that could have been making the single player game better to work on a feature that I don't care about. Plus, fuck EA. Might pick it up when all the ineveitable DLC has been trickled out and they have bundled up for dirt cheap. Maybe.

Creston

I'd be a little surprised if they didn't do it right before the 3rd one ships. I almost bought a steam copy when it was on sale awhile back, but then realized there was still pieces of DLC that weren't included...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 13:51 Creston

Creston

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo