Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Reboot News Nears

Since everyone just loves announcements about announcements, a tweet by Russ Bullock of Piranha Games has word that we may finally be getting some details about their plans for a MechWarrior reboot in about a month: "Hang in there #MechWarrior fans, but take a deep breath it may be another month or so" (thanks Hump). In the meantime, here's what it says on the Piranha Games website about this:

Fresh off our work with Luxoflux-Activision on Transformers2 for Xbox 360 and PS3, Piranha Games is partnering with Jordan Weismann, creator of the BattleTech universe, to develop the all new MechWarrior game. Set in the traditional BattleTech world, the new game is paying homage to 25 years of history and fan dedication with a complete reboot of the MechWarrior series.

The new MechWarrior is set on the planet Deshler in the year 3015 and places you in the role of Adrian Khol, a wayward nobleman who prefers partying and shirking responsibility over his training and studies. However, when House Kurita launches a massive invasion to conquer Deshler, resulting in the death of his entire family, Khol discovers a purpose to fight for.

Gamers will pilot a deadly BattleMech and use information warfare to dominate a dynamic-destructive urban battlefield. The game features include classic and new mechs from the BattleTech universe with persistent character development and plans for a single player campaign, as well as, co-op, and multiplayer gameplay.
“There are ambitious plans for this new MechWarrior”, says Russ Bullock, President of Piranha Games. “We want to capture the sense that you're piloting a giant, walking war machine in the middle of an incredibly dynamic battlefield”.

“Nothing is ever as satisfying as unleashing the kind of firepower that only a mech contains and watching it ravage your target” says Jordan Weisman of Smith & Tinker and co-founder of the BattleTech / MechWarrior.

MechWarrior is being developed for the PC and the Xbox 360.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Oct 1, 2011, 09:04 Fletch

Prez wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 05:08:
Steel Battalion for the original Xbox thingie had an awesome looking controller that came with it. It's the only game that ever made me want an Xbox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion

OMG! I've never seen that before. $200 for the game w/controller (plus an Xbox). Game got good reviews, too, but didn't make any money. Still, everything those controllers could do can be done through custom keyboard and mouse assignments, which all PC gamers already have. And many of us probably still have a Logitech Wingman or Microsoft Sidewinder collecting dust on a shelf somewhere. Mechwarrior were the only games I used my Wingman Extreme for. Torso-twist FTW!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 30, 2011, 23:31 Razumen

Hump wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 18:20:
The 360 controller isn't "limited". I'll play Mechwarrior: Living Legends once in awhile with one and it works fine.

Haha haha ahahahaha. Compared to a joystick/keyboard or even a mouse/keyboard setup a gamepad is ridiculously limited. Sure, you can bind the basics to a gamepad easily enough, but there's no way a gamepad can handle even half of all the controls of a regular MW game.

41. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 30, 2011, 18:20 Hump

Overon wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:41:
A mechwarrior game that is being released on xbox360? How sim-like can it possibly be given the limiations of the xbox360 controller and xbox360 action oriented demographic?

The 360 controller isn't "limited". I'll play Mechwarrior: Living Legends once in awhile with one and it works fine. re; the demographic- Weisman isn't going to allow whatever publisher they choose to water down the gameplay (he walked out on a powerful position at MS because of creative differences). Also, Mechassault showed that while it was a good game, it had no staying power. Simulations that require some thought, patience and a challenging-but-fair learning curve retains a community and longevity.

Lastly, if they piss off the BT community, it'll have the same effect Tribes community had on Tribes Vengeance....it'll tank horribly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

40. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 30, 2011, 14:24 Razumen

Who cares about Gamepads. Full joystick support or GTFO.  

39. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 30, 2011, 08:23 Hump

Reading some of the tweets of the team, it looks like they will be trying to have a special edition controller.

Outside of that, the gamepad is a lot more flexible than you think. Derek Smart managed to get it to work for one of his sims that came out on 360 (yes, he actually accomplished something). Gamepad wont be as immersive as a stick but it can definitely hold its own. I used one for MW Living Legends mod and it worked fine.

Theres also several sticks on the market for the 360. The best one came with the last Ace Combat title.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

38. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 30, 2011, 05:08 Prez

Fletch wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 03:35:
A mechwarrior game that is being released on xbox360? How sim-like can it possibly be given the limiations of the xbox360 controller and xbox360 action oriented demographic?

Exactly what I was thinking. Game development on multiple platforms seems to always be detrimental to the PC version. Yet another game I loved that will (probably) fall victim to consolitus. Mechwarrior doesn't need a "reboot". It just needs a developer who understands what made the originals so fun. And it certainly wasn't fucking "persistent character development".

Steel Battalion for the original Xbox thingie had an awesome looking controller that came with it. It's the only game that ever made me want an Xbox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 30, 2011, 03:35 Fletch

Exactly what I was thinking. Game development on multiple platforms seems to always be detrimental to the PC version. Yet another game I loved that will (probably) fall victim to consolitus. Mechwarrior doesn't need a "reboot". It just needs a developer who understands what made the originals so fun. And it certainly wasn't fucking "persistent character development".

36. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 30, 2011, 02:26 Hump

Sorry for the convoluted news Stephen. The IP is my favorite.

to everyone else- Weisman seems to have full confidence in these guys and they seem to be truly interested in the game we've always wanted. I think they'll do a good job.

- Jim Goad

35. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 23:42 Razumen

It sounds great to have another ACTUAL MW game coming out, but I hope that there's more variety to the locations than just urban sprawls. One of the things that made the past games so good (Especially Mw2 and expansions) was the variety of terrain you found yourself on missions, requiring different load-outs and tactics for each.  

34. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 23:18 dj LiTh

All those goat sacrifices finally paid off  

33. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 20:20 Parias

panbient wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 18:08:
On one hand I'm super jazzed for a new Mechwarrior game. On the other... I really wish they just redid the graphics engine for Mechwarrior2: Mercenaries. To me it was by far the best of the bunch. Full control over your mech company. Full control on what missions you took. Endless replayability with random missions, even once the 'real' campaign was done. No vindication story for some snot nosed noble who preferred slumming it up (are we playing a Hilton?). Just wicked awesome giant robot destruction.

I pretty much agree - I actually really enjoy a scripted, plot-driven campaign (I basically need such a thing to play games these days - I need some underlying sense of purpose as I progress), but Mechwarrior 2 Mercs had it nailed pretty good; you could balance out the main 'plot' missions with random side missions at a whim any time you needed to make some more money. MW4: Mercs sort of did a decent job with this with a gamut of secondary contracts you could pick up, but ultimately just didn't have the same magic. Especially because it didn't offer nearly the same level of control and micro-management.

32. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 18:08 panbient

On one hand I'm super jazzed for a new Mechwarrior game. On the other... I really wish they just redid the graphics engine for Mechwarrior2: Mercenaries. To me it was by far the best of the bunch. Full control over your mech company. Full control on what missions you took. Endless replayability with random missions, even once the 'real' campaign was done. No vindication story for some snot nosed noble who preferred slumming it up (are we playing a Hilton?). Just wicked awesome giant robot destruction.  

31. Re: Well... Sep 29, 2011, 17:46 Parias

Shataan wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 17:17:
I`ll believe it when and only when I see it. Hopefully we get an actual incockpit view this time, instead of QuakeWarrior 4s crap HUD view.

That's basically how it's looking - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhOvbfyyJw

Of course we'll see how well that actually holds up upon release.

30. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 17:42 Prez

I still remember how awesome the announcement trailer looked - make it just like that, and I'm there!!!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 17:36 KilrathiAce

MechWarrior Living Legends > this, especially since this is also developed for xbox 360 outdated hardware. I wish mwll received real deal and became a true commercial product along with crysis wars source code access. It would result in best mechwarrior game ever.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

28. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 17:27 Creston

But is it being rebooted as a gritty FPS? Oh... wait...

a wayward nobleman who prefers partying and shirking responsibility over his training and studies

So, you're playing a NORMAL GUY?

Creston

27. Well... Sep 29, 2011, 17:17 Shataan

I`ll believe it when and only when I see it. Hopefully we get an actual incockpit view this time, instead of QuakeWarrior 4s crap HUD view.  

26. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 16:08 Wallshadows

I am ready to go Jenner class all over your face!

That said, I enjoyed MW but it changed hands way too much and by the time Microsoft got the title, it just didn't feel how I recalled it back when I played MW1 and 2. Then again, I was much younger when I played 1 and 2 so maybe my perspective changed along the way.

I was also a pretty big fan of Heavy Gear 2 but all the weapons felt and looked the same which sort of took away from the combat.

25. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 15:59 Darks

Rossafur wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:49:
Gah, why do they insist on continuing to make every MechWarrior from the perspective of the Inner Sphere? Clans > Inner Sphere. And in every way: mech designs look better, their technology is better, their pilots are better, and their lore is far more interesting. But nooo, they've decided that the Inner Sphere is "more relatable" I guess, and the Clans are the evil warrior clones. Though here it looks like House Kurita are painted as the evil-doers, attacking the home of this Adrian Khol dude who just wanted to party and take advantage of being a nobleman, man! That plot has totally never been done before!
Grumble grumble. (haters gonna hate, though I *have* been waiting for another MW game for a long long time now, but a *good* one for even longer, ha)

give it time dude, they first have to get the cast of chars setup and story before the Clans invade. Give it time, if the series does well they will milk this cow to-death. Then we get the Clans. and I do agree, the clans is the best part of the Mech Universe.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

24. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 14:51 Kastagir

It's probably because the Clans represent the greater threat and therefor present the greatest challenge. If the game is successful, there's no reason why they can't make an expansion from a Clan's perspective. I suspect that even if it is Inner Sphere, you'll eventually be able to pilot a Clan mech. And with all the infighting, you'll probably get to shoot at Inner Sphere mechs on occasion, so all mechs will eventually appear in your sights.

But to be honest, they've been telling us to "wait about a month" for a while now.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo