Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Reboot News Nears

Since everyone just loves announcements about announcements, a tweet by Russ Bullock of Piranha Games has word that we may finally be getting some details about their plans for a MechWarrior reboot in about a month: "Hang in there #MechWarrior fans, but take a deep breath it may be another month or so" (thanks Hump). In the meantime, here's what it says on the Piranha Games website about this:

Fresh off our work with Luxoflux-Activision on Transformers2 for Xbox 360 and PS3, Piranha Games is partnering with Jordan Weismann, creator of the BattleTech universe, to develop the all new MechWarrior game. Set in the traditional BattleTech world, the new game is paying homage to 25 years of history and fan dedication with a complete reboot of the MechWarrior series.

The new MechWarrior is set on the planet Deshler in the year 3015 and places you in the role of Adrian Khol, a wayward nobleman who prefers partying and shirking responsibility over his training and studies. However, when House Kurita launches a massive invasion to conquer Deshler, resulting in the death of his entire family, Khol discovers a purpose to fight for.

Gamers will pilot a deadly BattleMech and use information warfare to dominate a dynamic-destructive urban battlefield. The game features include classic and new mechs from the BattleTech universe with persistent character development and plans for a single player campaign, as well as, co-op, and multiplayer gameplay.
“There are ambitious plans for this new MechWarrior”, says Russ Bullock, President of Piranha Games. “We want to capture the sense that you're piloting a giant, walking war machine in the middle of an incredibly dynamic battlefield”.

“Nothing is ever as satisfying as unleashing the kind of firepower that only a mech contains and watching it ravage your target” says Jordan Weisman of Smith & Tinker and co-founder of the BattleTech / MechWarrior.

MechWarrior is being developed for the PC and the Xbox 360.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:57 Parias

I wouldn't mind taking on another clan adventure, but what I really miss at some of the bonkers missions from the original games.. like the GBL missions where you had to attack a deep underwater base, or fight off attacks from the top deck of your ship in deep space. Or the missions in MW2 Mercs where you had to guard a gigantic chunk of ice that was being sent to a water-deprived planet on a mercy mission - or where you got kidnapped by invading clan forces and had to escape in a hover-tank.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:54 Orogogus

You can lay that at my feet. I loathe the Clans and everything about them.

Except their original 'Mech designs. Barring the two skullyheads, those are pretty good compared to the abject horriblenesss of the other in-house designs.

Other than that, though, I simply don't want a Clan game. Very happy that this game is Clan free.

21. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:49 Rossafur

Gah, why do they insist on continuing to make every MechWarrior from the perspective of the Inner Sphere? Clans > Inner Sphere. And in every way: mech designs look better, their technology is better, their pilots are better, and their lore is far more interesting. But nooo, they've decided that the Inner Sphere is "more relatable" I guess, and the Clans are the evil warrior clones. Though here it looks like House Kurita are painted as the evil-doers, attacking the home of this Adrian Khol dude who just wanted to party and take advantage of being a nobleman, man! That plot has totally never been done before!
Grumble grumble. (haters gonna hate, though I *have* been waiting for another MW game for a long long time now, but a *good* one for even longer, ha)

20. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:46 ^Drag0n^

Ruffiana wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:33:
I thought gold was the new sepia?

Has anyone informed Michael Bay?

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

19. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:42 Burrito of Peace

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:29:
(MS bought FASA, and thus, owns Mechwarrior, no?)

When Tinker and Smith first showed off the CGI footage, I remember their being a link to Wiesman stating that he had regained rights to MechWarrior and, I think, Crimson Skies.

18. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:42 Razumen

This better be at least as good as Mechwarrior 3.  

17. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:41 Overon

A mechwarrior game that is being released on xbox360? How sim-like can it possibly be given the limiations of the xbox360 controller and xbox360 action oriented demographic?  

16. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:40 Kedyn

Time to beat back them sneaky space Japanese!  

15. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:33 Ruffiana

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:29:
Cutter wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 12:21:
I dunno maybe they think they need to sexy it up and are using Michael Bay's style of Transformers for a model. *cringe*

And Sepia! Lots and lots of SEPIA!

I thought gold was the new sepia?

14. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:29 ^Drag0n^

Cutter wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 12:21:
I dunno maybe they think they need to sexy it up and are using Michael Bay's style of Transformers for a model. *cringe*

And Sepia! Lots and lots of SEPIA!

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

13. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 13:03 Burrito of Peace

SWEET! Color me stoked!  

12. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:49 LgFriess

God I hope not! I want the feel of a walking, giant tank. If crouching or laying down is a long, complicated process, I might go for it... like setting up defensively before an expected attack... but not something you would do quickly in the middle of battle.  

11. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:47 Parias

The Pyro wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 12:40:
deadearth wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 11:11:
I'm sure it'll end up being a first person shooter with a cover system and regenerating health.

I kid, i kid.

I'm not crazy about EZ-mode cover, but I probably wouldn't mind having mechs that can crouch. They are humanoid after all I can't remember - did MW4 allow mechs to intentionally go prone and shoot from the ground?

No, you're thinking of Heavy Gear 2. MW3 and 4 did have a "crouch" button though.

Yeah, they're announcing this as if it was an all-new project, but what happened to all the stuff they had announced and were working on several months ago? They had a trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhOvbfyyJw) and everything, then got slapped with a lawsuit over the silly Battletech / Robotech mech design conflict (i.e. the Warhammer). This otherwise sounds like the same thing - they finally got things sorted and are ready to come out of hiding again.

I'm happy this is under development once more, but still paranoid they're going to dumb it down a ton compared to it's predecessors. So long as it doesn't end up like Mech Assault though, I'll bite.

10. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:40 The Pyro

I'm sure it'll end up being a first person shooter with a cover system and regenerating health.

I kid, i kid.

I'm not crazy about EZ-mode cover, but I probably wouldn't mind having mechs that can crouch. They are humanoid after all I can't remember - did MW4 allow mechs to intentionally go prone and shoot from the ground?

9. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:27 CommunistHamster

Hooray!  

8. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:21 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:03 Alamar

I kid, i kid.

Aren't mechwarrior games already first person? And a shooter... Some systems already repair themselves... And I'll leave cover system alone, as I assume people mean 'easy mode' cover where you hold a button, and you can't be hit... as opposed to all those walls and buildings you cover behind : )

-Alamar

6. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:01 Darks

Verno wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 11:16:
You kid but it's probably not far from the truth

Don’t kid yourself; MW will never have anything like that. It’s always been about in field repairs, and that was always been minimal at best to get those. You fight with what you got and make it last. That’s the Mech Warrior way. I think these guys know all too well not to screw this part of the game up.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

5. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 11:54 Paketep

Grendle wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 11:01:
I wonder if your mech will still overheat.

3015?. It will overheat like crazy the moment you fire a couple of PPCs.

4. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 11:22 |RaptoR|

So, wait

What relation does this have to the announced project & trailer from a few months ago? Because that was incredible and it just disappeared

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo