Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Patched

Steam News has details on a new patch for RAGE that's now automatically available to update id Software's first -person shooter. The lengthy patch notes go into extreme detail on what the patch does, as it offers access to many graphics settings not present in the release version of the game. Here's the into which explains this:

RAGE defaults to lower video settings to allow the game to work on a wide variety of hardware and software configurations. Unfortunately, it is not possible to anticipate all possible graphics driver issues in combination with unique end user hardware and software configurations. For this reason RAGE does not automatically increase video/graphics settings as this could result in negative side effects on specific hardware and software configurations. The original release of RAGE does not expose many video/graphics options for people to tweak because some of these settings, although desirable from a quality perspective, simply will not work on specific configurations either due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs. Due to popular demand for more video and graphics options, this patch updates the video settings menu and exposes several quality and performance settings. However, not everyone may be able to increase the settings due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs.

The Bethesda Blog summarizes the patch notes:

• Implemented workaround for AMD driver crash right after intro cinematic on Win 7 32-bit systems.
  • Disabled UBOs because they are causing animation issues with AMD drivers. Don’t allow swap-tear to be enabled on AMD while the extension is not exposed because it may crash.
  • Support for new video settings: “texture cache”, “vsync”, and ”anisotropic filter”
  • Automatically adjust vt_maxPPF based on the number of available cores.
  • Improved performance for SLI cards when GPU transcode is enabled.
  • Fix for GPU Transcoding option being disabled after exiting gameplay.
  • Added safe mode to restore video settings to default values.
  • Allow g_fov to be changed from the RAGE launch options in Steam.
  • Server now forwards text chat from clients to all other clients while in-game.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

76. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 11:18 theyarecomingforyou

The post processing is pretty poor in RAGE and Carmack actually admitted in QuakeCon 2011 that he initially opposed it but was outvoted on the issue. One of the problems with post-processing is that there seems to be arbitrary boundaries, meaning you can look in a room and see the normal lighting but step forward and trigger the post-processing.

Also, it makes you wonder if id Software was happy with the performance of AMD drivers for months why the first patch had to disable UBOs because of animation issues.

PS - It's really annoying that if you alt-tab out of this game it disables v-sync. I know they're working on a fix but it seems like strange behaviour.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 10:25 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 23:31:
I fixed it by turning vsync OFF in the game itself, and just forcing it through the driver. Despite id's warning that you shouldn't do that, it runs just fine.

Well this is messed. I did the opposite (Application controlled in the driver, on in the game), and it seemed to fix (or at least seemingly fix) the issue.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

74. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 10:06 Dev

Wait what? The low quality crap from the auto config on high end systems was a FEATURE not a bug?

Then why the frack would you not put any menu options in so people could crank it up if they were capable? Either the auto-config is good and you don't need video options (which seemed to be the initial excuse), or its crap and you need the video options for people to tweak it to match their system. Sounds like you are trying to argue both worlds "its good but we purposefully made a design decision to nerf everyone" and "we wanted to reduce everyone down to lowest common denominator and not let anyone adjust it upwards"

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2011, 10:21.

73. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 09:22 Learning

How can I unpatch the game.It ran just fine before the patch and now steam can't even start the game.Again,does anyone know how to unpatch this game?Thank you.  

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

72. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 09:19 finga

tRens wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 07:55:
I would like to point out that locking all of the variables that we'd like to tinker with is ridiculously console-faggotry-sheety.

Bethesda/ZeniMax seem to have their fingers in id in some fashion, and I'd like those fingers cut off at the shoulder.

Consoles were good in the beginning, but now they're just crapping all over everything.
Stop posting.

71. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 09:10 Mad Max RW

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 08:26:

The "after" shots definitely look better. I wasn't sure if the original poster thought they did or not.

Uh, yeah. I thought it was pretty obvious in my original post. Rage has dog piss graphics filters locked in place now thanks to the patch. The "Before" pics are how the game looks by default. The "After" is how I play it without my retinas burning out.

70. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 09:09 Quboid

tRens wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 07:55:
Quboid wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 20:49:
MajorD wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 19:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 15:03:
MajorD wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 14:41:
"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added.

REALLY Johnny? What was the platform that launched id Software and got you your Ferraris? DICK!

That was about 15 years ago. Business models that worked 15 years ago result in your Ferrari getting repossessed now. Are you really childish enough to think computer gaming platforms haven't changed in 15 years?

No, but obviously you are enough to miss my point.

OK, can you elaborate? If your point isn't that PCs are where id's income from Rage is, what is your point? That they should be loyal to their customers?

Many of the customers who bought JC his Ferrari are now console gamers. Most of the ones I know aren't gamers at all. Even if PC gamers then are PC gamers now, why do we have an expectation of loyalty? When I bought Quake, I paid money to id Software in exchange for a game. That's the extent of our relationship, id don't owe me future games and I don't owe id future business.

You're ass-uming that everyone of those 'most' is a console gamer?

I see your loyalty point and it makes sense.

I would like to point out that locking all of the variables that we'd like to tinker with is ridiculously console-faggotry-sheety.

Bethesda/ZeniMax seem to have their fingers in id in some fashion, and I'd like those fingers cut off at the shoulder.

Consoles were good in the beginning, but now they're just crapping all over everything.

The "most" I mentioned is a subjective observation, the people I knew who played Doom* and Quake no longer play any games. The "many" was an objective estimation, I think that relatively few of the people who bought PC games on floppy discs are still PC gaming enthusiasts. I think they are more likely to play a few Xbox games when the wife and kids and job and mortgage give them a few minutes off.

I am surprised by how locked down stuff is. The console was a wonderful addition to Quake, on par with the whole polygon 3D thing that it popularised. I'm disappointed that they are shying away from this.

* I refuse to capitalise id's game names; I don't care how good they were, I'm not shouting!

- Quboid

69. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 09:08 Angrius Maximis

My game works and has worked since day one. Having fun. I think its a good game. And Creston you are a moron. You post here way too much and you think that entitles you to some expert gamer title. In reality you are a noob.  

68. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 08:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Kastagir wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 03:03:
Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 23:56:
I reverted back to the unpatched Rage.exe when I discovered they locked almost all of the console command values. The game is so much better with my custom config disabling health regen, better accuracy for bad guys, faster run/walk speed, infinite and faster sprint, no stupid highlighting objects and things you interact with, some other tweaks, oh and also this:

Inside the Wellspring Bar:
Before
After

Wellspring mayor's office:
Before
After

Call me crazy, but I think the "after" screens are better. The Wellspring Bar seems too awash with light in the "before" shot. The darker scenes are more convincing.

The "after" shots definitely look better. I wasn't sure if the original poster thought they did or not.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

67. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 07:55 tRens

Quboid wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 20:49:
MajorD wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 19:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 15:03:
MajorD wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 14:41:
"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added.

REALLY Johnny? What was the platform that launched id Software and got you your Ferraris? DICK!

That was about 15 years ago. Business models that worked 15 years ago result in your Ferrari getting repossessed now. Are you really childish enough to think computer gaming platforms haven't changed in 15 years?

No, but obviously you are enough to miss my point.

OK, can you elaborate? If your point isn't that PCs are where id's income from Rage is, what is your point? That they should be loyal to their customers?

Many of the customers who bought JC his Ferrari are now console gamers. Most of the ones I know aren't gamers at all. Even if PC gamers then are PC gamers now, why do we have an expectation of loyalty? When I bought Quake, I paid money to id Software in exchange for a game. That's the extent of our relationship, id don't owe me future games and I don't owe id future business.

You're ass-uming that everyone of those 'most' is a console gamer?

I see your loyalty point and it makes sense.

66. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 03:03 Kastagir

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 23:56:
I reverted back to the unpatched Rage.exe when I discovered they locked almost all of the console command values. The game is so much better with my custom config disabling health regen, better accuracy for bad guys, faster run/walk speed, infinite and faster sprint, no stupid highlighting objects and things you interact with, some other tweaks, oh and also this:

Before
After

Before
After

Call me crazy, but I think the "after" screens are better. The Wellspring Bar seems too awash with light in the "before" shot. The darker scenes are more convincing.

65. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 02:45 eRe4s3r

Yeah but that time i didn't expect anything more, expectations have increased over the years, i only lament the detail when its LACKING, i only lament the endings when its inferior to others i have seen.

With graphics its even more hilarious, one doesn't even notice good graphics anymore, one only notices when they are NOT THERE ;p Conversely, the only thing from rAGE that i will remember is the blurry blotches they call textures..brr will have nightmares from that.

64. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 02:40 Mashiki Amiketo

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 01:37:
Did they say that publicly? If so, that's definitely a step...backwards.
I believe folks, that's the touch of the console. Remember, you're not allowed to 'tweak' anything besides what they do for you.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

63. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 02:01 Agent.X7

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 19:59:
SirKnight wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 18:27:
The BS I've been reading recently makes me not want to ever admit I'm a pc gamer any more. Good thing I actually play console and pc. No wonder devs no longer want to support pc. These PoG's are a bunch of whiny a-holes. At least console gamers, while they accept lesser quality stuff, are not a bunch of fuktards.

Jesus Christ. Did you major in fucking Drama?

OH I NEVER WANT TO ADMIT I'M A PC GAMER ANYMORE! WOE IS ME!

Stop being such an asshat. You're not some kind of fucking bastion of Holy Gamer Light.

Creston

Haha, that actually made me chuckle out loud. (COL?)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

62. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 01:37 ^Drag0n^

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 22:34:
Apparently the swap tear switch (along with a number of other switches people were tweaking with) have been disabled in this patch. The game will let you use them but they no longer have any effect.

Did they say that publicly? If so, that's definitely a step...backwards.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

61. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 01:20 Dades

At least console gamers, while they accept lesser quality stuff, are not a bunch of fuktards.

You have obviously not spent any serious time on Xbox Live or PSN.

60. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 23:56 Mad Max RW

Before
After

Before
After

59. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 23:31 Creston

space captain wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 22:10:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 22:03:
After hearing of all the issues, I decided to wait a few days after release to try RAGE. I heard about this patch and thought it was a good time to jump in. It seems to run well with no pop-in but the screen tearing is so bad, it gives me eye strain. The V-Sync option they added goes back to Off after I click Accept, though every other option sticks. Forcing V-Sync in the NVIDIA drivers doesn't make any difference either. In every other game I've played since building this rig, I haven't needed V-Sync and get no tearing. People in the Bethesda forums are having lots of issues but very few seem to be having this one. I'm going to wait a couple of days to hear if there's a solution. If not, I'm requesting a refund from Steam and renting this on 360. Not interested in paying $60 for the promise of this one day maybe working.

im having the same issue... its not happening with any other games so i know its not these beta drivers or anything else..

its basically like screen tearing but it happens even with very minor movements.. its like a shimmery pixellated band across the screen, really odd looking and basically a deal breaker

really disappointed with id on this one

I fixed it by turning vsync OFF in the game itself, and just forcing it through the driver. Despite id's warning that you shouldn't do that, it runs just fine.

Creston

58. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 23:10 PHJF

Doom 3 scaled very well. I remember it running admirably on my well-aged Ti4600.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

57. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 22:34 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently the swap tear switch (along with a number of other switches people were tweaking with) have been disabled in this patch. The game will let you use them but they no longer have any effect.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo