Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Speed Hack?

A post on Diablo IncGamers offers a video showing a character in the Diablo III beta moving at extreme speeds. Many of the posters in the ensuing discussion thread feel this may be showing an actual speed hack for the game as other elements seem to move at normal speed, which suggests this is not just sped-up video. They reproduce a quote from the Blizzard on this also suggesting it may be real, as it says: "Thanks for bringing this to our attention. If you would like to report information regarding cheats or hacks, send it to hacks@blizzard.com. Please donít assist with disseminating the information by posting it here on the forums." Since this is the type of thing that requiring online play is meant to prevent, if there is such a cheat in the wild, hopefully it can be addressed quickly.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 4, 2011, 18:47 Sepharo

Seems to me that you're still talking about hacking here... Unless you just meant to make the distinction between general hacking and "hacking the game and playing it for free".

Either way the persistent online connection only punishes paying customers while not preventing cheating/hacking.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 4, 2011, 04:59  Peeling 

Blizzard isn't enforcing an always-on connection to prevent people hacking the game and playing it for free. They're doing it to ensure that the auction house isn't ruined as a game feature for those who want to join in and play properly.

Think of it this way: the FA can't stop you setting up goalposts in your garden and leathering a ball through it over and over, then running around with your shirt over your head pretending you've won the world cup. If that's how you choose to amuse yourself, so be it. But they can stop morons dicking about on the pitch in the middle of a real game.

Similarly, Blizzard knows perfectly well plenty of people will perform the necessary mental gymnastics to convince themselves they're entitled to something for nothing. They can't do anything about that. Nor can they prevent some people ruining the game for themselves by starting out in all the best gear.

But what they can do is prevent said asshats from parading around in front of people who've chosen to play the game as it was intended. They can keep the Auction House meaningful for those who recognise the value of buying into and abiding by an arbitrary set of rules - otherwise known as a 'game'.

52. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 3, 2011, 09:16 Verno

NiteX wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 15:33:
Will never ever happen. Just look at how amazingly well they are failing to crack the beta. They are currently trying to create a private server type deal that is similar to the WoW private servers. But its not working right, no NPCs have AI functions. So Blizz is doing the right thing. And I for one am happy for it. I rather always play online than offline, sucks for you if ya don't. All I can say is welcome to the digital age, now get with the fucking times!

It kind of goes without saying but you're wrong of course, they've been working on it for less than two weeks and you're expected a retail quality imitation in that same time period. They are having to reverse engineer the whole thing, it will take time but it will get done. Some of those people have tackled far more complicated MMO projects after all. As getting with the times, one could give that advice to the industry who repeatedly flails on pitiful DRM attempts instead of just embracing digital sales fully.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

51. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 2, 2011, 15:33 NiteX

Overon wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 15:13:
Imagine the how many people in the cracking community are going to be trying to crack diablo 3 and allow people to pirate it and play it without a persistent battlenet connection.

Will never ever happen. Just look at how amazingly well they are failing to crack the beta. They are currently trying to create a private server type deal that is similar to the WoW private servers. But its not working right, no NPCs have AI functions. So Blizz is doing the right thing. And I for one am happy for it. I rather always play online than offline, sucks for you if ya don't. All I can say is welcome to the digital age, now get with the fucking times!

50. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 23:47 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 20:17:
I'm not reading this thread but I just wanted to stop in and say this story is clearly bullshit since hacks are impossible in Diablo 3 because of the persistent connection. That email is probably fake too.

Thanks, Mike Morhaim.

Creston

49. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 20:17 Sepharo

I'm not reading this thread but I just wanted to stop in and say this story is clearly bullshit since hacks are impossible in Diablo 3 because of the persistent connection. That email is probably fake too.  

48. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 15:27 Mashiki Amiketo

Overon wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 15:13:
Imagine the how many people in the cracking community are going to be trying to crack diablo 3 and allow people to pirate it and play it without a persistent battlenet connection.
Should take all of about 20mis. I think that's how long it took them to beat it for SC2. And UBI's only lasted a week or so. Yep, this stuff only hurts consumers. Personally I'll be spending an assload more in the air, and if I can't tote something around on my laptop to play why would I want to play it on my PC?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

47. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 15:13 Overon

46. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 13:57 Kastagir

It's a beta test after all, right? I would guess this is the reason why they are doing it. In the end, their beta won't cover enough because they didn't make it big enough and this kind of thing will still happen once the game goes live. Perhaps they know that and they're just trying to get better (i.e. faster) at fixing the holes.

Just my observation. I won't be buying it (and not because of DRM/copy-protection/persistent connection).

45. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 13:53 RollinThundr

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 13:02:
A lot of vitriol in this thread, but imagine the hilarity that will ensue when people start duping items for real cash. When, not if. The only real question is how long it will take for that to be made public...

Come on, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile!

They'll be duping day one. No doubt about it.

44. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 13:26 Mashiki Amiketo

Dades wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 12:30:
DRM is a generic term that describes a lot of different kinds of protection methods, some related to copyright and others not. Idiot.
Pft.

Copy protection is copy protection. DRM is face rape.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

43. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 13:17 NiteX

Going to be the best game ever created!  

42. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 13:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

A lot of vitriol in this thread, but imagine the hilarity that will ensue when people start duping items for real cash. When, not if. The only real question is how long it will take for that to be made public...

Come on, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile!

41. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 12:40 Fletch

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 12:11:
Having cheat prevention software running on their servers is not DRM.

No one said it was. Requiring a persistent connection with a uniquely identifying serial number/account IS DRM. You just choose to believe their excuse that requiring an always-on connection is to protect us from hackers, which isn't even an issue in off-line single player or LAN. You can add, can't you?

EDIT: OK, Cutter said it was. Lol.
EDIT: And Dades.
EDIT: And yuastnav.
EDIT: et al

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2011, 12:51.

40. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 12:30 Dades

Get your terms straight, noobs.

DRM = Digital Rights Management. It's copy protection.

DRM is not a generic term for anything you don't like.

DRM is a generic term that describes a lot of different kinds of protection methods, some related to copyright and others not. Idiot.

39. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 12:27 Cutter

"Digital rights management (DRM) is a term for access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to limit the use of digital content and devices. The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits uses of digital content that is not desired or intended by the content provider. The term does not generally refer to other forms of copy protection, which can be circumvented without modifying the file or device, such as serial numbers or keyfiles. It can also refer to restrictions associated with specific instances of digital works or devices. Companies such as Sony, Amazon, Apple Inc., Microsoft, AOL and the BBC use digital rights management. In 1998 the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) was passed in the United States to impose criminal penalties on those who circumvent encryption"

Before you go calling other people noobs you might like to actually know what the hell you're talking about there, scooter.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

38. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 12:26 yuastnav

[...]

m(

Protip: DRM is not just copy protection.

37. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 12:20 Fletch

Mondosapien wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 11:46:
I'm not exactly sure what Blizzard promised, but I doubt it was to stop all hackers 100% of the time. If I had to guess, their always-on connection will keep well over 99% of the player base from hacking. Not perfect, but everyone here knows it's impossible to stop everything. They may have promised to work diligently at stopping hackers, and that's all they can do.

Strangely, and maybe I was just lucky, but I didn't encounter hacking EVER in all my off-line single player D2 games. As a matter of fact, playing LAN with my friends was equally bereft of hackers. I never played on BattleNET, but I wonder if those players were all so lucky.

36. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 12:11 Beelzebud

35. Re: Diablo III Speed Hack? Oct 1, 2011, 12:10 Fletch

SAM ROGERS wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 08:36:
So technically I was right.

If it makes you feel better.

Blizzard VP is claiming a "much more stable, connected, safer experience". I'm not sure how needing two systems (theirs and mine) to operate properly and communicate over the internet makes any of those things "er", but it seems he has decided to play the "we-only-want-what's-best-for-our-customers" card, as if their customers can't possibly know what's best for themselves. Just seems so condescending to me.

In a nutshell, Blizzard says a consistent connection is required to keep us all safe from hackers (and because BattleNET is so awesome, we're gonna want to be on it... or something). That just doesn't make sense for those who want to play single player/LAN. So, what other reason could there be to require a constant connection for those players? DRM. Whether it's a just an unforseen effect of a persistent connection (as they would have you believe), or their primary reason for requiring it, it's still DRM.

And I don't doubt keeping players "closer" to the AH has something to do with it too. Items found in any single player/off-line game simply wouldn't be able to be sold in the AH for obvious reasons. That's the "separate user flow" Blizzard VP was talking about in the link yuastnav posted, imho. I think he meant "revenue stream".

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo