Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans

An interview on truepcgaming talks with Edouard Beauchemin of Nadeo about TrackMania 2: Canyon, the recently released racing sequel. They discuss various aspect of the game's development, and when he is asked about whether they plan to release a demo, here is his reply: "We have no plan of doing so at the moment. There is already TrackMania Nations Forever offering all of TrackMania’s experience, for free. If people want to play in the Canyon, they have to buy the game."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 15:10 Dmitri_M

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 12:24:
Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 12:00:
Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 11:15:
Sometimes remaining unemployed is a smart career move.

You need an actual career to make a "smart career move".

Hardly. You can end a career before it even starts.

But then. How do you make a career move if the career has ended and all the moves are up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 14:36 Dades

It's almost impossible to be unemployable, there is always a job out there. It's a question of humility, most people think themselves above certain types of work but that's just hubris. If you haven't worked in 8 years then nothing is above you and there is no reason to be unemployed. It is easy to find work if you treat getting a job like a job itself. Get up early, work all day looking for a job and you will have one quickly. If you sit on your ass throwing resumes around on Monster and making excuses why you're above working at a bar or something then of course you will find nothing, that's pretty much what was desired in the first place by using such half assed measures.

It's remarkable how entwined unemployment and debt are, both are very easy concepts to deal with but people make up a myriad of excuses to avoid getting out of the problem.

28. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 14:14 Krovven

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 12:24:

And right now, he has no career...at all. He is talking 8 years, not 8 months. I don't care what education he had, after choosing to be unemployed for 8 years, he has made himself unemployable. If I was the employer I'd take someone that made an effort to work but didn't have the proper education or experience over someone that had been sitting on his ass for 8 years.

27. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 14:09 m0deth

"We have no plan of doing so at the moment. There is already TrackMania Nations Forever offering all of TrackMania’s experience, for free. If people want to play in the Canyon, they have to buy the game."

So there really is no difference then? What is the fucking point?
Many of us stopped playing Nations Forever due to a few things...one car being one of them, the 'community' dwindling down to shit was another. So nothing's changed? And you want full price from us sight unseen eh?

Sounds to folks on a tight budget like this will be a "Pass this up unless you're into paying again for the same shit" kind of title. If you brought something new to the table...show it the fuck off, don't be afraid of demos, they don't hurt you. Give us a reason to want it, let us find out for ourselves if it runs well on our respective systems if things have actually changed.

We've all experienced two reasons why a pub won't release a game demo:

1: It's shit, and they want to rob you first because, well, you cannot return game titles for PC for refunds in most cases.
2: Sheer arrogance, and there is plenty of it...usually right before a fall.(They will also wonder why it was pirated so fast, acting like it was a surprise)

Claiming anything more simply scoots around these two problems, and providing less shows your intentions.

I was looking forward to trying this out, but now I couldn't care less. This is pretty bad too considering how much the racing genre has shrunken, and I predict this will be a forgotten title in 6 month's time for the bulk of gamers.

26. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 12:51 Dades

Rigs wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 04:52:
I take serious issue with that statement. I've been out of work for nearly 8 years and from the outside it would look like I was just a lazy son-of-a-bitch. My ex is fond of telling me to 'just go and get a job at like McDonalds, at least it's something'. True only if you don't actually look into the details more...

What details? Find a job you can walk to and start working. When you have enough money to afford gas and a car then you can look at upgrading that job to something else. It is a ladder, you climb it. If you get off the ladder and refuse to get back on then you can't really blame anyone else but yourself. You act like there is some logistical problem preventing you from acquiring work but the only road block is you. Part-time, full-time, 1 hour a week, it's all money and that's what matters. No one with any shred of decency or maturity looks down on people tending bar, serving food or any of the other critical industries in our economy that get taken for granted. I respect anyone working, it tells me they have a personal sense of responsibility and I think even higher of them for working a job that idiots in society might mock like being a garbageman or working at McDonalds.

It has nothing to do with politically correct thinking or other people calling you a bum or whatever. Simply put you are preventing yourself from working for a set of imaginary reasons. I don't know why that happened but you can remedy the problem pretty easily if you choose to. It has nothing to do with other people, stuck up HR people, what other people think about you or any of that shit. Most normal people have their own things to do, they don't care if you work or not, you're the one that's supposed to care. I suggest you start before life passes you by, 8 years is a long time.

25. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 12:46 dos

LOL gas 3$...In our country gas is over 8$/gallon and that does not stop people to drive 1-2 hours to work every day only to HAVE a job.

Get a life.

24. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 12:24 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 12:00 Dmitri_M

22. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 11:59 Dmitri_M

Rigs wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 04:52:
I've been out of work for nearly 8 years

Never admit to that on the internet.

I have a college friend who has been "studying" long term (unemployed) for the past 9 years. The sorts of rationalising and justifications he puts out to disguise that he's essentially too afraid to get out into the real world saddens me. He also goes on and on and on.

21. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 11:15 Beamer

Cornholio wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 03:25:
Only job that becomes a scar is the one you get shit canned at.

Yeah, but that isn't true.
Take a kid graduating from law school today. He probably can't find a job as a real attorney, but if he's lucky he can find one making $45k as an insurance defense attorney. "Take it" you'd tell him, "a job is a job." But that's a job you will never get out of. No non-insurance defense firm will ever look at your resume again. You've got that scarlet letter.
If the kid isn't lucky he can find readily available work for $20-$25 an hour as a document reviewer without benefits. Again, it's work, but if you have "document reviewer" on your resume you can't even get work in insurance defense. You've effectively left the legal community once you do that. No one will ever hire you for anything else.

Many professions that require higher education can be similar. If you want to stay within a certain path but jump fields it can be quite difficult. Like if you're an MBA graduate and want to work on Wall Street. Banker jobs have been hard to find, but other jobs aren't, particularly banker jobs in lesser cities. But if you take a banker job in San Francisco the odds of you ever getting to Wall Street are slim - you're actually better off moving to NYC and spending a year unemployed than spending that year working and gaining experience in a lesser city.

-------------

20. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 09:31 Shadowcat

A demo to a Trackmania game would either be shitty if they don't allow user-created content, or identical to the main game if they do allow it.
Um, what?

A demo without user-created content would be *absolutely fine* and just what people would expect. When it comes to content, demos are pretty much *supposed* to be shitty by comparison with the retail product. No one would ever buy the games otherwise. The whole idea is to give enough of a taste that they want to pay for more. I'm pretty sure this is obvious to most people.

Include a small handful of decent tracks so the player can experience the handling/gameplay of the Canyon car and environment, see how the new graphics run on their machine, etc.

Nations is obviously going to be somewhat indicative, but it's not a demo version of Canyon.

19. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 05:39 Cornholio

1) 8 years, huh? Gone to school? Anything?

2)Last time I checked 39 hours or less made you part time. 40+ is full time. So you worry about paying bills with a part time mcd's job but you don't have a job and don't worry about it? Not making sense here. If you can't pay your bills then learn to live within your means. Pretty simple.

3)If you can't afford gas for your car then sell it and get something you can afford. Once again live within your means.
If you don't have the ability to plan your time accordingly then that is your problem. Work, school, play with trading, take care of the house and search for another job... done it.

4)"Instead, you can work 'full-time' on getting something that's actually worth the time and effort" 8 years of unemployment, seems that strategy is working out great. So that's 8 years worth of lost wages that you will need to compensate for. Good luck on that one, I hope it works out for you. Hell you could at least day trade while searching for a job.

You took this like I singled you out when you hadn't even posted a reply in this thread... must have struck a nerve that's been hit before.

18. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 05:30 Ant

Rigs wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 05:25:
Thank you, Krowen, for making my point...but you're going to have to buy your own cookie, I'm broke... ...
Give him an Internet cookie.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

17. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 05:25 Rigs

Thank you, Krowen, for making my point...but you're going to have to buy your own cookie, I'm broke...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

16. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 04:55 Krovven

Sounds like you've been making excuses...for 8 years.

15. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 04:52 Rigs

If you have no job and you can get something temporarily would you take that over nothing? If you say no they you are a lazy ass mooch. Keep collecting unemployment.

I take serious issue with that statement. I've been out of work for nearly 8 years and from the outside it would look like I was just a lazy son-of-a-bitch. My ex is fond of telling me to 'just go and get a job at like McDonalds, at least it's something'. True only if you don't actually look into the details more...

So let's look at that as an example. I get a job at good ol' MickeyD's and since so many are applying on a daily basis, they hire quite a few people in addition to me, knowing turnover is going to be high. Why? Well, they only have so much allocated for paying employees and if there are several more hired than normal, it's still the same pie, but everyone gets a smaller piece. So I might technically be hired 'full-time', but only get 15-20 hours, 3- 4 days a week. But this isn't constant and some weeks I might get 15 hours and others 35 hours. Plus hours if I cover someone who has called in, quit or left early. So, I can't really rely on having a set amount every week or month, which means paying bills becomes a stress filled adventure in itself.

The next variable is gas. I need to get to work and that requires (where I live, at least) having a car. Gas being over $3/gallon and my car getting around 15 -20 miles per gallon isn't the best combination but it could be worse. I also live in a rather rural area, which puts gas at a premium. Another variable is the oft-mentioned 'look for another job while you work this one'. Ah, but there's a catch to that too, unless you have NO other responsibilities other than going to work and sleeping...

It all boils down to this...if you get a minimum wage job with part-time hours (even if you're supposedly 'full-time'), you're shooting yourself in the foot just to say 'I have a job!'. Instead, you can work 'full-time' on getting something that's actually worth the time and effort. There are other variables in at least my decision not to try for the lowest common denominator, but I feel that many aren't going to see it as I do and just latch on to the fact that I'm jobless and I'm turning my nose up at a 'perfectly good' job. You needn't argue with me as I've heard your counter-points before. You're going to see my post as just excuses because it doesn't mesh with the politically correct way of dealing with this kind of thing. I think it's more important that you get off your moral soapbox and try to see that the world isn't as easily cut and dry all over...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make an argument as to why someone doesn't have to work, at all. That's not what I'm saying here. I continue to look for work but with the rest of my other responsibilities, it becomes difficult. I don't have time to fuck around with stuck up HR stooges that think they're God or those that act like I skinned a kitten alive in front of a room full of school children because there are serious gaps in my employment history. Nobody's perfect and I have legitimate reasons for those gaps but, sadly, most of said stooges won't even get past the point that I have them to begin with...

Oh, and I want to point out right now that I do not collect any sort of welfare, unemployment or disability/SSI, so if you were about to rail on me for that, I suggest keeping that foot in your mouth...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

14. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 03:25 Cornholio

Only job that becomes a scar is the one you get shit canned at.
Big ass gap where you were not employed looks better than delivering pizza? Don't think so. Many employers look at that as a sign of a lazy individual. IE: a lack of drive.

If you have no job and you can get something temporarily would you take that over nothing? If you say no they you are a lazy ass mooch. Keep collecting unemployment.

13. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 01:52 elefunk

A demo to a Trackmania game would either be shitty if they don't allow user-created content, or identical to the main game if they do allow it. You can't create a demo for this game. Nations is a perfectly valid demo. If you want to see what Trackmania 2 will be like, play Nations, then expect far better graphics, far better handling, far more capability of the building tools, and more.

Trackmania 2 improves on Nations in pretty much every way. Bitching that there is no demo specifically for Trackmania 2 simply demonstrates that you know jack shit about the entire serious and have no right to bitch about anything related to it in the first place.

12. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 01:19 Beamer

Cornholio wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 01:13:
There are plenty of jobs it's just people don't want to do them. "I have a Bachelors, I'm not gonna deliver pizzas!"

Having a shit job is better than having no job.

Depends on the shit job, doesn't it?
Some jobs are dead ends. Scarlet letters, if you will. Sometimes it's better to have no job than a job that becomes a scar.

-------------

11. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 01:13 Cornholio

There are plenty of jobs it's just people don't want to do them. "I have a Bachelors, I'm not gonna deliver pizzas!"

Having a shit job is better than having no job.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo