Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2011, 10:16 Verno

Qwikster, I mean really? It's like they went back in time. The whole concept of divorcing the two sites was hilarious too, as if anyone was going to accept that these days when most people are barely computer literate enough to operate apps on their phones.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2011, 20:35 Sepharo

raVen wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 10:58:
Did someone at netflix think it was Apr 1st?

Hahah so right.
Each one of those headlines could easily be an April fools joke.

13. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 20:24 zirik

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:13:
Which is why Oklahoma (fuckers) and Michigan have now put Bills into action that mandate Amazon to report all sales to all OK and MI inhabitants to the respective state IRS offices.

unfortunately a lot of states are starting to pass "amazon" laws. the argument in support of online use tax for out of state online retailers is bogus. there are no jobs lost to online retailers when your consumer base cannot support through sales volume the physical presence of a retail store. i hope amazon takes their cause to the supreme court to determine how use tax obtained from online sales will benefit businesses who dont file income tax at states other than where they operate. the supreme court should force the states that collect use tax to invest the money into municipal broadband and then redefine internet access as a commodity. that would be fair but then major telcos will shit their pants.

12. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 17:43 zirik

Funkinator wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:32:
You are wrong. Each state is a little different, but here is my state.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/sales_tax.html

you missed the part under the "Who Must Pay Tax?". it says "Importing goods from any state or foreign country, for sale at retail". amazon does not have a retail establishment in florida.

11. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 17:32 Funkinator

You are wrong. Each state is a little different, but here is my state.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/sales_tax.html
-If you buy a taxable item in Florida and didn't pay sales tax, you owe use tax.
-If you buy an item tax-exempt intending to resell it and then use the item in your business or for personal use, you owe use tax.
-If you buy a taxable item outside Florida and bring or have it delivered into this state and you didn't pay sales tax on the item, you owe use tax.

zirik wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:20:
You're supposed to file sales taxes on stuff over which you didn't pay sales tax when you purchased it,

it is not the responsibility of the consumer because businesses are supposed to file/pay sales tax based on their estimated income per quarter. if consumers end up with the burden then everyone will be eligible to file an itemized tax return. the abuses that would result from that practice will make the IRS shit their pants with a huge backlog of audits up their ass.

my problem with forcing amazon to collect sales tax in a state they do not operate locally is the fact that they do not benefit from the revenue generated by the local govt. one of the main reason sales tax are collected is to maintain and provide infrastructure for businesses. since UPS and other shipping companies already collect sales tax on their services that is where the govt should stop. in essence what connecticut et al wants is to double tax the same purchase by the consumer.

10. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 17:20 zirik

You're supposed to file sales taxes on stuff over which you didn't pay sales tax when you purchased it,

it is not the responsibility of the consumer because businesses are supposed to file/pay sales tax based on their estimated income per quarter. if consumers end up with the burden then everyone will be eligible to file an itemized tax return. the abuses that would result from that practice will make the IRS shit their pants with a huge backlog of audits up their ass.

my problem with forcing amazon to collect sales tax in a state they do not operate locally is the fact that they do not benefit from the revenue generated by the local govt. one of the main reason sales tax are collected is to maintain and provide infrastructure for businesses. since UPS and other shipping companies already collect sales tax on their services that is where the govt should stop. in essence what connecticut et al wants is to double tax the same purchase by the consumer.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2011, 17:31.

9. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 17:13 Creston

zirik wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:05:

no, consumers are not required to file sales taxes they paid.

You're supposed to file sales taxes on stuff over which you didn't pay sales tax when you purchased it, but even our totally worthless and dumbass government realizes full well that it's an honor-system at best, and absolutely impossible to check. So the large large large large large majority of people obviously never does it. Fuck that.

Which is why Oklahoma (fuckers) and Michigan have now put Bills into action that mandate Amazon to report all sales to all OK and MI inhabitants to the respective state IRS offices.

Afaik both Bills are still being contested and are on hold, but states are definitely whining about their "lost income."

The idea that they could just fire two government employees who do 0 hours of work each year never enters their brains.

Creston

8. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 17:05 zirik

mag wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 16:19:
It's paid by the purchaser for being there. In most (all?) states with sales tax, you are already required to report mail/internet-order purchases on your yearly taxes. If you aren't, you're breaking the law.

no, consumers are not required to file sales taxes they paid. even if they are doing itemized filing of income tax. and i think you are confusing the process of collecting sales tax on services provided by businesses with sales tax paid for by consumers.

and just to be clear. i dont think you understand the issue here with amazon. they do collect sales tax on states where they have local operations like washington state and kentucky. they dont have a local operation in conecticut so they should not have to collect sales tax on items sold to that states residents.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2011, 17:15.

7. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 16:48 zirik

mag wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 16:19:
Sales tax isn't paid by the company for the pleasure of using the state's/locality's infrastructure.

where do you think they spend the sales tax collected from businesses? expensive muffins?

6. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 16:19 mag

zirik wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 15:36:
im tired of the states who double dip on taxing consumers. companies who dont use local infrastructure should not have to pay local tax. amazon does not use connecticut infrastructure; i.e. roads, health services or even tax breaks, etc. UPS and other shipping companies do. so they are the ones who include state sales tax in their service. if amazon was the one operating the shipping operations for the delivery of their products to their customers then by all means they should pay state sales tax. but as of right now the states who have no obligation to give services or provide access to infrastructure to employees from companies who dont have local operations like amazon should not have the right to ask for state sales tax.

Sales tax isn't paid by the company for the pleasure of using the state's/locality's infrastructure. It's paid by the purchaser for being there. In most (all?) states with sales tax, you are already required to report mail/internet-order purchases on your yearly taxes. If you aren't, you're breaking the law.

5. Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 15:36 zirik

im tired of the states who double dip on taxing consumers. companies who dont use local infrastructure should not have to pay local tax. amazon does not use connecticut infrastructure; i.e. roads, health services or even tax breaks, etc. UPS and other shipping companies do. so they are the ones who include state sales tax in their service. if amazon was the one operating the shipping operations for the delivery of their products to their customers then by all means they should pay state sales tax. but as of right now the states who have no obligation to give services or provide access to infrastructure to employees from companies who dont have local operations like amazon should not have the right to ask for state sales tax.  

4. Re: youtube film rentals in UK Oct 10, 2011, 14:19 DG

New releases will cost 3.49 to rent and library titles 2.49
3.49 is about $5.50. All these online rentals try to charge the same as Blockbuster did, didn't they notice how that worked out?

I can buy many older DVDs for 3 at Play/Amazon, or even bricks & mortar Fopp.

I rent DVDs and Blurays for ~13/m ordered online and mailed out; I get through about 14 disks a month; <1 per disk.

I might pay 2 to rent a new movie. Paying 3x can sometimes be worth the being able to choose exactly what and when to watch. I'd probably pay 15/m for unlimited viewing. 3.50 a pop? Nope.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2011, 13:21 avianflu

fairly giant PR disaster for netflix  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2011, 11:01 nin

At least they're fixing one fuckup. But whoever keeps coming up with these crazy ideas needs to be shitcanned.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2011, 10:58 raVen

Did someone at netflix think it was Apr 1st?

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo