Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming

"People like their PCs. There are huge numbers of them and each person gets to have the one that they like rather than the one that someone else has defined for them," CVG quotes Valve's Gabe Newell from the latest PC Gamer UK. "There were 350 million PCs sold last year so the economies of scale are tremendous so you get great value for money."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 11:55 Verno

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 06:21:
I truly believe that Gabe sometimes reads the comments at Bluesnews and says things like this just to flare up the console-hating crowd that dwells here.

Or Maybe he says it because the PC is a very lucrative market and he knows it will fire up the over-compensating console crowd here

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 11:11 Creston

Beamer wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 07:32:
Dev wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 20:24:
Exactly. Look at EA's financials. The PC segment meets or beats any other platform (such as xbox or ps3). PC is also more than 3 markets combined for them, DS, PSP, and mobile.

Yeah, and if you look at Volkswagen's profit line New Beetles with flower vases in the dashboard sold far more than Lamborghinis, but which would you rather drive?

A PC?

Creston

18. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 09:51 Frijoles

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 06:21:
I truly believe that Gabe sometimes reads the comments at Bluesnews and says things like this just to flare up the console-hating crowd that dwells here.

Doesn't he have a green tag here? I haven't seen a green in quite a while. Does Bluesnews not use that tag color anymore?

17. Re: Game Reviews Oct 7, 2011, 09:26 xXBatmanXx

CommunistHamster wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 21:28:
We need a big push for games with extremely modest sysreqs (and that aren't pavlovs dogshit, obviously). Everyone has a laptop, everyone's laptop can play deus ex or age of empires, assuming you have a mouse too.

Back in the day everyone had a desktop, and sure, you couldn't play the latest games at the highest resolution on it, but they were at least playable iirc. The average pc used to be more powerful before 300 laptops came along.

I hadn't thought about this for a while. But the conversations we have around here actually makes this a partially valid point. It is obvious that the multimillion dollar "AAA" titles sell well, but the quality is very lacking. There are numerous indie titles avail on any given download service that poeple spend countless more hours on than AAA title X that was released in the last 12 months. People are shelling out 60.00 for games that don't even work (RAGE), but continuing to do so at an alarming rate.

After some of the things going on, and speaking with some eople here the last few days, it will be a hard sell for me to buy a new title out of the gate. The problems, lack of content, price, headaches, and BS that goes with it - just isn't worth it. I had already scaled back after Brink, and now with RAGE, it just sealed the deal....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 08:47 InBlack

Dades wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 08:26:
Be quiet peasant, the industry knows best. They never make monumentally stupid errors or try to fuck with consumers.

Hahahaha Nod

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 08:26 Dades

Be quiet peasant, the industry knows best. They never make monumentally stupid errors or try to fuck with consumers.  

14. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 07:32 Beamer

Dev wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 20:24:
Exactly. Look at EA's financials. The PC segment meets or beats any other platform (such as xbox or ps3). PC is also more than 3 markets combined for them, DS, PSP, and mobile.

Yeah, and if you look at Volkswagen's profit line New Beetles with flower vases in the dashboard sold far more than Lamborghinis, but which would you rather drive?

If EA was selling more of their big releases on PC than on console where do you think they'd focus? For the games closest to the ones you want to buy they're selling more on consoles. For the games furthest they sell more on PCs.
The simple fact that they have such high PC revenues just shows that they haven't abandoned the PC market. They've just abandoned the hardcore there. Instead they kick out more games for people with integrated graphics. And do quite well with them. But for more intense games they do better on consoles.

Again, Dev, it amazes me that you think the people in charge of multibillion companies can't see facts that you pick out in a split second from a paragraph thousands of miles away.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 07:30 Viranth

Damnit, I thought he was going to announce Episode 3... harr harr.  

12. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 06:21 Fibrocyte

11. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 06:05 ZeroCougar

I like how he says it though. PC guys are the unique ones, each of our PC's are different, modified by us to our own liking. Were not defined by a single hardware setup. If you solely play on a console your letting an entire company define the kind of gamer you are. We make our own definitions on this side of the aisle.

Its nice language for cheering on the PC crowd.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

10. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 05:28 Kajetan

Kawlisse wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 23:33:
But but but ... they said PC gaming was dying !!!
Just wait until the new console generation is out.

3 - 2 - 1: THE PC IS DEAD! ALL HAIL THE NEW 720PS4-OVERLORD! FUCK YEAH!!!!

9. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 7, 2011, 01:49 LittleMe

Is this not a transparent self-promotion of STEAM and has little to do with their games? If Gabe believed his own words he would put his money and company where his mouth is and stop making multiplatform console games.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 7, 2011, 00:41 ^Drag0n^

Whew! Gotta lay off that Nanoproxil, mate...  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2011, 23:36 theyarecomingforyou

We need a big push for games with extremely modest sysreqs (and that aren't pavlovs dogshit, obviously). Everyone has a laptop, everyone's laptop can play deus ex or age of empires, assuming you have a mouse too.

Back in the day everyone had a desktop, and sure, you couldn't play the latest games at the highest resolution on it, but they were at least playable iirc. The average pc used to be more powerful before 300 laptops came along.
Go and check out places like Facebook then - you've got FarmVille, Treasure Isle, Angry Birds, Age Of Empires Online, etc. Obviously you're not going to get more demanding games running when many budget netbooks struggle to decode HD video feeds on YouTube.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 6, 2011, 23:33 Kawlisse

But but but ... they said PC gaming was dying !!!  

5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2011, 21:54 [VG]Reagle

I want to have gay sex with Gabe. And I am not gay. Is that soooooo wrong?

He has to be the smartest CEO on the planet. Everything it says is just right on. Ban this comment if you want. Shit I have been a troll here for 15 years and not got banned yet.

But Gabe RULES BITCHES.

CLICK THIS IF YOU GOT BALLS.....

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6yRpQrsaY[/url]

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2011, 21:40 Alamar

I haven't owned a laptop/notebook in 25 years... And yes, it was heavy.. and had two awesome colours... : )

-Alamar

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2011, 21:28 CommunistHamster

2. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 6, 2011, 20:43 Cutter

So why aren't you taking advantage of that with Half-Life 3, Gabe? WHY?!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming Oct 6, 2011, 20:24 Dev

Tip to id, you should at least allow the option of advanced video options, even if you auto detect. Then you can please both crowds who want zero config, and the ones who like to "have the one that they like" as gabe says.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo