Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 30, 2011, 09:14 Verno

My first run was battle mage as well and I found it to be pretty cake. Magic in general was so overpowered in that game, you just had to be decent at dodging.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 22:07 mag

mch wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 14:22:
I played a Magician my first playthrough and I found it insanely hard. I stuck with it though and it definitely did get easier as things progressed. Poison Swamp can still bite my ass, though.

Second playthrough I went with a faith melee build and it was 100x easier. Of course, I was familiar with all the levels at that point.

I started off with a magic user and thought that it was pretty cake, with a little stealthiness. Of course, if anyone got close to me I died pretty quickly. Over time I built it up into a battlemage, which is really how I like to play most games. It's not too good against black phantoms, but it's pretty good as a black phantom. Also good for PvE.

12. Gears of War 3 sells 3 million copies Sep 29, 2011, 17:31 Creston

cliffyb complains that 6.997 billion people are "haters."

Creston

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 17:21 PHJF

Second playthrough I went with a faith melee build and it was 100x easier. Of course, I was familiar with all the levels at that point.

That was my first character, and he kicked total ass. I don't think I ever lost a battle to an invader with him.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 14:22 mch

I played a Magician my first playthrough and I found it insanely hard. I stuck with it though and it definitely did get easier as things progressed. Poison Swamp can still bite my ass, though.

PSN: CaseDesignate

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 14:15 Rhino

I played ranged in both DS and Elder Scrolls games. They are viable options; and I certainly found Elder Scrolls to be far better suited to ranged than melee, which felt far too button-mashy to me.

Edit: to explain, A little too simplified. I felt like I was hunting the enemy with a bow and arrow. This, as opposed to just up and stabbing or clubbing somebody which was, for me, as satisfying as a sandwich made with processed cheese slices/American cheese.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2011, 14:20.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 14:07 PHJF

People played ranged/magic characters in DS? The game was built for melee combat. That'd be like playing an Elder Scrolls with bow and arrow... yeah, the game has them, but it clearly wasn't made for them.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 12:00 mag

Awesome month for consoles with Ico/SotC and Dark Souls all at once. So much good stuff!  

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 11:49 Rhino

Verno wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 11:46:
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the difficulty, they said they felt the first game was too easy for ranged/magic users in general and boosted the difficulty for them considerably. Looking at the gift item list on the japanese wiki, I don't see a thiefs ring equivalent so far. I do see an HP regen I'm definitely taking though considering the drastic changes to the health mechanics.

In that case, awesome. Maybe I'll pick it up once the little one eases off the crawling, now that she's learned how to do it and is in full exploration mode.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 11:46 Verno

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the difficulty, they said they felt the first game was too easy for ranged/magic users in general and boosted the difficulty for them considerably. Looking at the gift item list on the japanese wiki, I don't see a thiefs ring equivalent so far. I do see an HP regen I'm definitely taking though considering the drastic changes to the health mechanics.

I'm really going to miss The Nexus though. I liked having a central place for the characters to gather, it reminded me of finding a town after a long journey in those old JRPGs and stuff.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 11:38 Rhino

Yeah, I'll admit to even surprising myself with how well I did as an archer. Something about the mechanics just clicked for me where this game was concerned; so toss in the Thief Ring to the mix that had encouraged the enemies to forget about my existence even after shooting them in the face and... well, crap, I just should have dropped the ring somewhere and never looked back.  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 11:36 Verno

Archer is a lot harder to play in Dark Souls from what I hear, enemies are very fast, have larger aggro radius, grouping AI and there are more ranged mobs.

You must be pretty good if you found the 4-x and 5-x levels no challenge though, some of those were pretty damned hard even as a ranged char with the thiefs ring. 4-2 in particular was a tough level.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 11:32 Rhino

I REALLY want this to be good. I have said before that I only found the first world, Boletarian Palace, to be at all difficult, with the others being a comparable walk in the park, only dying (in those other worlds) when I couldn't see a gap in the floor or a cliff because of camera issues or my own character BLOCKING that gap (3rd person view... I love you and hate you all at once!)

I know what part of the problem was: I played an archer, I found that bloody Thief Ring early on... may as well have turned on God Mode, if there was one. If this one has a similar item then I may just avoid it altogether because I firmly believe that ring completely ruined the challenge and some of the enjoyment for me.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2011, 11:00 Verno

Dark Souls outsells Ico-SotC 3-1 to top Japanese chart.

Based on MediaCreate figures:

Demons Souls sold 44k in its first week in Japan.

Dark Souls sold 250k in its first week in Japan.

Can't wait for the NA release.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo