Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the past week:

1. Dead Island
  2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  3. A Game of Thrones: Genesis
  4. Total War: Shogun 2
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  6. F1 2011
  7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  8. Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
  9. Total War: Shogun 2 - Rise of the Samurai
  10. Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 4, 2011, 02:11 Jerykk

I actually like the sluggish start and stop. It feels right. I can't just shift and then jump across the roof, I have to have a little running room. I actually laughed when I realized that I was judging the distance from one roof to another and thinking that I'll need a couple more feet to get a good run.

There are ways to handle acceleration and momentum in first-person games. Mirror's Edge did it the right way, as it effectively conveyed both concepts without making the controls feel sluggish or unresponsive. Dead Island, on the other hand, does it the wrong way. Thankfully, you can tweak the acceleration to make it feel a lot better without losing the significance of momentum.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 21:12 Krovven

Guardian wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 17:21:
I actually like the sluggish start and stop. It feels right. I can't just shift and then jump across the roof, I have to have a little running room. I actually laughed when I realized that I was judging the distance from one roof to another and thinking that I'll need a couple more feet to get a good run.

That's pretty much how I feel. They are basically trying to mimic the analog stick movement that gamepads offer. Some games get the feeling right, many do not. Personally I think Dead Island got it almost perfect.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 17:21 Guardian

There are bugs, but nothing ruins the game for me yet. My biggest annoyance is also a caveat to the sound crew. When you get to the city, the ambient sound makes it sound like there's a zombie behind you ever 10 seconds and honestly, that just fries my nerves. The music however, is unearthly and makes the game feel more dangerous. Initially I was disappointed, but as time goes by, the game really has worn on me and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 17:15 Guardian

Fion wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 22:46:
Why has Dead Island been in the top 3 for the past 3 weeks? It's not 'that' good a game.

Dead island is a game that wears on you. It also wears you down. I feel like I need to watch a Disney movie after I play it. I keep coming back to it though.

And it's MUCH better with the Director's Cut and DI Helper running. Hopefully, the developers will take a hint and throw those customization options into the next patch.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 15:59 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 00:27:
The excessively slow acceleration and deceleration when you move, the fact that you automatically stand up after picking up any item, the fact that the viewmodel and world share the same FOV, so setting the FOV too high will screw up the viewmodel, some wonky physics issues that make it really hard to move up stairs or ramps, the constant referral to the player as a group even when playing solo, etc.

Shouldn't that just be called "junk" then?

Creston

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 09:27 Beamer

Bhruic wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 04:26:
Why has Dead Island been in the top 3 for the past 3 weeks? It's not 'that' good a game.

Look at the competition on the list. They hit a good window where there really isn't any. Lots of competition coming up soon, but other than Deus Ex, nothing currently in the same class.

Yup. I don't think any of those are selling through the roof.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 09:24 Verno

I'm kind of torn on Dead Island. It's alright but there is a lot of jank to it that lessens the experience. The multiplayer stuff is fun but there is a voice chat bug that really ruins it, instructing your friends on how to break their sound recording device in Windows as a workaround is super lame. That shit should have been patched like day one. It's definitely not a $50 game though, I got it via a 4pack and I'm glad I did otherwise I would have felt ripped off.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 09:21 Veinman

I bought Blood Bowl despite the asinine DRM. I have yet to be able to enjoy it due to horrible frame rates, which I attribute to the fact that I'm running the BF3 Beta video drivers from Nvidia. Once the BF3 beta is over, I'll revert to an older driver, hoping that fixes the problem.  

33. removed Oct 3, 2011, 09:01 sdgwe

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 3, 2011, 09:06.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 07:15 Dades

Krovven wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 00:43:
Better than the ridiculously abrupt movements in Douche Ex.

You're obviously a very enlightened soul worth listening to.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 05:46 Jerykk

Anyone who has issues with the controls in the game (char accel from a complete stop to run is slow, etc) needs to understand that the developer intentionally made the game in this way to better simulate the reality of taking off to a full sprint from a complete stop. You dont just hold a run button and go full speed right away. Get over it. The FOV is intentionally low as the entire world/game was made to be seen from this limited perspective. Again, this is not an e-sport, it is an attempt by a new developer at more "realistic" movement/visual aspects of the game. There is a hack to make the FOV higher, but as stated before it can make the character model in view look wonky if it is set too high, again because of the focused design on a consistent play experience across the board, as the developer intended us to play. Again, this is a first person perspective game, not a FPS.

The road to bad game design is paved with good intentions. Realism is fine as long as it doesn't hinder playability. Sluggish movement hinders playability. As for the FOV, I think they chose a low FOV simply because the game was designed for consoles and 99% of console games have low FOV.

Designers aren't infallible. They make mistakes all the time, which is why I'm glad Dead Island has enough mod support to fix them. Sometimes the intended way to play isn't the best way to play.

On a side note, Techland isn't exactly new. They've been around for over a decade.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 05:18 Kosumo

Nice post Walfish, have Cake  

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 04:51 Mordecai Walfish

I am glad that Dead Island is still topping the charts.. though I am also suprised RAGE is not up there on the list as well. I know alot of folks who have pre-ordered it (myself included), so this is indeed a shock.

The reason I'm glad Dead Island is still topping the charts is because:

a) It is a *very* enjoyable co-op experience with a very visceral combat system that proves to be overly satisfying, time and time again. I started the game by playing co-op with a friend and we are taking our time getting through it.. at about chapter 10 now. The more people that have a chance to play a game like this, the better

b) It will get supported and updated by the developer alot quicker because of it's PC success. They obviously made this with the console in mind, which is why so many people are upset with the PC version right now, and rightly so, because some pretty obvious options were omitted & the system was just not made for PC. Even with the quirks that exist in the game right now (of which you will admittedly run into very few while playing through), it is a very satisfying experience because the gameplay carries it. I'm just glad this even made it to the PC in the first place. My biggest issue with the PC release is the auto-save feature and no in-game way of manual saving or backing up saves. I lost over 10 hours of gameplay time because of a save file disappearing and then found out how to manually back up the saves. Frustrating & no doubt in the works for a fix in the next patch.

Anyone who has issues with the controls in the game (char accel from a complete stop to run is slow, etc) needs to understand that the developer intentionally made the game in this way to better simulate the reality of taking off to a full sprint from a complete stop. You dont just hold a run button and go full speed right away. Get over it. The FOV is intentionally low as the entire world/game was made to be seen from this limited perspective. Again, this is not an e-sport, it is an attempt by a new developer at more "realistic" movement/visual aspects of the game. There is a hack to make the FOV higher, but as stated before it can make the character model in view look wonky if it is set too high, again because of the focused design on a consistent play experience across the board, as the developer intended us to play. Again, this is a first person perspective game, not a FPS.

Glad to see Witcher2 up there as well still, it's also a great game.

I agree "Douche Ex - Hygiene Revolution" is a bit over-hyped as well. It was enjoyable, but just not as good as the reviews would lead you to believe.

And last, I saw mention of The Binding of Issac in the comments here and I have to agree that it is a *very* enjoyable game as well, especially for the $5 asking price right now. I hope to see it high on the lists next week (alongside RAGE) =)

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 04:26 Bhruic

Look at the competition on the list. They hit a good window where there really isn't any. Lots of competition coming up soon, but other than Deus Ex, nothing currently in the same class.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 00:46 Jerykk

I'll take excessively tight and responsive controls over sluggish and unresponsive controls any day.

Also, "Douche Ex"? Really?

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 00:43 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 00:27:
The excessively slow acceleration and deceleration when you move,

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 00:27 Jerykk

The excessively slow acceleration and deceleration when you move, the fact that you automatically stand up after picking up any item, the fact that the viewmodel and world share the same FOV, so setting the FOV too high will screw up the viewmodel, some wonky physics issues that make it really hard to move up stairs or ramps, the constant referral to the player as a group even when playing solo, etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2011, 00:37.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 00:21 Creston

jank?

Creston

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2011, 00:19 Jerykk

Zombies + co-op = two popular trends at the moment. Dead Island certainly has a fair amount of jank to it but it's an enjoyable game nonetheless.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 2, 2011, 22:55 ^Drag0n^

Call me crazy, but my guess would be because people are buying it?

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo