Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming?

Microsoft is preparing to enter the cloud gaming realm pioneered by services like OnLive and Gaikai, according to a report on Electronic Theatre, where they say the service will launch next year (thanks Computer and Video Games). This seems to explain recent indications that the upcoming Windows 8 will incorporate some sort of Xbox LIVE functionality, as word is: "Designed to incorporate the industry-leading online videogames platform Xbox LIVE into all of Microsoft’s devices and software – including Windows Phone 7 and the forthcoming Windows 8 OS (tentative title) – the portal would allow videogames to be delivered across all formats in unison. Microsoft Studios has already seen minor success with regards to these types of application thanks to the likes of Full House Poker, an Xbox LIVE Arcade and Windows Phone 7 title that has proven to be a fertile testing ground, though things may be taken much further in the coming year." Here's a bit more:

Microsoft Studios intends to launch Xbox 360 games across all formats, allowing players to purchase the game once and continue playing on any device. This functionality was revealed prior to the launch of Windows Phone 7 with a handful of simple Xbox LIVE Arcade style games, however now it seems that Microsoft Studios intend to take things even further. Having recently announced cloud storage for Xbox 360 gamers, it seems likely that Microsoft Studios will make available a game streaming service, allowing Xbox 360 games to be played on console, smartphone, tablet or PC.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 7, 2011, 10:49 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 02:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 22:47:
Are they saying we can get 360 games on a PC, but they are streaming games (aka not really processing on our pc?). Or win8 will natively run 360 games? If it's the former, yawn.

Pretty sure they mean you can stream games from your Xbox 360 to another device for mobible gameplay. I really doubt you will be able to play Xbox games without an Xbox.

Yep exactly. It will have some dumb name like Xbox Live Zunebeam or something but that's pretty much what it will be. It will also be a nightmare of DRM and hassles, requiring device authorization and so on. Microsoft can't design a user flow to save their life.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 7, 2011, 07:40 gray

Jay wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 13:31:
Alamar wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:34:
Something like OnLive on a mobile device is not likely... Maybe never, but that's always a bad prediction....

Indeed. We are rapidly moving towards the next level of centralised computing. Everyone will have a thin client in their device of choice (phone, tablet, phablet) with services provided from Cloud systems. This is very desirable from companies point of view as they have complete control. This will continue until such a time as computing power develops to a point where the thin clients are as powerful as today's desktop systems where we could again see a move away from the centralised model. This would however depend on the ability of said companies to retain control in this environment. This shift can be seen in Windows 8 which is clearly geared towards Cloud services.

39. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 7, 2011, 02:05 StingingVelvet

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 22:47:
Are they saying we can get 360 games on a PC, but they are streaming games (aka not really processing on our pc?). Or win8 will natively run 360 games? If it's the former, yawn.

Pretty sure they mean you can stream games from your Xbox 360 to another device for mobible gameplay. I really doubt you will be able to play Xbox games without an Xbox.

38. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 22:47 HorrorScope

37. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 22:23 Creston

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 18:30:
The ridiculous part of this is that Cloud computing has nothing to do with how they are marketing it. In it's purest sense, the Cloud is nothing more than glorified web storage. What they are talking about is more of a Citrix for games thing. And if it is at all like my experience with citrix streaming performance, this is really setting up MS for a traffic accident.

If they called it Citrix Gaming, nobody would even look at it. Citrix is an unmitigated piece of shit—oh, it's great as long as it works; sadly, it works very rarely.

Creston

36. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 22:21 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:17:
OMG, I can't wait until I can play Xbox 360 games on my PC!

Oh wait, given the state of most ports, I already do that anyway.

Creston

Red Dead Redemption *runs off crying*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

35. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 18:48 StaTik

MS can cloud in one hand and shit in the other and see what hand fills up fastest.  

34. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 18:30 ^Drag0n^

The ridiculous part of this is that Cloud computing has nothing to do with how they are marketing it. In it's purest sense, the Cloud is nothing more than glorified web storage. What they are talking about is more of a Citrix for games thing. And if it is at all like my experience with citrix streaming performance, this is really setting up MS for a traffic accident.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2011, 18:48.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

33. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 17:52 Optional nickname

Ever since Intel opened their big mouths, about their next gen CPU containing 3D transvestite technology, and how it can be powerful enough to deliver streaming game content in 6 windows at once , of course you got the industries' left and right pockets (Microsoft and Google) vying to hand around in the clouds.

Every cloud has a silver lined ip address.

32. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 17:48 Creston

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 14:49:
Has anyone here actually used OnLive? It just seems to me that it would either be incredibly laggy, of low visual fidelity, or both. I can see high latency games on a platform like this, but nothing of the action vein.

If someone has experience with this, do tell.

It works. That's about all that can be sad about it. Despite the dude who runs it claiming that there is no lag, there is actually quite a lot of lag, and the visual quality is simply pathetic. Imagine having every game you play look like the shitty version of Rage so many people have seen over the last couple of days: That's Onlive.

For the privilege of playing shitty looking games with tons of lag, you get to pay: Exactly the same as someone who just buys the game on Steam!

HOW HAS THIS NOT TAKEN OVER THE ENTIRE WORLD YET???!!

In short: Fuck Onlive, Fuck Gaikai, and Fuck Cloud Gaming in general.
Oh, and fuck Microsoft.

/hugs his PC.

Creston

31. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 17:05 TheEmissary

I will not touch any cloud based gaming services until ISP's get an ounce of sense and either eliminate usage caps or set the caps high enough that no legitimate consumer will ever hit. I already walk a fine line with my usage between netflix, steam and other media heavy sites so adding another bandwidth consuming service is out of the question.  

30. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 16:01 StingingVelvet

Oh yeah, take those sub-720p and compressed Xbox games and add streaming into the equation. Awesome!  

29. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 15:07 Beamer

Has anyone here actually used OnLive? It just seems to me that it would either be incredibly laggy, of low visual fidelity, or both. I can see high latency games on a platform like this, but nothing of the action vein.

I can't imagine it's a good way to game, unless you're someone often traveling and bringing an underpowered laptop around.

Gaikai, though, I think could be great. If they can come up with a proper business model then having day-one demos with zero added work on the dev's part is brilliant. I know some use demos to see how a game runs on their system (after the issues I had with DN3D despite the demo running great I don't fully trust this method), but for those of us just looking to test out gameplay I think the lower graphical fidelity is a fine tradeoff for immediate demo satisfaction that requires no downloading or installing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 15:07 necrosis

Well the reviews I have seen say there is noticeable lag. It also is VERY bandwidth hungry.

27. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 15:07 Verno

I've spent some time with OnLive and if you're used to gaming on a laptop with Intel integrated graphics then it's an acceptable substitute. It's basically geared toward people who travel a lot or have shitty laptops as their only gaming platform. It's pretty bad if you're used to having any form of bells and whistles in games. The latency ranges from very tolerable to godawful, it really depends on the game.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

26. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 14:49 ^Drag0n^

25. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 14:38 DangerDog

If people are stupid enough to make cloud gaming take off and there's no more direct installs for games then I would take up a new hobby.

I'm not that worried though because technically there's no way in hell you can play multiplayer games over these services, they're just way too bandwidth hungry.

Unless there's some super secret plan to massively increase the internet bandwidth in the US that I'm not aware of, and if so it better be extremely affordable.

24. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 14:17 ^Drag0n^

They should just call it "Fog Gaming."  

23. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 13:36 Dev

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 13:30:
Dev wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 13:21:
Oh wait, so THIS is what MS has been talking about when they spout off every couple months about "rededicating" themselves to PC gaming! By bringing xbox to the PC.

Got it.

Not sure why you're talking about the PC.
I was being somewhat sarcastic.

But hey I'll address it. Because MS keeps saying it every couple months for a year or so now and I keep looking for signs that they might actually mean what they say. So far in news even distantly relating to MS and PC gaming this bit and the part about putting a fresh coat of paint on GFWL for PC has been the only significant things I've noticed.

And who knows, if MS goes through with this, they'll probably get a fair number of PC users trying it, and buying more controllers. They are likely doing it to try and push windows 8 too. They've done some funky stunts in the past to try and push the latest greatest windows with regards to games.

22. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 13:31 Jay

Alamar wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:34:
Something like OnLive on a mobile device is not likely... Maybe never, but that's always a bad prediction....

OnLive is scheduled for release on iOS and Android devices very soon (likely this year) along with bluetooth controller to address the very issue you mentioned.
Although I can't say how "mobile" the mobile devices are when you're carrying around a controller bigger than your device and likely need to prop it up somehow while gaming.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo