Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I want to thank everyone who offered feedback on my questions about the content on this site, as it was very informative. I admit to being surprised by how many of you said you read and value the masses of techie bullet points below the major morning and evening updates, which I was beginning to expect fell into the tl;dr category. Live and learn. Please feel free to continue to offer opinions on how things are going around here.

Bullet-free Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Wrecking Ball.
Links: The 7 Greatest Videogame Movies.
The Illustrious Omnibus of Superpowers #2. Thanks TDW Geeks.
A Gallery of 15 Road Signs as Movies.
Stories: ‘The Foodie Magician’ and His Tableside Sleights of Hand. Thanks brother19.
Media: Introducing Gamewave, video games delivered right to your door.
Best of September FAILS.
Star Trek TNG HD Trailer. TNG TNG. Thanks nin.
Follow-up: Holy Cow - Inside the Washington Monument during Earthquake.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2011, 08:25  Frans 

zincthallinide wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:47:
Even just a link somewhere on the main page that leads to my profile would work masterfully.
In the sidebar under Customize, User Settings links to a menu with View User Profile as the first entry.
Not ideal perhaps, but it's there.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Return of T-Shirts? Sep 30, 2011, 17:36 Tanj!

Any chance T-Shirts will return? My black retro colors t-shirt is currently grey. Has been for some time and the silk screening on the back is looking well worn.  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 15:03 MxxCon

anyway, that's off-topic of the issue at hand of making bluesnews better.  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 12:34 Mashiki Amiketo

MxxCon wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 12:02:
I disagree. They have somewhat badly documented rules the way the site itself functions(votes/dupes/kills/promotes), but w/ comments I don't feel any pressure to follow "their group think".
I'm sure Ant(#1 or #2 users there) knows videosift better than anybody and can chime in...
You're welcome to disagree with anything you think. Here's some examples:

If you make comments that that disagree with a video. Massive downvotes of comment. Attacks against poster, from personal insults to threats of violence. Someone who sits on the outside looking in, is much easier to see groupthink than someone who's already there. Especially since VS has been on a heavy anti-police, pro-anarchist kick for the last few months. It's an echo chamber in the comments.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

37. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 12:02 MxxCon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 11:56:
MxxCon wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 02:35:
As a comparison, I'm sure you are familiar with http://videosift.com. I feel that community there is much more accepting and friendly to newcomers. If that kind of attitude would spread here, I think we would get a lot more participating members.
Videosift is so unfriendly, and so attack heavy if you don't toe their line, their political line, and follow their group think that people will send you emails and attack you privately.

Sure here on BN, we get into politics, we snipe at each other. But you know, I've see every asshat myself included still poke fun at someone I don't always get alone with. Over there? Nope. You will bend to their will.
I disagree. They have somewhat badly documented rules the way the site itself functions(votes/dupes/kills/promotes), but w/ comments I don't feel any pressure to follow "their group think".
I'm sure Ant(#1 or #2 users there) knows videosift better than anybody and can chime in...

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 11:56 Mashiki Amiketo

MxxCon wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 02:35:
As a comparison, I'm sure you are familiar with http://videosift.com. I feel that community there is much more accepting and friendly to newcomers. If that kind of attitude would spread here, I think we would get a lot more participating members.
Videosift is so unfriendly, and so attack heavy if you don't toe their line, their political line, and follow their group think that people will send you emails and attack you privately.

Sure here on BN, we get into politics, we snipe at each other. But you know, I've see every asshat myself included still poke fun at someone I don't always get alone with. Over there? Nope. You will bend to their will.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

35. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 11:22 xXBatmanXx

bwaaaahahahahahahahaha whew! Thanks for the laugh.....that is a good one! videosift is the troll's den.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 10:25 Verno

Nah, Videosift is unquestionably left-oriented and the editors there can get downright hostile at times. They also aggressively downrank most things that play against their personal views. Then again that's pretty much the internet media in general if we're being honest here. I consider myself a moderate and I'm used to it at this point, sift does have some interesting videos if you just ignore all of the political/religious bashing stuff.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 09:24 MxxCon

Enahs wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 09:01:
MxxCon, VideoSift is ONLY friendly if you share the same political and personal views as the 10 major contributors do.

I do not post there, but I often read comments; and it is full of personal attacks. More then I see here to be honest.

I think everybody is looking through things with roes colored glasses. The general attitude here is no different then any other message board IMHO.
on videosift political and police 'brutality' videos do tend to turn into pissing matches. but those are relatively rare compared to other videos and I mostly stay out of them.

Whereas here, I can't really think of too many "controversial" issues that could/do turn into arguments. Yet those rare times when I do read comments, people here seemed less than friendly.

Also it's "rose" not "roes", you blue colored freak! Nahnah

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 09:23 Beamer

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 19:23:
Jim wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:21:
Blue, I do have a site improvement suggestion, if you could update the CSS to add this:

a{text-decoration:none;}

When I switched to Chrome I found that all of the links on this site have underlines, which adds much clutter and difficulty in skimming. Unfortunately Chrome doesn't give me the option to disable them in the preferences, like every other browser does.
I suggest you don't do this. It's a usability issue. There is a reason why links have underlines. Jim, switch back to another browser if you don't like it

Yeah, I don't get the desire for this. Are links different colors in different browsers, then? How do you know if it's a link and not text?

As for videosift, personally I hate that Blue links to Videosift and not the actual youtube video. I get that he's giving them credit, but often they aren't sized properly, there's never any of the commentary on the video so you need to go to YouTube to find out more regardless, and it seems that lately Videosift has started making it more difficult to get to the YouTube page.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 09:01 Enahs

MxxCon, VideoSift is ONLY friendly if you share the same political and personal views as the 10 major contributors do.

I do not post there, but I often read comments; and it is full of personal attacks. More then I see here to be honest.

I think everybody is looking through things with roes colored glasses. The general attitude here is no different then any other message board IMHO.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

30. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 07:11 jdreyer

It IS funny the way the lurkers come out of the shadows to let their feelings be known.

Anyway, I love the site for the way it is, both the game and tech stuff. THanks, Blue.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 02:35 MxxCon

I don't exactly understand what Blue was talking about regarding the change in content..?
He wants to remove some of the non-game news to post more game news?
Is the reason for not posting those said game news lack of time or he doesn't want the page to become too long?

I personally look through all those sections(except for consoles, don't care for them). I don't click on those links on daily basis but I do look through them. Their selection and variety is very impressive and useful.

Regarding previous requests for Blue's reviews/previews/interviews, etc..Isn't that kind of content really time intensive? In addition to doing all the current awesome news aggregation, he'd also have to do this original content?

Regarding the forums/comments system: I can't quiet describe it, but they do feel a bit...clunky(?) There's nothing specifically wrong with the way they function or look, but still there's something that could be improved to make it more pleasant to use and look at. Maybe all it takes is a bit of CSS spit and shine?

Regarding forum/comments content itself: as you can see from my profile I don't post or read comments very often, even though this is the oldest site I still visit multiple times a day. My 5cents is I feel that the atmosphere here is rather unaccepting. Like it's been said by others, the number of regular posters here is (unfortunately?) small and seems like a close-knit community. It is not too open to outsiders or accepting to external ideas. I guess it is partially because regulars treat and talk to newcomers the same way they treat other regulars, which to an outsider might look hostile or dismissive.

(that's it for now from my 2am rumblings..i might think of something else to post later)

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 20:18 unaloony

I thought you would have posted the results of your feedback survey. Now that would have been informative. What did we say we wanted? Do we get a chance to peer review ourselves or otherwise get a chance to discuss whether we each agree to our aggregate average answers?  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 19:23 netnerd85

Blue, I do have a site improvement suggestion, if you could update the CSS to add this:

When I switched to Chrome I found that all of the links on this site have underlines, which adds much clutter and difficulty in skimming. Unfortunately Chrome doesn't give me the option to disable them in the preferences, like every other browser does.
I suggest you don't do this. It's a usability issue. There is a reason why links have underlines. Jim, switch back to another browser if you don't like it

26. Fucking PS3 Sep 29, 2011, 17:38 Creston

Off topic, but still...

To tie in with the discussion about the fucking horseshit way the PS3 makes you sit around and wait forever to play something. I had downloaded the Renegade Ops demo. 2.5 Gigs, so I turned it on Tuesday night, figured it'd be done downloading when I got back from work on Wednesday.

It had. Great. Let's play!

Click on Renegade Ops thingy.

"Installing game."

What? Why in fuck's name would I download this if I didn't want to have it INSTALLED, Sony? Because I like 3 Gig files on my shitty small harddisk, just eating up space? Was it really too fucking hard for you to Auto-install the fucking thing after I fucking downloaded it?

Wait 15 minutes for the damn thing to install. Finally, I get to play.
Start game. "blablabla, you need an update. Fuck you."

And then got to sit there and wait for another 71MB update to download, because apparently DOWNLOADING THAT RIGHT ALONG THE ORIGINAL FUCKING FILE WAS ALSO TOO FUCKING HARD?!

Goddamn that piece of shit console is a giant fucking pile of aggravation.

/rant.

Creston

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 16:59 gradbot

Oh nice. That looks better. Also adding the hover state back is a good ieda.

a { text-decoration: none; }
a:hover { text-decoration: underline; }

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 16:07 winnetou

Bodolza wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 12:56:
I don't think I've ever clicked on a link in the side bar. [...] For example, sometimes I'll post a comment in the morning, and I'll want to check the thread again later in the day, but there's no quick way to find which thread I posted in.
The side bar provides some kind of access to that: (Customize)->user settings->view my profile.

Regarding community features, I'm not sure if the "Email me when this topic is updated."-feature is working. I believe I tried using it in a recent thread and did not receive a notification. Might have lost the mail in a filter, though.

I'd also like to mention that I appreciate the site as it is. However, if I could make one suggestion, it would be the addition of tags. That would probably make searching the archive easier in the future. If those were user-added like on amazon, it would hopefully not mean a huge amount of extra daily work for you. And as suggested in another post, a certain post count requirement could help prevent abuse- although I'd be far below the suggested value.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 15:59 Enahs

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 15:42:
Blue, I got to be honest. I do not really understand why you do not have shirts and other swag for sell.

If I had to guess, he got stuck with a lot of the last batch.

But yeah, I'd love to see some merch.

Yes, but now he does not have to do anything. Another company would handle all of it and take part of the profits.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 15:51 jdreyer

shuttleswo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 11:24:
Just curious if you have a philosophical objection to link tracking; if you could implement that you would have actual data for what parts of the site are used and which aren't.

He's probably getting that info for free from Google Analytics. If not, you should do it Blue. It's free.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo