Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases

Robot Entertainment announces pre-purchases are now underway on Steam for Orcs Must Die!, their action/strategy game that's due for release on October 12th. This comes with a bonus, as word is: "Pre-purchase before October 12th and receive the Steam Exclusive 'Knight of the Order' costume!" A playable demo is also now available for the game through Steam, offering a chance to check it out firsthand. Here's word on the game:

Slice them, burn them, skewer them, and launch them - no matter how you get it done, orcs must die in this fantasy action-strategy game from Robot Entertainment.

As a powerful War Mage with dozens of deadly weapons, spells, and traps at your fingertips, defend twenty-four fortresses from a rampaging mob of beastly enemies, including ogres, hellbats, and of course, a whole bunch of ugly orcs. Battle your enemies through a story-based campaign across multiple difficulty levels, including brutal Nightmare mode!

Will you roast orcs in pits of lava, pound them flat with a ceiling trap, or freeze and shatter them with a slash? No matter the weapons and traps you choose, you’re sure to have an orc-killing blast!

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 5, 2011, 16:35 Dev

bigspender wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 22:22:
NEEDS CO-OP! (you are all probably sick of me saying that about every game, but this one is screaming for co-op)
Keep an eye on dungeon defenders then, it has co-op (both local and regular)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/65800

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 5, 2011, 09:28 SpectralMeat

Game is out on the xbox.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 5, 2011, 07:27 nin

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 23:51:
Anyone know if it'll be possible to remap the controls in the full game? I simply can't use straight WASD, and it was screwing me up trying to move around with the default keys.

I looked for a cfg, but all I saw was a video settings xml file in My Documents.

Check their FB page. They mention "no controller mapping", but they are replying to a number of posts there. Maybe you could get others to chime in with you.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 5, 2011, 00:01 Bucky

Slashman wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:36:
Bucky wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:21:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:09:
Isn't each fortress actually made up of several levels? I got the impression that the demo was part of the first fortress and had a few levels from the start.

I don't think each individual level is a separate fort. Could be wrong, though.

Ah, if that's the case it's an instant purchase. Now I need to go find out.

If you find out...let me know! I'm really liking the looks of this game. Still enjoying Sanctum right now, in fact.

Everything I've read leads me to believe that each fortress is a level, leaving you with 24 throughout the campaign. Unfortunately I can't find anything solid to back that with, I'm just making that assumption based on the way a number of previews read. I thought I'd found the answer at one point, only to realize I had Googled my way back to this thread.

22. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 23:51 DeadlyAccurate

Anyone know if it'll be possible to remap the controls in the full game? I simply can't use straight WASD, and it was screwing me up trying to move around with the default keys.

I looked for a cfg, but all I saw was a video settings xml file in My Documents.

21. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 22:22 bigspender

awesome fun.

NEEDS CO-OP! (you are all probably sick of me saying that about every game, but this one is screaming for co-op)

as well as a puppet master game mode so someone can waypoint the orcs through the game

20. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 18:31 nin

Steam shows me at 27 minutes. Exactly what I was expecting for it - very fun!

19. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 17:03 Omnivox

The demo allows PC players to battle through the first three fortresses of the game honing their trap-laying and orc-slaying skills before the game is available on October 12th.

Since it barely took 20 minutes to finish these three levels, the game might be pretty short... Still a likely buy, since it's a very neat game.

Platzanweiser! Platzanweiser!

18. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 15:53 Cutter

It's fun for now, but I could see it wearing off *very* fast.

Prosecutor: What about that tattoo on your chest? Doesn't it say die Bart die?

Sideshow Bob: No, that's German for 'The Bart The'.

Parole Board Member: No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 15:42 Slashman

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 15:08:
I really don't think this game is anything like Plants vs Zombies. It is more like Sanctum, where you can build you tower defenses but you are in the action as a FPS game. Plants vs Zombies is like a 2D side scrolling tower defense game.

That's my take on it. Sanctum is the first thing that came to mind when I saw it.

Sanctum is a great game btw. They just released some very nice DLC for it that adds new maps and new towers. Some new free towers and the shotgun for free as well.

I'm a big fan of tower defense games where I can actively participate as the protagonist.

Just...need...to...get...through...these...exams...

16. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 15:08 SpectralMeat

I really don't think this game is anything like Plants vs Zombies. It is more like Sanctum, where you can build you tower defenses but you are in the action as a FPS game. Plants vs Zombies is like a 2D side scrolling tower defense game.  

15. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 15:01 hansmuff

It's not really. First of all, Plants and Zombies had a much more fine tuned balance. I played Orcs must Die! demo and went through all the levels it has, then replayed them. I was never, ever even close to dying or letting a single orc through. I couldn't try the hardest mode because it doesn't seem to unlock in this demo.

The game is fun. Not as rewarding as PvZ, in my opinion the gameplay is not even close to as refined as PvZ.

Still. I didn't find bugs, the game ran very nicely on my setup and I had some fun. That's $15 worth, I'd say.

14. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 14:48 jdreyer

Watching vids of this game makes it look like Plants vs Zombies with a fantasy skin. Can anyone verify that?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 14:45 SpectralMeat

I am curious about that also.  

12. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 14:36 Slashman

Bucky wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:21:
Isn't each fortress actually made up of several levels? I got the impression that the demo was part of the first fortress and had a few levels from the start.

If you find out...let me know! I'm really liking the looks of this game. Still enjoying Sanctum right now, in fact.

11. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 14:21 Bucky

10. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 14:09 Elf Shot The Food

9. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 13:46 Bucky

nin wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 13:24:
How long did the 3 from the demo take you to get through?

I was probably in the game for a total of 30 minutes, and some of that was spent messing around with settings and getting my bearings. My best guess is that I spent 20 minutes or so actually playing.

I'm sure the game has replay value, with an unlockable difficulty and upgrades for the traps, but I'm not sure the length justifies $15. I may wait for a sale to push it under $10 before I buy.

8. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 13:34 SpectralMeat

Took me 10-15 minutes to do the first 2. The 3rd I did not try yet, lunch time was over  

7. Re: Orcs Must Die! Demo and Pre-Purchases Oct 4, 2011, 13:24 nin

Bucky wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 13:16:
Yup, the demo is a lot of fun. My only question at this point is around the length of the game. I'm going to have to do a little research to see if it's been mentioned anywhere.

Beware of V-Sync. I turn it on out of habit, and it added some input lag for me. Everything was fine once I switched it off, and I didn't see any noticeable tearing during gameplay.

Their FB page says the demo is the first 3 fortresses in the game, while the full game features 24 (per the steam page).

How long did the 3 from the demo take you to get through?

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo