Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on RAGE Tweaking

The Bethesda Softworks Forums have all sorts of tweaks and tips for the Windows PC edition of RAGE, id Software's new first person shooter. Also, an update to the article on GeForce.com about unlocking higher resolution textures in RAGE hears from NVIDIA engineers, who share "new information about GPU Transcoding variables that can increase your frame rates, improve in-game visual fidelity, and reduce texture streaming issues." Unlike the first part of the article mentioned earlier, much of what's discussed in the update is specific to NVIDIA GPUs.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 7, 2011, 07:36 Mordecai Walfish

Intentionally sadistic iD games? The horror! ^_^  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 7, 2011, 06:39 Eldaron Imotholin

So, in short:

This engine is crap and made by senile men.

Not surprised, though. This game had "CRAP!" written all over it already, with seeing the footage. There was something off about it that I couldn't put my finger on, now I realise it's not only the gameplay that's so 2006 but also the hilariously retarded engine.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

25. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 7, 2011, 05:31 eRe4s3r

That is just completely wrong, modern day games (without pointless mega-texture) use vast "extended" tileable textures that are made at resolutions of 4kx16k or even more than that (and then reduced and cut into proper tiles for games) - variation is introduced in each tile so that they can be re-arranged and switched around, detail variations are created for specific level sections (which can be put together in any order)

This means that "pointless" rooms can be detailed with an incredible sharp well made texture while important rooms are fully detailed with the full extend of all tileable textures including layers of dirt and decals.

That means rooms that with mega-textures have been given a whopping 80 pixels of colors, and i am not even joking with that, could have been made just as dark but with 3 or 4 full 2048x2048 tileable textures (and you'd never even notice it) except it at all times would be so sharp that you could count the pebbles in the concrete

The difference? Well oh boy, the difference is that your 6 tileable textures are INSTANCED that means they use vram exactly once. Instead you have the "oh so mighty" megatexture vasting hundreds of megabytes of memory for every unimportant room, for every blurry doohickey and for every blurry ass vending machine again and again.

Also what megatexture also can't do is racking up resolution on things that are often in your face, like the wall in front of you or the floor in "high importance" hubs. In Rage that wall and floor is always a blurry mess, in other games (notable BF3 beta, or Crysis 2) that room has an extremely sharp high-res, if tileable and reused texture. But at least it ain't blurry.

Secondly mega textures can't do destruction or dynamic terrain modifications (like the craters in the BF3 beta or in BC2..)

Thirdly, mega textures can not do sun and night cycles, because AO and (large scale) shadows are baked in. Thats also why they can't do destruction, any modification of the geometry would break the texture.

The only thing superior about mega texture is its obsolescence. As you correctly noticed, half the game looks like a Matte painting in distances, and in those situations thats EXACTLY what could have been used instead, if the Matte paintings in say games like ME2 were just twice that res they would be extremely sharp, and more importantly indistinguishable from actual background geometry.

The only thing mega-texture does well is terrain, except that terrain is static and that means this engine was already "last generation" before BC2 came out.

24. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 23:10 swaaye

I love how people come to bitch about having quicksave/quickload and other people come to bitch when there are checkpoints, and some come to bitch when there are obvious checkpoints or not enough checkpoints.

But hey if people aren't bitching, you've clearly done something very wrong because you must be being ignored.

The megatexture tech is certainly controversial but you guys are blind if you don't see the advantage to having artists be able to paint whatever the hell they want instead of tiling duplicate textures. The game looks like a friggin matte painting half of the time. The problem is that we don't have enough RAM to run their full resolution work. Or game distribution methods to get that terabyte of data to us for that matter. Just tweaking what we got here will fill up a 1.5 TB card's RAM and cause endless bitching about a ~22GB Steam download.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2011, 23:19.

23. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 12:34 space captain

it isnt that big of a deal how shitty id's new engine is... supposedly they wont license it out anyways  
Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 11:40 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 10:00:

That said, with the tweaks i have now to admit that the far-view looks incredible cool, but up-close the illusion falls apart so utterly, that calling this games graphics technology a revolution is like calling Half-life 1 beautiful. For the record, no section of Half-Life 1 was ever so blurry, and that game is from 1997...

Yeah, I hope this megatexture thing goes the way of the dedicated physics card. Ie, DIES A QUICK DEATH.

Just Cause 2 maxed out looks just as beautiful for remote scenery, and it looks beautiful up close too. Oh, and you can actually GO to all those areas you're seeing, rather than run into an invisible wall five feet ahead like you do in Rage.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Carmack just made a "meh" engine. It runs fine, it looks fine, but if this is the "future", then the future of gaming took a big step back.

I like the game, don't get me wrong. I'm just not that impressed with the engine. (even though after two days of tweaking I finally got it to look like the screenshots and to run well.)

Creston

21. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 10:00 eRe4s3r

And whats exactly on whom i push lazy off, the entire point of games is to have fun, if i am supposed to hit F5 (which causes a considerably slow saving process) all the time then that is bad game design. Heck, not autosaving before the boss room (which is not clearly marked as such) is not only bad game-design that is intentional sadistic.

Even with F5 i never felt to be in danger there so why save, autosaves should do sequential saves, thats what they exist for. And that boss battle by the way, is entirely cheesy ^^

That said, with the tweaks i have now to admit that the far-view looks incredible cool, but up-close the illusion falls apart so utterly, that calling this games graphics technology a revolution is like calling Half-life 1 beautiful. For the record, no section of Half-Life 1 was ever so blurry, and that game is from 1997...

20. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 09:44 theyarecomingforyou

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 08:38:
Many games only autosave when you enter a new territory.

You have the F5 button. Funny how you push 'lazy' off on the developers.
All modern games auto-save at sensible points. For instance, in Deus Ex: Human Revolution you often get auto-saves for new buildings, as if it only saved each time you changed city (like RAGE apparently does) then you'd lose hours of progress. If gamers rely on the quicksave button then it takes away all the tension - people tend to overuse it, which takes out all the tension.

Regular auto-saves have become so ubiquitous that I often don't even think of saving when I start playing a game. The last thing I'd want would be to lose an hour of progress, as I'd be pretty annoyed.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2011, 09:59.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 08:50 headkase

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 08:44:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 01:58:
Glad nVidia is stepping up to the plate so quickly and helping their customers out. I am lucky to have had a pretty seamless experience with RAGE so far, and am honestly enjoying iD's newest quite a bit.. now if you'll excuse me I'ma go RAGETweak! ^_~

Agreed on all points - I'm having a good time. I'm 10 hours in and I believe I just finished the Dead City. I saw the review from the guy who played it through twice at roughly 9 hours and all I can think is he must really have A.D.D. or was trying to bull his way through so he could have something to say in his article. So silly.

Slow down and enjoy the game - it's quite good.

And I third this comment. I'm having a blast with RAGE and have done enough graphical tweaks that it looks pretty darn good.

18. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 08:44 Fibrocyte

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 01:58:
Glad nVidia is stepping up to the plate so quickly and helping their customers out. I am lucky to have had a pretty seamless experience with RAGE so far, and am honestly enjoying iD's newest quite a bit.. now if you'll excuse me I'ma go RAGETweak! ^_~

Agreed on all points - I'm having a good time. I'm 10 hours in and I believe I just finished the Dead City. I saw the review from the guy who played it through twice at roughly 9 hours and all I can think is he must really have A.D.D. or was trying to bull his way through so he could have something to say in his article. So silly.

Slow down and enjoy the game - it's quite good.

17. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 08:38 Fibrocyte

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 05:37:
Yeah, nothing like dieing in the bad/dead city against a boss only to discover that the "checkpoint" was made when you entered it, which was easily 1 hour ago.

Laziest game design ever.

Many games only autosave when you enter a new territory.

You have the F5 button. Funny how you push 'lazy' off on the developers.

16. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 08:08 Eldaron Imotholin

Thank god I didn't preorder this game.

I pirated it simply to check it out (mostly use pirated versions as demos, for the record) and it doesn't only look like shit, it's also riddled with invisible walls and the combat just feels heavily unsatisfying and bland.

Animations are alright.

Pissing my pants for Skyrim..

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

15. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 05:49 Viranth

I upgraded the tires to the "best" in wellsprings. It seems to have a bit more traction and doesn't lose it's grip as with the starter tires. It has spikes, but haven't had the chance to cut down anything with them yet.

14. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 05:37 eRe4s3r

Yeah, nothing like dieing in the bad/dead city against a boss only to discover that the "checkpoint" was made when you entered it, which was easily 1 hour ago.

Laziest game design ever.

13. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 04:32 Nameless One

SirKnight Wrote: on Oct 5, 2011, 21:23:

Looks like they aren't kidding that you need A LOT of video ram to have 16K texture page tables. My 460 SLI (each has around 700-something MB) gave me the finger.

ATI & Nvidia still seem to be failing to communicate effectively that with SLI & Crossfire textures are duplicated across all GPUs used, the VRAM isn't shared from one card to the next
(and how could it be? it could work for multiple GPUs on the same card though if they do/have done that). From a texture usage perspective it doesn't matter if you had four of those
460s or just one, you have roughly 768MB of VRAM to allocate. You can't even use the 8k textures with that if as they suggest you need >= 1.5GB.

Forced to used the high resolution textures my old 2GB HD4870 could (and probably would) stomp on a quad SLI setup of those 460s (relatively speaking, and ignoring problems such as texture popping ).

12. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 04:03 headkase

RAGE is obviously geared towards console controllers. I'm playing it on PC with an Xbox 360 controller. It's perfect and I really do prefer the controller too! Looking at the menus and seeing people driving with keys you know the controller came first.

11. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 02:55 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 23:51:
Yea I know about that guys *fix* from the Steam forums. There are also a lot of people saying they have major game stability problems after following his suggestions.

Probably people without the VRAM for the settings they alter. No issues here on my GTX 480 with the tweaks, game looks much better.

10. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 02:40 entr0py

+vt_pageImageSizeUnique 8192
+vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly 8192
+vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 8192

Those are working quite well on my 1 gig AMD card. It's still a pain in the ass that they didn't include proper menu options, and the automatic options make some bad choices. But the game makes up for it once you've gone to the work of optimizing it.

9. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 01:58 Mordecai Walfish

8. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 00:32 Rendris

The game is growing on me. It just took getting a few minor graphics issues worked out and a little getting use too since it is a bit different.

As for the driving, have you upgraded tires or suspension yet? I found with just a set of tires the car became a lot more controllable and the combat became was more fun. Although I do agree steering with the key board sucks.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo