Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Interview

Ars Technica's RAGE review is online, giving id's just-released shooter a pretty good savaging. There's also an interview on Gamasutra on "The Creative Intent of Rage," discussing RAGE with id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead and artist Andy Chang and asking some pointed if not hostile questions about it being similar visually to Borderlands and Fallout, the oddly artistic bandits, its linearity, the lack of meaningful choices, the main characters lack of dialog or context, and more. Thanks ^Drag0n^.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

42. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 07:05 Overon

Wow, now that is how you conduct an interview. You ask real meaningful questions. Typically the questions that are asked are designed to draw out standard talking points that promote the game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 06:06 Ventura

John Carmack has openly admitted to the shortcomings of the engine. He did this before the game was even released.

It's no wonder they're no longer licensing out their engines.

Face it guys, like the Blizzard of old, iD are very much dead. The writing was on the wall back at Doom 3, and from the sounds of things, Rage is the nail in the coffin.

Goodbye, old friend. Thanks for Doom 1, Doom 2, and Quake 1. I'll miss you.

40. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 05:41 Dmitri_M

The texture resolution problem irks me with console ports. Dead Space for instance where the engine could handle higher resolution textures but the developers didn't work towards a standard that looks good on PC monitors, rather settling for a lower resolution that looks good enough on a television 2 meters from you while playing on a console.

However, Dead Space was a really good game. So I could overlook the console caused issues. ID beyond providing fantastic framework for multiplayer have never been good at creating truly compelling games. Unless you're happy with mid 90s doom style corridor shooting in 2012.

The technicalities don't irk me as much as the bland nature of the game highlighted in many reviews.

I have too many unplayed purchased titles that actually look fun. I think this will be the first ID game I skip purchasing. Sad since I have so many good ID related memories from my youth.

39. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 05:27 Icewind

Viranth wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 04:13:
I've bought several games on steam, and some works great but others have problems. Usually it's because of steam.

I haven't checked the forums at steam, but how many users are we talking about compared to those who don't have problems? 1-10%? From my experience, many of those who complain at those forums are not the sharpest tool in the box...

And there are a lot of variables here, drivers, hardware etc. I've seen some complain it doesn't run on their onboard intel graphics card, so yeah...

You're over-simplyfying things just to prove your non-existent point.

It's easy to pass them all off as "not the sharpest tools" because they are caught in the throes of anger, but only someone eager to white knight iD Software would do that. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see that this game was a shoddily thrown together port. Just look at the evidence.

As for the Intel integrated chip comment, I don't think so. I've been reading these boards (Steam & the mother of failure, Gfaqs) for 2 days now and haven't heard anyone say that...give PC gamers more credit than that. You're using strawman tactics.

The fact is that people expected something from Id that not only played decently but ran decently and they received something that was the FPS equivalent of Ultima 9. A launch of disastrous proportions that has done more damage to Id's name and reputation than even DOOM 3's black hole rooms of darkness did.

Steam doesn't lock options from appearing in the GUI, Steam doesn't cause textures to load or fail to load, Steam doesn't lock the FOV, Steam doesn't do anything other than provide a launchpad for a game to run. Similar to Xfire or Raptr. So to blame Steam is like blaming your work desk for your PC getting a BSOD.

tl;dr: Remove your head out of your butt, now.

38. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 05:24 Jerykk

Viranth wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 04:13:
I've bought several games on steam, and some works great but others have problems. Usually it's because of steam.

I haven't checked the forums at steam, but how many users are we talking about compared to those who don't have problems? 1-10%? From my experience, many of those who complain at those forums are not the sharpest tool in the box...

And there are a lot of variables here, drivers, hardware etc. I've seen some complain it doesn't run on their onboard intel graphics card, so yeah...

When these issues are news headlines, it's not obviously not affecting just a minority of users. John Carmack has openly admitted to the shortcomings of the engine. He did this before the game was even released.

The Car Combat? Well, fighting bandits reminds me 100% of playing Interstate '76 back in the late 90's, still to this day my favorite car combat game. And this as close as anyone has come, so i love the car combat as well, if only there was a Car Deathmatch mode instead of just combat racing. I'd probably spend an entire year dedicated to playing that just like I did I'76.

From what I've seen and read, the vehicular combat in RAGE has more in common with Twisted Metal than I'76. I'76 was known for being a more realistic, sim-ish take on the genre. It had relatively realistic vehicle handling, locational damage, deep customization, etc. RAGE seems to be much more arcadey and simplistic.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2011, 05:29.

37. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 05:11 Dmitri_M

Steam does not alter texture resolution.  

36. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 04:13 Viranth

35. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 03:47 Krovven

Viranth wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 03:40:
but I'd be surprised if they encountered problems with the official version.

Really? Head in the sand much? Try checking the Steam forums.

34. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 03:40 Viranth

People have been playing with the leaked game, warez if you will. There you don't get the installer and have to use fixes and patches to make it run. Don't know about the retail version, but I'd be surprised if they encountered problems with the official version.  

33. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 03:38 Viranth

I like the game a lot, it's been a while since I've really enjoyed a game like this. ID CAN still make good games, sure there are some technical issues, but they can be tweaked and for me it runs pretty well with default settings, using 2600k and gtx580.

The small towns I've encoutered this far seems good and alive, missions are good and the story is good enough for me. I don't know what peoeple expected, but the hype sure got the better of them.

The RPG elements works fine, and since I like straight up shooters more than heavy RPG games, it suits me perfectly.

The smeared graphics isn't a big issue, I expected the game to look a lot worse than what it does, and there will probably fixes for that later. I'm sure the engine can handle that...

It seems that ID is getting a lot of heat because this wasn't the messiah of games some people expected, but it stands tall along the rest of the good games on the market, so try the game out, it's worth the price. There will be mods, the multiplayer is fun and the singleplayer is good as well.

Oh, and the car racing&driving is fun, it's not a simulator, but once you get guns on the buggies it's a blast.

32. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 03:34 ^Drag0n^

space captain wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 01:49:
do i like it when people ask themselves questions and then immediately answer them?

eh, its ok

Is this a classic post by the captain?

Oh, you bet. Solid.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

31. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 03:29 theyarecomingforyou

It's very rare for a game to be so divisive amongst critics. I typically respect both Ars Technica and Gametrailers for reviews, yet they are poles apart when it comes to RAGE.

I think the biggest surprise is the amount of issues that people are coming across, some as basic as a folder not being created that prevent the game caching files properly. I mean, people on forums are posting tweaks that dramatically improve performance and visual quality. How the fuck do random people that have only had access to the game for a few hours come out with tweaks that the developers couldn't? Especially well Carmack touted that this game would auto-config itself and didn't need settings.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

30. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 02:06 Trevellian

eunichron wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 01:55:
I said it almost a decade ago when Doom 3 was in development, and I still stand by it; id doesn't make games anymore, they make glorified tech demos. I don't know why anyone bothers to expect a developed story, world, and characters from them at all. Buy their games if you want to see efficient engines with flashy graphics, if you want solid gameplay and a well constructed narrative, look elsewhere.

This has solid gameplay, and I like the story just fine. It isn't any worse narrated than COD which wins game of the fucking year every time it comes out, in fact it's better. So no, I won't look elsewhere.

If you haven't played the game and go on Ars Technica's really bitter and one sided point of view, then you really have no right to an opinion on the game. Honestly.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

29. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 01:55 eunichron

I said it almost a decade ago when Doom 3 was in development, and I still stand by it; id doesn't make games anymore, they make glorified tech demos. I don't know why anyone bothers to expect a developed story, world, and characters from them at all. Buy their games if you want to see efficient engines with flashy graphics, if you want solid gameplay and a well constructed narrative, look elsewhere.  

28. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 01:49 space captain

do i like it when people ask themselves questions and then immediately answer them?

eh, its ok

Go forth, and kill!

27. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 01:22 Illumin

I like Rage. Is it the best game ever? No... Does it have some flaws yep a few like guys that lean out to shoot they lean out like a mile, and the voice's of the bandits say the same stuff very often. But there's a good suspense, the graphics are nice.

I'm not big on games that are liner which this definatly isn't open world but its not to bad. I would definatly compare it to borderlands. It's bit harder and the graphics are better.I actually like it better than borderlands.

26. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 01:11 Stolk

The interviewer is just being a smartass. Play 2 hours of the game and then ask generic questions that make fun of gamey elements of many games but in this case are pointed at RAGE since he just played "so much" RAGE and clearly didn't care much for it. It's a non-story of one dude trying to be funny.

I've had little nitpicks here and there, but damn the combat is fun and of course it sure is pretty.

25. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 01:10 Bhruic

There are ways to word those same questions (and get similar answers) without being so disagreeable.

Give an example of any question that was "disagreeable". Because I don't see any.

id tried to get away with unrealistic answers to the easy questions and got called on them. I mean, really, they actually said that Rage "doesn't look like any other game". And when called on it, they fall back on technical features, and try to pretend that those are relevant (because they notice them).

Or how they claim that the game has meaningful choices because you can decide whether or not to buy ammo.

If you're going to try and spin your game that hard, it's nice to see at least one person not buy the BS, and call them on it.

24. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 00:22 Trevellian

Ars can suck my wang. I love this game. The combat feels brutal and accurate and at the same time is fun.

The Car Combat? Well, fighting bandits reminds me 100% of playing Interstate '76 back in the late 90's, still to this day my favorite car combat game. And this as close as anyone has come, so i love the car combat as well, if only there was a Car Deathmatch mode instead of just combat racing. I'd probably spend an entire year dedicated to playing that just like I did I'76.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

23. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 00:09 Acleacius

Damn, FINALLY someone trying to hold id to a higher standard.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo