Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE

A new AMD Catalyst 11.10 Preview Driver Version 2 is now available, offering owners of AMD/ATI GPU-based graphics cards improvements and fixes for DICE's Battlefield 3 open beta and id Software's just-released RAGE (thanks LittleMe). They offer downloads for Windows Vista and Windows XP, and the following list of fixes:

• Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
  • Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on AMD CrossFire™ configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
  • Improves performance in Rage on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series and AMD Radeon HD 4000 series of products.
  • Reduces intermittent crashing seen loading levels in Rage
  • Resolves flickering of NPCs in Rage
  • Enables automatic Vsync for Rage
  • Enables support for AMD Eyefinity 5x1 display (portrait and landscape) configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
  • AMD Vision Engine Control Center: User Interface enhancements have been implemented for the AMD CrossfireX™, GPU AMD Overdrive™ and Information Center pages.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 03:06 El Pit

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 21:40:
In the incestuous world of PC hardware and software, it's not uncommon at all for devs to get drivers that are not even close to publicly available.

As John is on the OGL standards committee, I'm pretty sure he's given drivers way in advance of the public.

And it is clever to design a game to be run only with drivers that won't be publicly available?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 00:48 ^Drag0n^

LMAO  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

22. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 00:23 Creston

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 23:21:
Heh. Somehow I think Zenimax had a little bit to do with the QA/Ship date discussion...

Call me crazy

"What's this?"
"It's the Rage Xbox gold master. Carmack said it pops up properly if you put it in an Xbox."
"Oh okay. Ship it. What's next, whores?"

Creston

21. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 23:21 ^Drag0n^

Heh. Somehow I think Zenimax had a little bit to do with the QA/Ship date discussion...

Call me crazy

20. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 22:51 Creston

Krovven wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 21:40:
I'm done, submitting for a refund.

New drivers, and I still have missing textures. Now I even have to disable Triple Buffering in CCC otherwise the game crashes when pressing Enter on the title screen.

Sorry to hear that, Krov. This driver seems to have finally fixed all my issues for me. At least the ones that I found so far.

Creston

19. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 22:06 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 20:13:
I just wonder what the testing procedures were at id Software

*pops disc into Xbox*
Carmack: "Well, it comes up. Let's ship it! I have another interview to give in which I pretend that I'm going back to designing the best things I can for the PC, then scale down for the consoles."

Creston

18. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 21:40 ^Drag0n^

I don't know the full story but why weren't the AMD drivers that id Software tested the game on simply released with the game? Doing that would have prevented a lot of the problems and negative backlash. It just seems to be an incredibly poor way to do business, both for id and for AMD.

In the incestuous world of PC hardware and software, it's not uncommon at all for devs to get drivers that are not even close to publicly available.

As John is on the OGL standards committee, I'm pretty sure he's given drivers way in advance of the public.

17. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 21:40 Krovven

I'm done, submitting for a refund.

New drivers, and I still have missing textures. Now I even have to disable Triple Buffering in CCC otherwise the game crashes when pressing Enter on the title screen.

16. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 20:50 WaltC

To be fair, it's hard for AMD to compete when id Software builds in support for nVidia cards via-CUDA based GPU transcoding, while not communicating properly with AMD. I just wonder what the testing procedures were at id Software to overlook something so important, as they had months to get things right. Heck, the game was gold for a month before release.

I don't know the full story but why weren't the AMD drivers that id Software tested the game on simply released with the game? Doing that would have prevented a lot of the problems and negative backlash. It just seems to be an incredibly poor way to do business, both for id and for AMD.

Don't forget that the game was running almost as crummy on nVidia hardware--in fact, it was nVidia that officially released a tweaking FAQ to enable RAGE to run properly on their hardware, too. It doesn't appear that id software tested the game very much if at all on either nVidia or ATi hardware prior to release--which is why, along with the fact that RAGE is obviously a fairly sloppy console port, that I'm skipping RAGE--and I'll keep my gpu, thank ya' vera much...

I mean, if it was really a gang busters, once-in-a-century PC game release that ATi just couldn't handle for some odd reason (I've been running ATi since 2002 and haven't seen that happen yet), then *maybe* I could see dumping my gpu for something else. But RAGE? Heh...;) I'll pass.... I think I'd have to have my head examined for doing something like that.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

15. Re: Windows 7 Oct 7, 2011, 20:22 Krovven

Darth Guybrush wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 19:50:
The drivers are for Windows 7 AND Vista despite Blues post not mentioning it.

There are links for XP, Vista & Win7 drivers, all 3 OS's that Rage supports, so there was no point in mentioning it.

14. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 20:13 theyarecomingforyou

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 18:38:
It's too late, I've already switched back to a GTX 460. Runs RAGE buttery smooth with NO glitches at all and BF3 works fine, too, with the same beta drivers they released a couple weeks ago... This is like the fifth driver release AMD has made since then, very disappointing.
To be fair, it's hard for AMD to compete when id Software builds in support for nVidia cards via-CUDA based GPU transcoding, while not communicating properly with AMD. I just wonder what the testing procedures were at id Software to overlook something so important, as they had months to get things right. Heck, the game was gold for a month before release.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2011, 20:22.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

13. Windows 7 Oct 7, 2011, 19:50 Darth Guybrush

The drivers are for Windows 7 AND Vista despite Blues post not mentioning it.

Not sure to try them as just installed Witcher 2 (2.0).

12. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 19:41 eunichron

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 18:38:
It's too late, I've already switched back to a GTX 460. Runs RAGE buttery smooth with NO glitches at all and BF3 works fine, too, with the same beta drivers they released a couple weeks ago... This is like the fifth driver release AMD has made since then, very disappointing.

Indeed. My current 5870 is the first time I've bought anything but Nvidia since I bought a GeForce2 Ti to replace my 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 almost 10 years ago. It's a great card, when it works, but needless to say, I'll be going back to Nvidia when the new round of cards are released early next year.

11. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 19:40 Krovven

I'll be home inside the hour, and I'm gonna RAGE if these drivers don't fix the missing textures on my 4890.

10. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 19:32 theyarecomingforyou

Even though the Twitter page says that these aren't meant to provide any performance improvements over the previous release I'm actually finding that RAGE runs much better. Still lots of issues with texture pop-in and quality but a heap load better than before. And Crossfire support is apparently due next week, as they said they tried but couldn't get it in for these drivers.

I'll probably leave RAGE be until the first patch and Crossfire drivers. Not a good first impression.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

9. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 19:27 headkase

Jago wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 18:32:
I came across an old article that said the PC version of Rage would be shipping with mod tools.

Can anyone confirm this? If so, hopefully there will be some skilled modders fixing this seemingly broken game.

Level Editor and 64-bit .exe planned once everything settles down:

Source.

8. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 18:49 Mashiki Amiketo

Joss wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 17:55:
Ugh, that AMD site is a download trickle-fest.
http://www.guru3d.com/

Keep it bookmarked. If a site is being crappy because of whatever reason, guru usually has the preview/beta's anyway.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 18:39 Creston

Joss wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 17:55:
Ugh, that AMD site is a download trickle-fest.

? It downloaded at 12MB/s for me...

Jago, there are supposed to be Mod tools, but unlike what id promised, they're going to be made available 'soon.'

Creston

6. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 18:38 jacobvandy

5. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 18:36 Creston

Resolves flickering of NPCs in Rage

Fuck and yes.

Creston

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo