Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC is Dead to I Am Alive

I Am Alive is no longer coming to Windows PCs, we learned today after receiving an announcement from Ubisoft today saying the post-apocalyptic action/adventure will arrive for Xbox LIVE Arcade and the PlayStation Network this winter. This follows a rocky development cycle that involved a delay, a switch in developers from Darkworks to Ubisoft Shanghai, followed by another delay and yet another. The game was first thought to be a console title, but Ubisoft later announced it would be coming to PCs as well, something that seemed to be confirmed as recently as three days ago, when an ESRB rating for I Am Alive was discovered, listing platforms as "Windows PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360." We contacted Ubisoft to ask why the PC edition was not mentioned in today's announcement, and were told, simply: "There will be no PC SKU for I Am Alive."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 30, 2011, 12:18 Jerykk

Far Cry 2 would have been good if not for the following flaws:

1) Enemies that instantly respawn the moment you leave an area.
2) Incredibly generic and half-assed side-missions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 30, 2011, 11:04 Creston

ZeroCougar wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 06:09:
You couldn't be stealthy, the enemies ALWAYS knew where you are.

That's actually not true. If you worked at night and used silenced weapons, you could take out entire enemy camps without them ever really knowing you were there. They did have absolutely perfect vision, though, so you really had to be extremely stealthy in order to be succesful, but they weren't given some kind of cheat Player-GPS-locator.

If you attacked during the day with non-stealthy weapons, yeah, they knew where you were.

I enjoyed FC2. It had its flaws, but it was a beautiful world, a wonderful engine, and it had very satisfying weaponry plus really good combat.

Creston

27. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 30, 2011, 08:53 Lobster

Far Cry 2 was far from perfect and all of your criticisms are fair, but it still did things that no other FPS has even attempted, before or since. That's enough to earn it a special place in a gamer's heart, just like the original Deus Ex, which was also far from perfect. There are other reasons to worry about Far Cry 3, namely that the Call of Duty-style point system, but even if it's every bit the mess Far Cry 2 was, I think it'll be worth a play.

Oh, and here's a quarter. Go buy a box of apostrophes. No, you're not writing a novel and you're not doing schoolwork, but you are presenting yourself entirely through the medium of text and if you don't know how words work, it makes you look bad.

26. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 30, 2011, 06:09 ZeroCougar

JayDeath wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 17:21:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 16:25:
kylania wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 15:31:
That's OK because Ubisoft is dead to me.

This.

I would be a bit pissed if Farcry 3 doesn't come out on the PC though, maybe.

Wow. I never even thought that could be a possibility. That would be just awful. A true sign of the downfall of PC gaming.

Its safe to assume your being sarcastic here. I hope so. I mean have you played FarCry 2? It looked pretty, sure, it ran great and really wasn't outright buggy. But I found a serious lack of fun within it. It felt like it was trying to be an RPG world, but with a Serious Sam mentality. Game-play was non stop run and gun. You couldn't be stealthy, the enemies ALWAYS knew where you are. The guard posts Insta-repopped. It was one of the messiest display's of a game I ever did see.

No if they end up with a mess of a game for Farcry 3 and they don't release it on PC, I honestly think were better off.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

25. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 30, 2011, 01:19 Jerykk

Based upon the recently leaked gameplay videos I can honestly say I'm glad this isn't coming to the PC. It's just another dumb console action game and has absolutely no relation to the decent trailer they initially put out.

I'm inclined to disagree. The leaked trailer showed some interesting mechanics, like the ability to intimidate people with guns (or try to bluff with an empty gun). I'm interested in at least trying the game to see how such concepts pan out.

Regardless, the fact that they canceled the PC version and turned the other versions into downloadable games doesn't exactly bode well. It likely means that Ubisoft has lost confidence in the project and just wants to push it out the door as soon as possible. This doesn't necessarily mean it will be a bad game, but I doubt it will be a very long one.

24. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 23:35 Prez

Bye Ubi. Have fun making games for 37 year old hardware.

They still make games for the Atari 7800???

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 22:39 theyarecomingforyou

Based upon the recently leaked gameplay videos I can honestly say I'm glad this isn't coming to the PC. It's just another dumb console action game and has absolutely no relation to the decent trailer they initially put out. It reminds me of Alan Wake, where the concept seemed incredibly original and somehow ended up incredibly generic.

As for Ubisoft, I'm just not interested in the titles they're currently producing. The last game of theirs I really enjoyed was Far Cry 2 and that was a very good PC release - well optimised, good controls and took advantage of PC exclusive features like DX10. And what they've put out so far regarding Far Cry 3 looks very promising.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

22. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 21:01 StingingVelvet

Alamar wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 16:10:
I'll take a stand here and assume that no rape was involved... And that Ubi neither 'fears' or 'hates' the PC platform... They do, however, like many companies, love the monies ; )

There is a ton of money to be made on the PC though. Ubisoft seem to just not want it.

21. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 20:09 Wolfen

Spektr wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 16:58:
Stop whining. We have a shitload of post apocalytic games on the PC already and there are more AA games coming our way ( Rage, for instance ) and I still prefer an old game like Fallout than a new console game that everybody will have forgotten one year from now.

Not that UBI makes average. And I think they come from the PC by the way. More games are made for the console but PC games are still better anyway.

No AAA's? I don't want them then.

20. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Sep 29, 2011, 17:57 Prez

One second they are doing things like relaxing the DRM on Assassin's Creed titles and 'From Dust', then they pull shit like this and 'Driver San Francisco'. Oh well... given Ubisoft's recent rash of bipolar stupidity, it's likely that this game would have been saddled with their always-on crap. Ubisoft games with their shit-tastic DRM (like Diablo 3 now... *SNIFF*) are dead to me anyway.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Sep 29, 2011, 17:40 Optimaximal

Given that every other Ubisoft release announcement has been full of lies re: the PC version, maybe it's business as usual and they'll suddenly about-turn and announce the PC SKU for release the same day as the consoles, on Steam, with no U-Play.

Heh, see what I did there?

18. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 17:36 Overon

Console players look out! It's a huge red flag when a game has such a rocky development cycle, followed a by the elimination of the PC version which may indicate that the publisher has no confidence in the product is trying to minimize its losses.  

17. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 17:31 KilrathiAce

PC gaming is quite well and now with this junk developer leaving it will be even better.

Btw UBI didnt care or support any of their PC products since Silent Hunter 3, so UBI please stop with ur bs excuses and crying because ever since then you never cared for the customer or your products release state on PC. So please leave PC market already, better without you.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 17:29 Creston

I can just see Ubisoft's pouty little face: "After all the complaining over our wonderful DRM implementation in From Dust, we're just not gonna give you any games anymore! So there!" *stomps foot*

Bye Ubi. Have fun making games for 37 year old hardware.

Creston

15. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 17:21 JayDeath

DangerDog wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 16:25:

This.

Wow. I never even thought that could be a possibility. That would be just awful. A true sign of the downfall of PC gaming.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

14. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 17:14 Alamar

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 17:10:
This was actually a really stupid move on their part, wasn't there an indie developer on here not too long ago that stated they sold more copies of their game in one week on PC than in 6 months on XBox Live? I know they aren't an indie developer, but still...

Holy context malfunction...

They sold more on PC (Steam was it?), than the Xbox indie portal... Which is pure and complete crap... So no, it's not indicative of AA(A?) results...

Not saying some higher end games don't do better on PC, but it seems rare... What with all the rampant piracy and what not...

-Alamar

13. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 17:10 JohnBirshire

This was actually a really stupid move on their part, wasn't there an indie developer on here not too long ago that stated they sold more copies of their game in one week on PC than in 6 months on XBox Live? I know they aren't an indie developer, but still...  

12. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 16:58 Spektr

Stop whining. We have a shitload of post apocalytic games on the PC already and there are more AA games coming our way ( Rage, for instance ) and I still prefer an old game like Fallout than a new console game that everybody will have forgotten one year from now.

Not that UBI makes average. And I think they come from the PC by the way. More games are made for the console but PC games are still better anyway.

11. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 16:37 xXBatmanXx

oh well...looked cool - but no gameplay vids yet. Yea, and don't really care about UBI anyway....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 16:25 DangerDog

This.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo