Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 8, 2011, 18:38 dj LiTh

I'm an american and was living in europe for the last 5 years. One of my family members is with verizon and got a brand new droid2global, and could get another free one /w a new plan (this was last year). Sent me the d2g and i popped in my euro sim card, worked like a charm. I believe the droid3 also has this compatibility gsm+cdma  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 8, 2011, 11:14 kanniballl

That's a tall order... all of the big companies in the US practically lock you in no matter what. Verizon phones only work on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile phones *can* interchange but you lose 3G (and higher), Sprint is (I think) only for Sprint, etc. Between GSM and CDMA, and the different GSM frequencies the different carriers use.

I don't know of any (or many) phones that bypass this.

My impression is the iPhone hardware handles the antenna for multiple carriers, so I guess that would let you switch and maintain decent speeds.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 8, 2011, 00:47 raVen

I think most everyone that was going to upgrade from 3g /3gs to a new one got an iPhone4.
For me, I went from an iPhone 3g to an Android phone. My brother on the other hand is upgrading to a 4s from a 3g.

Personally, I'm getting sick of getting locked to carriers for the life of my phones. I assume since the 4s will be able to be on 3 carriers that the hardware can do all the frequencies, and the software is the limiting factor. Otherwise it's silly design from a hardware standpoint. -- and a nightmare in manufacturing

Being locked to AT&T made me leave both the iPhone platform, and the carrier. It did however take a while to find a suitable replacement after my contract ended. I might consider an iPhone again if I could buy the phone completely and be able to chose my carrier from month to month.

Just my 2c.

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo