Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG

Cryptic's Neverwinter, announced last year as a co-op Dungeons & Dragons RPG, is still in the works following the developer's acquisition by Perfect World, but will now be a free-to-play MMOG, in keeping with the publisher's specialty. There's a preview of the new vision for the game on IGN, where they say the game is to be launched around the end of next year. Here's more:

In fact, it's shifting towards the action end of the MMO spectrum. Transferring a Dungeons & Dragons universe into an action setting might sound strange to D&D veterans, but it's been done before with some of the Baldur's Gate games. The 4th Edition of D&D also has some new rules that lend itself well to action games, which is exactly why Neverwinter is using 4th Edition as its ruleset.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 23:05 HorrorScope

Is this better? I love this idea! From an old fart.

Now I'm a lying old-fart.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 22:12 ColoradoHoudini

Cryptic = garbage.. or whatever is worse than garbage. Maybe the run off juice that falls from the back of a garbage truck.. that's my impression of that shallow game factory they call Cryptic.

24. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 19:56 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 19:44:
(Just stay off the goddamn lawn.)

ROIGHT!

23. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 19:44 Prez

Neverwinter Nights 3 please.

NiteX wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 17:11:
I always wondered why this site is called blues news. Talk about a bunch of depressing old farts.

Hey! We resemble that remark!! Anyway, glad you are here, ya greenhorn whippersnapper!! Welcome

(Just stay off the goddamn lawn.)

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

22. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 18:21 ^Drag0n^

space captain wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 17:57:
I always wondered why this site is called blues news. Talk about a bunch of depressing old farts.

awww, dont be sad...

dry your little eyes, buttercup

LMAO

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

21. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 17:57 space captain

awww, dont be sad...

dry your little eyes, buttercup

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 17:50 Cutter

Turns out one of the gaming stores not to far me runs Pathfinder sessions in their game rooms on Tues/Thurs so I'll have to check it out. The adventures look quite fun and the overall world looks interesting too. I just wish their was a virtual game table service that could make it easy to find a GM and people play with online. They really should make another NWN style game with this system though.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

19. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 17:46 Cutter

Hey, Kotaku called and they want your trolling back.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

18. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 17:11 NiteX

17. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 16:50 wtf_man

Cryptic Studios... a name that you can trust...

...to completely fail at making an MMO.

/Pass

16. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 16:24 ^Drag0n^

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 15:58:
I didn't think they could make this game less appealing than it already was. I was wrong.

Regrettably, I say that every year about the status of the gaming industry. :/

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

15. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 15:58 StingingVelvet

I didn't think they could make this game less appealing than it already was. I was wrong.  

14. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 15:25 Cutter

sauron wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:38:
Graham wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:18:
Pathfinder's new products are selling more volume on newer books, while D&D 4th hasn't released new source material in some time (outside of Neverwinter and the Magic Emporium).

Saying that it's outselling D&D is disingenuous; it's like when the PS3 started to "outsell" the Xbox years ago - per month figures were high, but there was a lot of catching up to do. Crunchy RPG wonks love their Pathfinder (and I enjoy it too) but it's nowhere near as popular as D&D, despite the controversy over 4th.

Yes, you're right with the figures but it's certainly selling well and is very popular. Great IP with a ton of interesting content, all it needs is to be matched with a smart developer. I'd much rather see that than yet another Neverwinter game - been done to death. Hell, even Dark Sun or (even better) Planescape. But PF Inner Sea would be a really new departure.

I actually tend to play d100 RPGs, I think Pathfinder is the only d20 game I've seen in the last ten years that actually made me sit up.

Admittedly I haven't PnP'ed in a long while, but I'm going to check this Pathfinder out. I've pretty much had it with WOTC at this point. They keep killing D&D by inches. It really is the death of a 1000 cuts. I wish someone would buy the IP and restore it once more.

Is anyone making a Pathfinder related CRPG?

13. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 15:19 JohnBirshire

Oh, wait, Cryptic is designing this?

Scratch this one off the list.

*and here I was, paying close attention to the Neverwinter setting in R.A. Salvatore's new Drizzt book released last week, for nothing*

12. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 14:40 Cutter

Fucking knew this was going to happen when PW took over. Fucking sigh! I guess Cryptic wants to go out of business because this game is now over before it began. I can't believe the knobs at WotC are fine with this!  

11. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 13:13 Fion

Well that sucks. 4e could fit into a Neverwinter game like no previous ruleset could simply because of it's heavy focus on bringing players a highly tactical, combat focused game. There hasn't been a solid D&D game in ages and not a single 'true' 4e one, which is a tragedy in and of itself.

For the record guys 4e initially sold more copies of it's core books than any ruleset since the early 80's and has produced a great deal of mass market appeal. It has slowed down lately but new books hits each month and some sell out rather quickly to the frustration of many. I've been playing since basic red box myself and it's easily my favorite ruleset since the start for when my group feels like playing a combat focused RPG there simply isn't a better one available today.

Oh and Tanto Edge, RPG'ers play World of Darkness. So lets hope the WoD game (an MMOG as well) is half as good as it could be. Even if it's old WoD.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2011, 13:29.

10. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 13:01 Tanto Edge

DnD 4th Ed is just a hack n slash game. Always was.

Neverwinter? Translating DnD system blah blah blah?
It's all lip service that's wholly unnecessary.
Nobody cares. We all know the score.

Besides, RPGers don't play DND 4th Ed. They play everything else, be it Pathfinder, Rifts, or the Fantasy Flight titles (Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, etc).

Board gamers however, love DND 4th Ed.

The last good DnD game? Temple of Elemental Evil.
After that, it was like a competition to see who could dumb the game down further.
Remember the XBox Baldurs Gate? Yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

9. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 12:47 Flatline

Pathfinder's new products are selling more volume on newer books, while D&D 4th hasn't released new source material in some time (outside of Neverwinter and the Magic Emporium).

Saying that it's outselling D&D is disingenuous; it's like when the PS3 started to "outsell" the Xbox years ago - per month figures were high, but there was a lot of catching up to do. Crunchy RPG wonks love their Pathfinder (and I enjoy it too) but it's nowhere near as popular as D&D, despite the controversy over 4th.

Compared to it's height at 3rd edition, 4th ed D&D has lost over half it's player base.

It honestly won't take much for pathfinder to surpass 4th edition.

8. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 12:44 Alamar

sauron wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:38:
I actually tend to play d100 RPGs, I think Pathfinder is the only d20 game I've seen in the last ten years that actually made me sit up.

I had a friend in HS that had a d100... Took like 5m to stop rolling... : )

-Alamar

7. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 12:38 sauron

Yes, you're right with the figures but it's certainly selling well and is very popular. Great IP with a ton of interesting content, all it needs is to be matched with a smart developer. I'd much rather see that than yet another Neverwinter game - been done to death. Hell, even Dark Sun or (even better) Planescape. But PF Inner Sea would be a really new departure.

Kittens!

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo