Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

"No Firm Decision" Yet on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 DRM

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a response from GSC Game World to yesterday's report suggesting some sort of always-on DRM is in the works for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. Word is that while such a plan is being considered for the first-person shooter sequel, they have not yet made a final decision:

The idea of implementing DRM came in as a possible anti-piracy solution. You know the severe level of commercial piracy we have here in ex-USSR region. This said however, there is no firm decision to go for DRM with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 as of now. Be assured, we do realize how uncomfortable this solution is for the players, so we’ll continue looking for most effective, yet acceptable for all, way of protecting the game by the time of its release.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 23:39 Dev

Surf wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 22:01:
These developers should use some kind of temporary online activation and online only game play for say the first 30 days. Usually in 1-30 days a game is cracked, and they just need that first 30 days to get people to buy the game.

After 30 days, deliver a patch that only applies or reduces the online only DRM to say a CD check or remove it entirely. But there should be something to prevent casual piracy.
I agree. It wouldn't worry or bother people nearly so much if the crazy limited activation kinda thing was only in the first few months. One of the big problems with that kinda DRM is if you have to reinstall after upgrading computers.

Unfortunately, almost no one actually does that, not after 1 month, and not after a year or more either. Its rare enough that any official patch that removes copy protection often gets mentioned here on blues.

That would satisfy people who hate DRM too, they could wait until it went on sale after the DRM removal patch and buy it then. But nope.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: "No Firm Decision" Yet on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 DRM Oct 10, 2011, 22:01 Surf

These developers should use some kind of temporary online activation and online only game play for say the first 30 days. Usually in 1-30 days a game is cracked, and they just need that first 30 days to get people to buy the game.

After 30 days, deliver a patch that only applies or reduces the online only DRM to say a CD check or remove it entirely. But there should be something to prevent casual piracy.

24. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 11:32 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 10:04:
As I recall, didn't some versions of the other stalker games use starforce?
And TAGES 5-machine activation with Clear Sky - THAT wasn't popular.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 11:30 theyarecomingforyou

wtf_man wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 09:44:
Well, putting up a poll on their forums and issuing a statement isn't exactly on the level... it's more like back-peddling and damage control.

They clearly intend to put some sort of draconian DRM on their product... it is just now a question of whether it will be in the form of "always online" or not.
True, but id Software could have done the exact same thing. But what we see here is a smaller developer being much more responsive to the community, acting quickly to prevent negativity building up. You only have to look at the RAGE forums to see how out of control that situation got. Carmack was happy to talk about dropping his iPad 2 or his dislike of resolution acronyms on his Twitter feed but had very little designed to help the community - just a mention of drivers and a link to some config tweaks, with nothing about what they were looking to do to address the issues.

All they needed was one person to speak for id Software to go around all the main forums and work with the community. Afterall, it seems pretty pointless to develop a game for years and then have it all go to pot because you can't be bothered working with the community. There's no point hyping up the game with PR and then effectively abandoning people at launch. Even if all they said was "a patch will be out within a week" or "high resolution textures are on their way" or whatever. But they could have done a lot to prevent what actually happened.

22. Re: "No Firm Decision" Yet on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 DRM Oct 10, 2011, 10:04 Dev

As I recall, didn't some versions of the other stalker games use starforce?  

21. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 09:44 wtf_man

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 19:16:
I think this highlights the difference between GSC Game World and id Software. Here within a day they have issued a response and sought to clarify the situation.

Well, putting up a poll on their forums and issuing a statement isn't exactly on the level... it's more like back-peddling and damage control.

They clearly intend to put some sort of draconian DRM on their product... it is just now a question of whether it will be in the form of "always online" or not.

We'll just have to see what happens.

20. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 09:05 finga

Ray Ban wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 06:11:
Companies don't feel. They calculate.

Does this make financial sense? Then we do it.

It doesn't? Then we don't do it.
Actually, they do this all the damn time. First example that comes to mind is Chick-Fil-A, who has at least two major company policies that cost them quite a bit of business, but they maintain them anyway based on the company heads' faith.

... perhaps you meant "public corporations", and you're getting somewhat closer to the truth.

19. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 09:03 finga

TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 04:59:
I would hope not. I think the latest stalker game was the last recently released game I paid for but I will not be doing so for this one if they go the steam route.
Considering that the last STALKER game was released nearly two years ago now, as well as the fact that Steam is enough for you to not buy a game, I don't think you have to worry too much about developers trying to sell you games.

18. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 08:43 necrosis

Wolfen wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 17:42:
-no firm decision on buying or not-
LOL. I was about to say something to that effect.

17. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 08:03 Bhruic

"How do you feel?". Companies don't feel. They calculate.

Companies don't calculate. They don't "do" anything. People do things. Companies are made up of people, and it's those people who make the decisions for them. Companies don't feel? Maybe not, but the people in the company do. That's why companies often make poor decisions.

16. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 06:38 eRe4s3r

So how you gonna do mods for a online only game?

Oh wait, thats hacking for you.. ~.~

15. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 06:11 Ray Ban

AnointedSword wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 04:37:
Man I would love all major developers to go online only. This will have a positive impact throughout the gaming industry. It might make some of you get educated about game design and make some awesome single player and multiplayer games. Then maybe you guys will feel what it is like when someone steals from you (pirating).

I hear a lot of people talking about community here. How do you feel if the community was on your servers and you only sold half those numbers? So now you are stuck with people stealing, hacking and God knows what on servers that your evil corporation pays for.

*Disclaimer: I am not talking to everyone*

"How do you feel?". Companies don't feel. They calculate.

Does this make financial sense? Then we do it.

It doesn't? Then we don't do it.

Maybe Derek Smart or some other small-time dev could let their ego get in the way of business sense, but not a medium/major company.

Publisher/developer != person obsessed with petty human emotions.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

14. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 05:15 Kajetan

TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 04:59:
I would hope not. I think the latest stalker game was the last recently released game I paid for but I will not be doing so for this one if they go the steam route.
Being released on Steam has some advantages for (nearly) everyone.

1. Steam as copy prevention sucks. Cracks are easily availabe on release day and for every major patch release.

2. The dev has a well established DRM system he can show his investors.

3. For some customers Steam adds value to a game.

4. Sales will reduce the buying price to a few dollars, if you are patient enough and have no interest in spending 40-50 bucks, dollars, euros, pounds whatever on a game you only rent.

Yes, no DRM at all is the best solution for the devs and the customers, but sadly not all devs go indie and the major publishers answer only to their investors, not to the customers or devs.

13. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 04:59 TheVocalMinority

Kajetan wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 14:10:
GSC: We proudly announce Steamworks as DRM solution.
Customers: Yay!

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

12. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 04:56 Kajetan

AnointedSword wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 04:37:
Yes. It seems you are talking to yourself. Oh, and less (!) DRM will most likely reduce piracy:

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=16282&SnID=107477196

11. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 04:37 AnointedSword

Man I would love all major developers to go online only. This will have a positive impact throughout the gaming industry. It might make some of you get educated about game design and make some awesome single player and multiplayer games. Then maybe you guys will feel what it is like when someone steals from you (pirating).

I hear a lot of people talking about community here. How do you feel if the community was on your servers and you only sold half those numbers? So now you are stuck with people stealing, hacking and God knows what on servers that your evil corporation pays for.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2011, 05:22.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

10. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 03:37 Kajetan

Cornholio wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 00:31:
What's fucked up is id used to be quick to help/work with the community.
But the community doesnt matter anymore, because they all use the wrong plattform

9. Re: Oct 10, 2011, 00:31 Cornholio

What's fucked up is id used to be quick to help/work with the community.  

8. Re: "No Firm Decision" Yet on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 DRM Oct 9, 2011, 19:16 theyarecomingforyou

I think this highlights the difference between GSC Game World and id Software. Here within a day they have issued a response and sought to clarify the situation. With RAGE rumours, confusion and doubt fuelled heated debate and their response on Twitter was to simply tell people to use the latest drivers. If they had simply worked with the community much more closely they could have minimised the turbulence from the problems at launch. Instead the fan base turned on them, which was completely understandable.  

7. Re: Oct 9, 2011, 18:09 Rattlehead

Go with Steamworks and all will be well.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo