Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 10, 2011, 10:51 WaltC

Well, I think Apple customers, at least the die-hard "I only buy Apple!" kind, are in the throes of yet another Reality Distortion Field. Like the poster here who thinks that Apple technology touched everything that people use to post to the Internet! I can't think of a single thing I'm using right now to post this message in terms of hardware or software that is the result or an offshoot of Apple products or technology.

Apple fans really do think Jobs was some kind of a saint, come to rid the world of the evil influences of X<insert the name of your least favorite company here>. This kind of melodramatic overreaction to Jobs' death, although everyone knew he had been fighting a losing war against pancreatic cancer for the past seven years, is much the same sort of reaction we might see if a US head of state was assassinated. In this case it is way overblown.

There are many unflattering things I could point out about Jobs' career, things that are unarguable facts of record, but I'm willing to let the bereaved grieve for a bit longer before engaging anyone in that kind of dialog...;) I do think it is early yet to unleash the dogs of hindsight.

Here's a tidbit, though. Jobs' approved biographer has recently revealed what Jobs told him about his reasoning behind allowing an official biography to be written. (paraphrased) "I wanted my children to be able to read about the 'real me' and why it was that I wasn't there for them much of the time. I want them to understand me." Well, the only thought that occurs to me is that during the last seven years of his life Jobs had plenty of time to spend with his children so that they could get to know him.

There is much--very much--about himself that he might've personally shared with his children if he had thought it worthwhile. It seems to me that wanting his children to read about him in a biography written by a stranger is a cop-out of supreme proportions, seeing as how he had a seven-year window of warning as to his mortality--which is a lot more warning than most people ever get. But if you don't believe Jobs' answer here as to why he wanted a biography written--then it's a moot point, anyway.

I'm not at all sure that Jobs was very much of a "people person" or a "children person" at heart, and I thought the tale of how he originally perjured himself in front of a court by claiming he was sterile in order to escape claims that he had impregnated his long-time girl friend was a very telling event. Lots of people behave in this way, and other than the perjury part there's nothing illegal about it.

Jobs was in all respects ordinarily human--not a saint--nowhere close to a saint, and certainly not a "genius" on the order of an Einstein (Jobs didn't compare in the brain department.) And I think that's how Jobs should be remembered--as an ordinary guy who worked hard, lucked out, and was often in the right place at the right time.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 10, 2011, 01:25 ^Drag0n^

I never mentioned names, nor would I suggest that Gates hasn't made meaningful contributions.

My point is that Jobs kept his private life private, including whatever causes he supported. And those whose lives he did reach in to in order to help? I'm sure it was beyond appreciated.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 10, 2011, 00:44 PropheT

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 21:57:
Publicly.

There are plenty of stories out here in the Bay Area of people that Steve helped in moments of crisis or need, and he never felt the need to turn it into a PR fest. Case and point: his gardener's son.

I'm not sure if you're intentionally suggesting that Bill Gates is tooting his own horn with his charitable work, but...stories of helping out a few random people and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation don't really compare.

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 9, 2011, 21:57 ^Drag0n^

Publicly.

There are plenty of stories out here in the Bay Area of people that Steve helped in moments of crisis or need, and he never felt the need to turn it into a PR fest. Case and point: his gardener's son.

I'm not saying the guy was a saint, but every device and technology we are using just to be able to post on a forum like this was touched directly or indirectly by technologies he enabled.

I've heard many people call him a primadonna, but what and when did he ever use his influence for the gain of anything but Apple? We hardly know anything but one or two stories about him personally, yet people praise or condemn him like they knew him intimately.

We lost a visionary that formed many of the ways we interface with each other today; history will judge his greatness or obscurity.

As for the opinions of Gawker Media: I expect no less from their "journalists," (sic.); the chip on their shoulder has been well documented for some time...

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 9, 2011, 18:12 Creston

Nobody would care. And Bill Gates has donated billions of dollars more to charity than Steve Jobs ever did.

Creston

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 9, 2011, 16:59 eunichron

It makes me wonder though, if Bill Gates were to die tomorrow, what kind of reception would that news get?  

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 9, 2011, 16:02 Creston

Yes, the world IS overreacting. WILDLY.

Creston

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo