Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors

The creative staff behind L.A. Noire comprise the majority of creditors waiting for repayment from insolvent developer Team Bondi, reports GamesIndustry.biz (registration required). They quote the legal documents relating to the company's liquidation showing that 40 creditors are owed more than $1.4 AUD, and the staff are owned most of this, ranging from $1600 and $99,000. They also not that studio boss Brendan McNamara is also owed more than $102,000, while one of the few business still owed money is motion capture firm Depth Analysis, which was also co-founded by McNamara. Word is: "With the company being liquidated it's increasingly unlikely that staff will be repaid any significant percentage of the outstanding amount."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 8, 2011, 10:39 DG

Flatline wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 17:55:
Heh. Usually when there's issues the employees are the first to lose their paychecks.
Is this some US thing? In UK creditors are being told "cheque's in the post" and all that well before employees stop being paid.

Even if the company gets liquidated, if someone else has a fixed security they can take away that specific asset but otherwise employees are first in line to get money owed (including for any holidays not taken).

Bosses have equal standing with other staff - but only debts that related to them being an employee. If they have an investment and also are owed salary then only the salary gets preferential treatment.

Very surprised it's done differently elsewhere, since the basic rationale is that employees are not taking on risks & rewards of business and anyway the employee needs better protection since they do 100% of their trade, as it were, with the employer. That's some messed-up priorities if employees aren't at the front of the queue.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 18:14 theyarecomingforyou

finga wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 17:43:
Yep, huge failure, primarily on the part of the company's founder, Brendan McNamara. This documents some of it.
Yeah, the guy sounds like a complete prick. The money should go to everyone else before him, as he was the person most responsible for all the problems.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

21. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 17:55 Flatline

DG wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 17:32:
Fairly safe bet that employees not being paid knew chances are they'd never see any money. For any business the first people to get paid are staff.

It's not always stupid to keep on working for nothing; on the one hand you have the strong probability of nothing but on the other you have the certainty of nothing. Turn up at work and maybe get paid, maybe build CV, or have a lie-in and grow a beard.

When the employer is genuinely in trouble and not just taking the piss the sage advice isn't quite in the 20/20 focus you get with hindsight.

Heh. Usually when there's issues the employees are the first to lose their paychecks. Strangely, the bosses usually aren't. Unless you have really ethical bosses.

Company I worked for went under and stiffed me for several grand in back wages. I knew it was going to happen. I stayed on the job because of *my* work ethic. I was installing a network for a school, and could have walked. I didn't want to do that to the kids and teachers, so I stuck it out, not on the off chance I'd get paid, but because I wasn't going to walk out on clients who were relying on me and did nothing wrong.

20. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 17:43 finga

Quboid wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 16:40:
My guess is that Rockstar did the sensible thing - when Bondi came begging, they only contributed in exchange for something like equity, profit percentages or IP ownership. As Bondi had to come begging time after time, when the game was released Bondi had little profits to keep and no IP to develop or sell. Management fail.
Yep, huge failure, primarily on the part of the company's founder, Brendan McNamara. This documents some of it.

19. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 17:41 finga

I think 2K/Rockstar should man up and pay the developers what they're owed, even though it wasn't their problem to begin with. It'd really do a lot to help their image.

But fuck McNamara. He shouldn't be paid what he owes. From everything I've read about that guy, he may be half the reason that the game was so good, but he's also half the reason that these guys are out of jobs (along with plenty of others who quit, as the company had huge turnaround) and are owed so much cash in the first place.

Also, Blue, three typos in two sentences.

18. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 17:32 DG

Fairly safe bet that employees not being paid knew chances are they'd never see any money. For any business the first people to get paid are staff.

It's not always stupid to keep on working for nothing; on the one hand you have the strong probability of nothing but on the other you have the certainty of nothing. Turn up at work and maybe get paid, maybe build CV, or have a lie-in and grow a beard.

When the employer is genuinely in trouble and not just taking the piss the sage advice isn't quite in the 20/20 focus you get with hindsight.

17. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 16:40 Quboid

ViRGE wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 14:51:
How the heck does a studio that just recently developed a best selling AAA title go bankrupt?

My guess is that Rockstar did the sensible thing - when Bondi came begging, they only contributed in exchange for something like equity, profit percentages or IP ownership. As Bondi had to come begging time after time, when the game was released Bondi had little profits to keep and no IP to develop or sell. Management fail.

- Quboid

16. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 15:03 Beamer

ViRGE wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 14:51:
How the heck does a studio that just recently developed a best selling AAA title go bankrupt?

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/123360/insider-rockstar-team-bondi-split

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 14:51 ViRGE

14. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 14:37 Cutter

The first time you don't get money your owed alarm bells should be going off. Cres is right, you have to be stupid to keep working in that case. It doesn't matter how plausible sounding an excuse is if they can't pay you for your work something is dreadfully wrong.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

13. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 14:10 Prez

Wow, now THAT is shitty.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 12:59 Quboid

Only if the entity that you had the contract with still exists.  

- Quboid

11. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 12:56 Halo

AFAIK a verbal contract is as binding as a written. So even if you don't get your big return you should at least make sure to get your initial money back.  

10. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 12:28 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 12:08:
So what happens to all the money from the PC version of LA Noire? It would seem strange for it to all go to Rockstar, while the people that developed it get left high and dry.

It just seems a really strange situation.

It all goes to Rockstar, since IIRC there was no royalties provision for LA Noire. Rockstar coughed up the money to finish development of the game. Without them it would have never been released.

Creston

9. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 12:08 theyarecomingforyou

So what happens to all the money from the PC version of LA Noire? It would seem strange for it to all go to Rockstar, while the people that developed it get left high and dry.

It just seems a really strange situation.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 12:03 Creston

Alamar wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 11:40:

If only this were followed precisely, and everywhere...

I personally hate all those shitty indie games made by teams of people doing it because they love it, and only get paid if the game succeeds...

/sarcasm

-Alamar

An indie isn't really a typical salaried employee.

Hey, if you want to do something because you love it and run the risk of not getting paid, fine. It's your life, more power to you. Just don't start crying when the company goes bankrupt and then you don't get any money. Because if you wanted to get money, you shouldn't have accepted the I.O.U.

This doesn't seem that difficult a concept. I'll clarify my original statement a bit.

Creston

7. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 11:58 Beamer

Yeah, there are times to take an IOU.
The stronger rule is not to make concessions without taking concessions. If your boss tells you he can't pay you but is expecting a windfall soon you can continue working if you have faith that the windfall is coming and if you get a concession. If the boss offers to pay you double, or give you a cut of the windfall, etc., it's well worthwhile.

It's gambling, but if you know the risk and feel it's worth the reward then it's worthwhile. Plenty of people have made killings in startups because, when the money ran out and they couldn't be paid they instead worked for equity. had the Team Bondi employees done that they'd still have nothing. In other companies, though, they'd be rich.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 11:57 Quboid

That's a very different situation that you're trying to be sarcastic about. There is a difference between investing money in something you love and taking IOUs from your employer. When your employer does that, I'd say it's time to update your resume.

I don't know the situation here, but I've heard of a games developer going bust and leaving employees with big credit card debts. While I have sympathy for them, who the hell pays for something with their personal credit card because their employer can't afford it???!

I'm sure it's tempting when it sounds like a case of "$3000 for this will bridge the gap and allow us to finish the project and you'll get several times your money back" but all too often it's "$3000 for this and $3000 for that and $3000 for the other and it's still not enough, so we lose it all".

- Quboid

5. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 11:40 Alamar

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 11:00:
nin wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 10:51:
"With the company being liquidated it's increasingly unlikely that staff will be repaid any significant percentage of the outstanding amount."

THAT sucks.

Yep. Then again, if you take your boss' "oh, don't worry, I'll pay you once we get paid" bullshit at face value, you're basically running the risk of getting screwed.

Never, ever, EVER take an I.O.U., no matter WHAT industry you're in. Get PAID.

Creston

If only this were followed precisely, and everywhere...

I personally hate all those shitty indie games made by teams of people doing it because they love it, and only get paid if the game succeeds...

/sarcasm

-Alamar

4. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 11:28 RenownWolf

This is the same guy who was called out for being a "asshole" as many said in regards to his management practices.

No doubt many believed they would get paid because the game was commercially successful. Shame... it's the guys who actually do the work that get done over the most when the failure is at the top.

http://www.renownwolf.com

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo