Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Open Beta Begins

The Battlefield Blog announces the launch of open beta testing of Battlefield 3, the next installment in DICE's military shooter series. Here's word on how to get the Windows PC edition of the beta: "If you have already installed our new download service Origin, go to the section “Free games”, where the Battlefield 3 Open Beta will appear for download. You can also head to this product page via the web. If you have not installed Origin yet, it will ask you to do so before proceeding with the download of the Open Beta itself." Here's word:

Played on the Operation Métro map in Rush mode that won us Best Action Game and Best Multiplayer Game at E3, this is your chance to experience one of many flavors of Battlefield 3.

Make sure to head to our free social platform Battlelog to check your in-depth stats progression, start your own Platoon, and see how your friends are doing in the news feed. To get you started on the Operation Métro map, here are some playing tips straight from us at DICE. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!

We would also like to invite you to leave any feedback to us at DICE via the forums in the social platform Battlelog. Remember that this software is in Beta and does not represent final quality. For a full FAQ on the Open Beta, head here.

The Open Beta ends on October 10th. Return here for ongoing news, updates, and announcements during the Open Beta period.

DICE’S TOP 10 BATTLEFIELD 3 OPERATION MÉTRO TIPS
1) Stick to your team mates, and remember to spawn on them to stay close to the fight.
2) Use your kit specific abilities to help your team mates. Assault can hand out med kits, Engineers can repair vehicles, and Support can hand out ammo.
3) Make sure when you have armed an M-COM station, that you defend it to make sure it is destroyed.
4) The bombed-out tunnel section in Operation Métro is an excellent place to use a flashlight as one of your weapon attachments. Use it to light the tunnels up – and to blind your enemies.
5) Attach bipods to your weapon and deploy it automatically by pushing up against cover or going prone and zooming in – this gives you a huge increase in accuracy and stability.
6) Use suppressive shooting (fire close to enemies behind cover) to negatively effect the enemy’s fighting capabilities.
7) Watch out for falling debris as this can hurt you. But you can also hurt your enemies by taking out buildings with the Engineer’s RPG.
8) Shotguns are excellent for CQC (Close Quarters Combat) in the tighter tunnels sections.
9) Fire automatic weapons in short bursts for accuracy, or switch to single fire mode if applicable.
10) To grab your enemy’s dog tag as a souvenir, do a stealth knife kill from behind.

View
122 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

122. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Oct 14, 2011, 10:22 deqer

WTF?
Why are these called BATTLEFIELD 3 TIPS?
They are generic tips that apply to any battlefield game...

Speaking of "any battlefield game." What about Battlefield 2142? I want to play BF2142 again. Titan-mode.

We don't want to play BF3.

We didn't ask for another battlefield game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

121. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Oct 1, 2011, 13:38 Agent.X7

Find a server running Harcore mode.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

120. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Oct 1, 2011, 00:52 ELITE

Really?
OMG my experience has been bad the only way i killed someone without a full clip was using the knife...

I don't know. I've used burst mode - tried the various weapons and people just take round after round.

I hope the game is lethal - I can't freaking stand RnG Quake games.

Oh well I guess I'll just wait and see - I play BC2 - BlackOps - and RO2 all hardcore mode - so maybe I'm just getting owned because I'm not used to spraying to kill.

I just played again - nobody would die even with the sniper and several rounds hitting...

Back to RO2 I go for now...

Teddy wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:46:
ELITE wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:10:
BF
I can't get over the crappy gameplay - full clip to kill someone nearly... headshots are worthless... Maybe if I was playing hardcore on a large map - but for now they are not getting my money.

There's very clearly some issues people are having either with lag (video or network) or hitboxes. Either that or they just can't aim. I routinely kill people with 3-4 rounds from an M4A1 or AKS-74U, or a single shotgun hit. I've NEVER had to empty full magazines into anyone, nor have I had any issue with headshots functioning.

There are countless threads in battlelog with people complaining about how lethal the damage model is, that people die too easily, and here you are saying it takes a full clip to kill someone.

There's clearly a disconnect somewhere. The game IS lethal, people die fast. If that's not the case for you, then that's a bug, not the norm.

119. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 19:57 Dev

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 19:01:
Dev wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 12:36:
First off, XP could use more than 4gb, with the /PAE switch.

Didn't that only work on the high-end editions of Windows Server?

I'll admit I had actually forgotten about PAE because it became kind of irrelevant with a 64 bit OS. If I'm not mistaken, it only worked on specific Intel chips, and wasn't exactly bulletproof.

Interesting link to that licensing thing, however.

I will gladly concede that I was wrong, and it is indeed hackable. I didn't think it was, but it looks like it is, so I stand corrected.

Of course, I really do have to wonder why the heck you'd bother to hack >4GB support in your 32bit OS when the 64bit OS is

A) Just as cheap/expensive
B) In many cases actually GIVEN to you along with the 32 bit OS.

Creston

Naw, PAE worked on a whole bunch of windows versions and didn't need the Itanium, you could use it with standard windows 32 bit (such as XP) on normal CPU's. MS only really promoted it when using server OS since that market cared more about >4gb in those days than the average home user, but they included support for it on far more OS versions than just server.

And I never said all that stuff was PRACTICAL I agree, its much simpler all around and less prone to potential compatibility issues if MS just supports 4gb+ in 64 bit versions.

Xirgu wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 15:45:
On the ms access user level security I disagree, there are just so many ways to secure stuff nowadays with certificates, access rights, encryption... that layer seems unnecessary.
So many ways that takes extra time and trouble since one is basically require to code up custom security from scratch, especially if someone wants to do a quick and dirty access setup for a small business. And cases where someone is willing to accept the risks because the level of security needed isn't all that important, but a bare minimum of users entering a password is appreciated. And turns out that 2007 WILL let you do user level security IF you start the project as a 2003 file instead of 2007 file, so they are just arbitrarily blocking the feature anyway.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2011, 20:03.

118. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 19:01 Creston

Dev wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 12:36:
First off, XP could use more than 4gb, with the /PAE switch.

Didn't that only work on the high-end editions of Windows Server?

I'll admit I had actually forgotten about PAE because it became kind of irrelevant with a 64 bit OS. If I'm not mistaken, it only worked on specific Intel chips, and wasn't exactly bulletproof.

Interesting link to that licensing thing, however.

I will gladly concede that I was wrong, and it is indeed hackable. I didn't think it was, but it looks like it is, so I stand corrected.

Of course, I really do have to wonder why the heck you'd bother to hack >4GB support in your 32bit OS when the 64bit OS is

A) Just as cheap/expensive
B) In many cases actually GIVEN to you along with the 32 bit OS.

Creston

117. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 17:28 Agent.X7

We're Sorry
We are currently having issues with passwords containing
special characters (such as &%<>).

Until we have fixed this, you can change your password to
only use alphanumeric characters at http://profile.ea.com

UNBELIEVABLY INCOMPETENT.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

116. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 15:45 Xirgu

interesting, I had actually wondered about that , ms might have used the address space in a different way, perhaps big memory pages, 2 way addressing.. but yes, it wasnt in their best interest to spend too much time there, better to sell a new os.
anyway currently I think all you can do to stop that ram going to waste is create a ram disk. if it is big enough you could put your pagefile there..should get some performance there.
On the ms access user level security I disagree, there are just so many ways to secure stuff nowadays with certificates, access rights, encryption... that layer seems unnecessary.

115. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 12:36 Dev

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 11:42:
That's not how it works, Dev. A 32 bit memory controller can access a TOTAL of 4GB of RAM, but that includes every type of memory you have in your system. So your videocard counts against it.
[...]
Dev wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 21:20:
Whats sad is this arbitrary limit in vista/7 32 bit OS is more due to MS's licensing decisions than due to an actual limit. With XP it was possible to have more than 4gb in the 32 bit setup, and even though it wasn't possible to make much use of it, it WAS possible to use it in at least some ways.

Errrr, what? Confused It's not an arbitrary limit that MS put in place to annoy people. It's simply a function of math. A 32 bit controller can address 2^32 addresses, which equals 4GB. You're not getting more addressable space in XP-32.
a) Yes I'm aware of how memory addressing works, I've done assembly before. I was simplifying things There's no real way to tell how much more memory between 3gb and 4gb he can get without actually having an identical setup including identical hardware, identical configuration, and identical drivers. All of that can change how much 32bit address space windows reserves between 3gb and 4gb. He would just have to try it and see. The funny thing is, its not necessary to actually do it that way. The accessory addresses were picked to be under 4gb but as high as possible (such as between 3gb and 4gb) both because it was thought that part wouldn't be used much, and to avoid potential compatibility issues. Just like originally when people had 640k, the driver addresses were between that and 1 mb, because it was thought that the extra space wasn't going to be needed and to keep the complexity of the chip down.
Even if you only have 2gb, the drivers still do address ranges things like video cards usually in the space between 3gb and 4gb on 32 bit machines. The cards themselves pick up on the bus when that space is addressed (even when there's no actual RAM there) and they grab the instructions from there. Thats why you don't see huge missing chunks of RAM when you have fewer GBs in the system. Having a IO device intercept non existent memory addresses is an easy and cheap "hack" to get I/O communication done with a CPU, but not add additional crazy amounts of bus lines. Its definitely an instructional experience if you play with a 8086 setup at the assembly level to learn some of this as I have. Its quite interesting to see all the workarounds and brilliant thinking to get the complexity of the parts (especially the required number of pins because of address lines) lower and cheaper and still perform well. Anyway, MS coulda done a workaround so that when you DID have 4gb, it moved the addresses of either the actual ram or the driver accesses to an separate address range. But it woulda been a fair amount of work and potential compatibility issues, so I don't blame them for leaving it alone. What I DO blame them for is the unneeded restrictions on 4gb limit in vista/7 32 bit compared to XP.

b) Actually, there IS a compelling argument to be made that MS restricted it in vista/7 more than they had to solely for licensing purposes. You are talking about a memory controller as if there's no workarounds. 16 bit computers? They were NOT restricted to 64k (remember 2^16=64k). More like 640k (or perhaps 1 meg depending on how things were addressed).

First off, XP could use more than 4gb, with the /PAE switch. Like I said, it can't use it very well, but it can make some use out of it.
Second that link I pasted in my earlier reply to the official MS documentation on memory limits? Did you notice that the Windows Server 2008 Datacenter/Enterprise versions support 64 gb ram in the 32 bit editions? I believe that 2003 windows 32bit server has above 4gb limits, perhaps not quite that much, but certainly above 4gb.
Here is another link that talks about why in vista/7 its in large part an arbitrary licensing limit:
http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=notes/windows/license/memory.htm
Its interesting that vista/7 actually include a version of the 32 bit EXE thats quite capable of playing with more than 4gb of ram, but somewhere along the line windows tells it to ignore the extra memory.

This isn't the only decision MS has made based on convenience, they have a history of it actually. One of the more egregious examples off the top of my head that I've come across is how they took user access level security out of Access 2007 since there were some vulnerabilities with how it was done in 2003. Some guys did some research and figured out that MS coulda fixed those vulnerabilities with literally just a few lines of code (such as making sure the hashes were more random). Instead MS just decided to rip out the ability to use it in 2007 files.

MS is quite happy to have people assume that the 4gb limit is only from 32 bits.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2011, 13:11.

114. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 12:34 Verno

Lasly, I'm not getting pulled into a flame war - you've made it very clear that you don't care for the beta; don't like it, don't buy it.

No I didn't and this sums up your fundamental disconnect from everyone else here. People criticizing individual elements or having issues with the game doesn't mean they dislike the game entirely. There are no "sides" here, it isn't a silly school game or something where people have to pick. No one is flaming anyone here, I just said your comment was immature because frankly it was.

When you use your beta as a marketing tool to help sell your game then you don't get to hide behind the label when people have problems or criticisms. You can say "yes they can because BETA" if you like but that isn't going to stop us from pointing out the logical flaw there - you should have no problem with beta testers offering feedback based on their experiences, positive or negative. Yeah, whoops.

I'm not sure what your goal was here anyway. People are just offering their thoughts both positive and negative, that's kind of what the point is. I get that you don't agree with some of that but that doesn't make everyone else a "whiner" or something.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2011, 12:46.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

113. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 12:14 CrimsonPaw

Verno wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 11:42:
Your so called summary of the thread was ludicrous and ignores all fair minded comments in favor of presenting an extreme view point, it was just as immature as the comments you claim to be summarizing.
Sarcasm: harsh or bitter derision or irony

I find it funny that the people on this site BITCH up a storm about console gamers and are willing to feed on themselves when a PC focused title comes out and is not perfect. I'm not sure what will make this community happy (aside from perfection).

I don't think it's immature to realize that most of the posts in this thread are whining and complaining about the game. Yes, there are a few posts that make decent points but the reality of it is that people will not be happy with this game until it's released (and maybe not even then).

Also, the beta versus demo may not fly for YOU anymore, but keep in mind that there was no illusion that this was going to be fully functional. It was promoted as a beta, was downloaded as a beta, and even says BETA in the upper right when playing the game. This is not final code; for all we know this could be code from 6 months ago. We pre-ordered so that we could try out the game before a demo or product was released. I'm happy with it and look forward to the finished product; then again I usually see the glass as half-full.

Lasly, I'm not getting pulled into a flame war - you've made it very clear that you don't care for the beta; don't like it, don't buy it.

~~Crim~~

112. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 11:42 Verno

It's a BETA, not a DEMO

Again, this excuse doesn't fly anymore. The beta was heavily promoted to the point of even being included as a "preorder bonus". Betas are glorified demos these days, we know it and the industry knows it too. Are they looking for feedback and to troubleshoot problems? Sure, but they're also using it as a marketing tool and they know people will be making purchase decisions on some level based on it. People don't seem really upset with the technical shortcomings in the first place. When you start advertising your beta and using it as a tool to make you money then you no longer get to hide behind the shield that the label provides.

Your so called summary of the thread was ludicrous and ignores all fair minded comments in favor of presenting an extreme view point, it was just as immature as the comments you claim to be summarizing.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2011, 11:49.

111. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 11:42 Creston

Dev wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 21:20:
This says 4gb RAM is limit for 32 bit win 7. So, no excuse not to get that extra 1 GB

That's not how it works, Dev. A 32 bit memory controller can access a TOTAL of 4GB of RAM, but that includes every type of memory you have in your system. So your videocard counts against it.

So, like in the example Nuclear gave, if you have 3GB of memory and a 1GB videocard, adding an extra 1GB of memory to your system will probably get you exactly zero extra memory to use in Windows. (though it varies.)

The best info I can find suggest that you can likely achieve 3.5gb even with the video card. Video cards don't usually map all their memory into that space.

It seems to vary a bit between setups. I think the controller automatically maps half of the available video memory. I have a 32 bit box (still waiting on our "official" 64 bit win7 image. We're a slow company) with 4Gig, and I put a Quadro FX 4800 in it, along with a Quadro FX380. Total video memory is 1.75GB. Task manager reports my total available memory is 2813MB. (ie, I don't get access to over a Gig of my RAM.)

Whats sad is this arbitrary limit in vista/7 32 bit OS is more due to MS's licensing decisions than due to an actual limit. With XP it was possible to have more than 4gb in the 32 bit setup, and even though it wasn't possible to make much use of it, it WAS possible to use it in at least some ways.

Errrr, what? Confused It's not an arbitrary limit that MS put in place to annoy people. It's simply a function of math. A 32 bit controller can address 2^32 addresses, which equals 4GB. You're not getting more addressable space in XP-32. There's a reason why I have to support people who are on XP-64 (which is the most horrifying pain in the ass to support ever...)

As for the server browser through your internet browser, I wonder how long it's going to be before one of the frequent FF / Chrome updates breaks their plugins and people suddenly can't join? Seems risky to hang your entire MP experience on frequently changing 3rd party software.

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2011, 11:49.

110. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 11:23 Linksil

CrimsonPaw: Nice way to misread ever single post in the thread and post "info" based on them.

Knifing: Yes instant kills were annoying(Even though i'd do full rounds of them), But the current setup for knifing is just frustrating. I've emptied full clips into people I crawled into, to have a leaf from the plant block it, then when I go to knife I get shot once and die. Also i'll be on top of people from behind and just because they are firing a gun I can't do the way to long extended animation to kill them. Then this sound and tickle of a knife on their back causes them to turn around and kill me. Unless you sneak up on someone from behind that isn't doing anything the knife is useless.

If your not going to let us rebind keys because you disconnect us while in the rebind menu, don't put a useless key right next to and between useful ones.

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

109. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 10:34 CrimsonPaw

I shall save some time for anyone wanting to get the information from this thread:
  • BF3 is the worst game ever

• It is impossible to rebind keys

• Server browser is from the 1960s

• Even though it's a beta it should reflect final code - EPIC FAIL

• The included open map, Metro, is like playing a multiplayer Doom 2 map

• The closed beta map, Caspian, is more in line with previous Battlefield games, but has bugs so this game will suck

• It's a BETA, not a DEMO - I get kicked out every 10 minutes because of server communication loss, my K/D ratio is probably 1/8, I have been promoted to level 1 FOUR TIMES!!!! All I can say about the game is this - I'm still looking forward to it. Dice has never let me down and this BETA is the worst case scenario of the experience; an experience that is still better in it's broken state than 1/2 the other $60 games out there.

~~Crim~~

108. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 09:06 Verno

Wow they are really stupid sometimes. There's a reason those servers were completely filled all last night: Metro Rush sucks. It's poorly balanced, boring and a terrible showcase of BF gameplay. Most people are going to use the beta as a demo and let's face it, most betas these days are glorified demos so why not. Might as well put your best foot forward.

I'm really on the fence about this game, I hate the client structure stuff (who knew someone could make simple things like keybinding so hard?) but on the other hand Caspian was amazing. If most of the maps are like Caspian then it could be great, if its urban crap like Metro with 1-2 open maps then forget it.

107. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 06:12 SpectralMeat

Well I've managed to get into a few servers last night that had the Caspian Border map playing and that was a blast ! Holy shit what a difference a map makes. Sure there are bugs but I still loved the gameplay. It was also awesome to see some people that can actually fly jets and helicopters. Nothing like attacking the gas station while jets flying overhead so low you can touch them torching the ground, tankers are blowing up etc etc. It was just awesome. Felt like the old BF games.

Oh and by the way Krowen I am getting used to the server browser and it is not so bad as my first impressions were.

Edit: This morning they've thanked everyone for testing the Caspian Border map and now they are shutting down the servers with that map. BALLS !
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/devblog/view/2826551894086251181/

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2011, 08:06.

Steam: SpectralMeat

106. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 04:40 bigspender

wow what a pile of steaming crap - i cancelled both of my pre-orders.  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

105. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 01:58 entr0py

Teddy wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:51:
    Linksil wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:09:
    Knifing is horrible in the game. Also no way to see in game ping really messes with betas, as you can't tell if it's the server, client, or both lagging.

I disagree on the knifing. I've always hated the way it was handled in other games with a random slash resulting in an instant kill. Using a knife in a combat situation is supposed to be a last resort, not a common thing. It's also not instant-fast. You have to lower your weapon, draw a knife and slash, and god help you if an opponent sees what you're trying to do.

It SHOULD be used only for humiliation kills and last resort situations. It SHOULD NOT be CoD style insta-kill as soon as you press the button with someone in melee range.

Vast VAST improvement over knifing from other games.

Couldn't agree more. And I love how a teammate can even save you from a knife kill if they shoot fast enough in the animation. CoD Black Ops was simply goofy with the dual-wielding ballistic knives. However, it's still very satisfying in BF3 to knife someone, maybe more so since it's a challenge.

104. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 00:51 Teddy

Linksil wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:09:
    Knifing is horrible in the game. Also no way to see in game ping really messes with betas, as you can't tell if it's the server, client, or both lagging.

I disagree on the knifing. I've always hated the way it was handled in other games with a random slash resulting in an instant kill. Using a knife in a combat situation is supposed to be a last resort, not a common thing. It's also not instant-fast. You have to lower your weapon, draw a knife and slash, and god help you if an opponent sees what you're trying to do.

It SHOULD be used only for humiliation kills and last resort situations. It SHOULD NOT be CoD style insta-kill as soon as you press the button with someone in melee range.

Vast VAST improvement over knifing from other games.

103. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 00:46 Teddy

ELITE wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:10:
    BF 1942 great game - BF 1943 good game.

BF3? Piece of good looking poop.

I can't get over the crappy gameplay - full clip to kill someone nearly... headshots are worthless... Maybe if I was playing hardcore on a large map - but for now they are not getting my money.

I like my RO2 FULL Beta Release so much better. Bugs and all it's just so much better...

There's very clearly some issues people are having either with lag (video or network) or hitboxes. Either that or they just can't aim. I routinely kill people with 3-4 rounds from an M4A1 or AKS-74U, or a single shotgun hit. I've NEVER had to empty full magazines into anyone, nor have I had any issue with headshots functioning.

There are countless threads in battlelog with people complaining about how lethal the damage model is, that people die too easily, and here you are saying it takes a full clip to kill someone.

There's clearly a disconnect somewhere. The game IS lethal, people die fast. If that's not the case for you, then that's a bug, not the norm.

Edit: Oh, and incidentally, the "falling through terrain" bug seems to be server related. I've played on some where I can't help but fall through no matter what I do, and others where it literally never happens. No idea what the difference is. The downside is, that the ones where I didn't ever fall through consistently crashed and dumped all the players, reporting none of the stats for the round. Shitty choice to make between the two, but the latter also seemed to have better hit recognition so it very well may be lag related.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2011, 00:57.

122 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo