Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Red Dead Redemption

A Q&A session on the Rockstar Games Website addresses the frequent requests they've received for a PC edition of Red Dead Redemption, saying this is still not happening:

We hope that with the announcement that L.A. Noire is coming to PC this fall, and the knowledge that our next big game Max Payne 3 will have a PC release (plus that we’ve released both Grand Theft Auto IV and the Episodes from Liberty City for PC), we can finally put to rest any misconceptions that we’ve ‘abandoned the PC platform’. We do know that, yes, there is just one title absent from our PC release plans – that game of course being Red Dead Redemption, and of course we’re well aware that some fans have been asking for it. All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms. To PC gamers, we hope that between the Grand Theft Auto titles, and the forthcoming L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3, you’ll have plenty of great Rockstar action to enjoy.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 17:24 Dev

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 13:44:
Dev wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 13:30:
If game companies didn't think this, then why is the trend of delaying PC release until after console release becoming increasingly popular? Companies that do that think that the piracy rates and PC sales will cannibalize sales on consoles. Now usually the delays I've seen go from a week to a couple months, but in this case who knows?

Untrue. A few did this. Usually it's a resource issue.

I have no idea why you think you're so much smarter than people doing this for a living.
Resource issue? Yeah they CLAIM that, like 2k claimed they were doing PC specific tweaks and PC specific UI work was the reason borderlands didn't come out on PC simultaneously. But they didn't actually seem to do any of that on the PC for the release.
And if the resources were the reason, we'd see the PC one come out first in too sometimes, but its pretty rare to see that. One reason why, because console games after being finished have to go through MS and Sony processes before they can be released, which adds delay to the game. There's no such central authority for PC games, so that's one delaying factor absent for PC release.

And if people on blues trusted game companies to be the authority on things, there'd be no reason they'd debate things such as in this thread. Or heck, even debating the auto-config problems in Rage. Surely the company did some testing and saw how crappy the auto config stuff was with rage? Yet they decide to release it anyway.

My guess on what happened is devs got overrode on delaying the release by marketing, since the console versions were all set and they didn't want to push the release closer towards the more crowded christmas season (including another title from the same company, skyrim).

And do I think I'm smarter than some of the boneheaded people who are in game marketing? Heck yeah.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2011, 17:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 13:44 Beamer

Dev wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 13:30:
If game companies didn't think this, then why is the trend of delaying PC release until after console release becoming increasingly popular? Companies that do that think that the piracy rates and PC sales will cannibalize sales on consoles. Now usually the delays I've seen go from a week to a couple months, but in this case who knows?

Untrue. A few did this. Usually it's a resource issue.

I have no idea why you think you're so much smarter than people doing this for a living.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 13:30 Dev

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 12:19:
How, exactly, does a PC release prevent milking on the console?

Does releasing a $50 PC version suddenly mean that $10 DLC stops selling?
I don't get the leap you're making here.
I don't think it does, but it doesn't matter what I think in this case, it only matters what game companies think, and obviously game companies think it does.

Text for your Link
Well this is interesting, a GotY version for consoles is coming out in... 4 days.
And the interview was done just recently. I think its the timing of the interview vs the release that has them saying that. They also may well have decided to port LA Noire first before RDR, since I don't think LAN sold as well as they expected on consoles and want to make up some of it on PC.

I'm guessing/hoping that we may see work on a port of RDR for next year release.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2011, 13:44.

49. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 13:11 Verno

Elessar wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:03:
Pretty much this. It makes not sense that they'd skip RDR and release stuff before and after it. It's almost like they're doing it on purpose to hurt me.

Yep, this is the one Rockstar game where I really wanted the PC version. If they had announced it at $80, I would have paid gladly. The game represents so much potential but it's wasted on the consoles.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

48. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 12:19 Beamer

How, exactly, does a PC release prevent milking on the console?

Does releasing a $50 PC version suddenly mean that $10 DLC stops selling?
I don't get the leap you're making here.

-------------

47. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 12:01 Elessar

Dev wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:22:
Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:08:
Odds are the engine was heavily modified and would take a bunch of work to get onto PCs. No other real reason why this would be the only one they skip.
necrosis wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 10:27:
So they are (possibly) releasing a game that has "meh" reviews and not one that has stellar reviews.

Logic is lost.
Or it could be the reason I mentioned, that they don't think they've milked it enough on consoles yet.
I hope this is the case. That leaves opportunity to keep milking until the teet is dry, then they can release it on PC. Hell, I've waited this long.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

46. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 11:22 Dev

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:08:
Odds are the engine was heavily modified and would take a bunch of work to get onto PCs. No other real reason why this would be the only one they skip.
necrosis wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 10:27:
So they are (possibly) releasing a game that has "meh" reviews and not one that has stellar reviews.

Logic is lost.
Or it could be the reason I mentioned, that they don't think they've milked it enough on consoles yet.

45. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 11:08 Beamer

Elessar wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:03:
Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 00:26:
Well SHIT, Rockstar. The ONE frakking game of yours that SCREAMS for a PC version, both for the 9000000000000000000000000 times more powerful graphics and for being able to actually AIM, and you don't make a PC version of it.

I am disappoint.

Creston
Pretty much this. It makes not sense that they'd skip RDR and release stuff before and after it. It's almost like they're doing it on purpose to hurt me.

Far and away their best game, in my opinion, but I absolutely loved this game and kind of hated GTA4, so...

-------------

44. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 11:03 Elessar

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 00:26:
Well SHIT, Rockstar. The ONE frakking game of yours that SCREAMS for a PC version, both for the 9000000000000000000000000 times more powerful graphics and for being able to actually AIM, and you don't make a PC version of it.

I am disappoint.

Creston

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

43. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 10:30 Groucho

I am a middle aged guy and a huge western fan. From my experience I have found that the majority of western fans are my age or older having grown up in a time when westerns were more popular. I would also say that most of the people I know that are my age still prefer to play games on the PC vs. consoles.

I would definitely buy this game if it was ever released for the PC but since it doesn't look like it will be, I will most likely borrow it from a friend that has finished it an offered to lend it to me.

Simply put, Rockstar is missing out on sales and will not be making a dime from people like myself (which I believe there are many) by ignoring the platform (PC)and fan base that a game of this genera would really appeal to.

42. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 10:27 necrosis

Logic is lost.

41. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 10:22 Joss

Hah! Funny Joe. These open-world shooters have something magical about them... it's called REPLAY VALUE and I replayed the hell out of GTA IV. Head-butting biker dudes in the poring rain with appropriate dialog feedback was priceless.

So yeah, hop it up RockStar.

40. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 09:55 JoeNapalm

I can only hope that this is some sort of "New Coke" marketing BS and they're really already working on it.

RDR is, hands down, the best game they've ever done. Hell, my WIFE would ask me "are you going to play more of that cowboy game?" because she enjoyed simply watching the storyline...this from someone who's gamer cred includes only TETRIS.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

39. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 09:22 Lorcin

I don't assume all non-English speakers will not buy the game - but I also don't assume all English speakers will.

Aside from that - I really don't care. I tried to rational some of the reasons they may have made making this decision but your clearly not interested in why - your just having a bit of a temper tantrum.

38. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 08:22 InBlack

Lorcin wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 07:24:
InBlack wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 04:20:

And this is why we the customers suffer because of some BULLSHIT argument by a marketing "knowhow". Out of which fucking asshole did you pull out those numbers you cretin?

The films are all this new fangled thing called hyperlinks which you can click on and takes you to a new page.

And the Steam hardware survey is Here.

The Rockstar Q&A even says "whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise)". Obviously it is technically and developmentally viable so they must have decided on a business level they wouldn't make a profit.

So climb out of your pram and pick up your toys - your not getting to play Cowboys and Indians.

BTW I rented it on PS3 over here - but hugely struggled with the whole Western setting.

Yeah because movie markets are comparable to video games, and those figures must be accurate. Your comparison of modern western Films of great acclaim to consumerish blockbuster rubbish ALSO STANDS. Not to mention the Steam figures, from which you somehow EXTRAPOLATE to the percentage, and assume that everyone who does NOT speak english is somehow excluded from enjoying and knowing anything about western settings and will NOT buy the game.

Ok so you struggled with the western setting, gosh! Im from eastern Europe, a non english speaking (used to be communist) country and I heard about John Wayne long before I heard about Stalin, Lenin and Marx.

While you are right that this is a business decision, you have failed to convice me or anyone else here that it is a right decision or that it has any basis in reality. Especially since every other game that they have made has made it to the PC.

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 07:54 Dev

"business-wise" is the only decision on that list that makes any sense in this decision. And I think its more because they think its not milked out on consoles yet than because they think they can't sell it on PC. Notice how fast LA Noire is coming out on PC vs the consoles? I think they decided they made most of the potential console sales on that already.  

36. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 07:24 Lorcin

InBlack wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 04:20:

And this is why we the customers suffer because of some BULLSHIT argument by a marketing "knowhow". Out of which fucking asshole did you pull out those numbers you cretin?

The films are all this new fangled thing called hyperlinks which you can click on and takes you to a new page.

And the Steam hardware survey is Here.

The Rockstar Q&A even says "whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise)". Obviously it is technically and developmentally viable so they must have decided on a business level they wouldn't make a profit.

So climb out of your pram and pick up your toys - your not getting to play Cowboys and Indians.

BTW I rented it on PS3 over here - but hugely struggled with the whole Western setting.

35. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 07:16 xXBatmanXx

bummer. Was probably one of the best games on the console in recent memory. I still jump in the game and ride around. Even the multiplayer is actually fun.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

34. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 07:00 InBlack

Im guessing they arent doing it because the head of their marketing department has devined from the Marketing Ether that Western games will not sell well on the PC. And His word is Law.  

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 05:44 eRe4s3r

You couldn't be more wrong, there is exactly 0 western games on PC, so it would still sell like hot-cakes and probably reach about 500k sales, for a game thats already developed and paid for, that would mean 20 million dollars pure profit minus the laughable cost for adapting it properly to PC (not above 2 or 3 million)

Ok, thats guesstimates and all.. but Rockstar is doing this purely to spite PC gamers, and not for financial reasons.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo